Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 pm

seales wrote:
Elusive stranger, have you tried reducing the length of the yo-yo line+/ ensuring the ends are at the leading edge when wrapped? If the lines sit too far tipwards releasing becomes pretty difficult. Also, treat it gently when unwrapping. It wasn't designed to have a line there :).

Hi Jon.

Do you mean the length of the "joiner" between the lines? (bit confused)
But I've got a retrofit roll bar kit coming in the post :) Tim's going to do some fitting instructions.
I couldn't get her to wrap up on Fri but I'm blaming that on the wind around here. 3 sides of the playiing field have houses/trees

But..... I got the STX to axel, cascade, flick flack, lazy susans and a couple of yoyos tonight. I found out that the bridle on that had been altered - turning circle of an oil tanker. It was about 3.5" too long on the spine to tow point! Now almost spins on the spot. Wind was less than walking speed. I'm :-D

seales

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, if the 'joiner' is too long, or too far towards the kite in the first place, it'll let the lines slide too far down the leading edge. I guess by adjusting it, you should even get to the point where the kite barely wants to stay wrapped (lines at upper spreader fittings-that's what was doubling as yo-yo stops when I first learnt to fly wrapped).

Shorter blue joiner, further away from kite on purple lines-easy unwraps.
Longer green joiner, closer to kite on red lines-harder unwraps.
The latter will give better wrapped flight up to a point, but require a more deliberate unwrap.
(Not to scale)

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 am

Cheers Jon. I think mine are too wide.
Ummm wonder if it'll be windy or still tomorrow?!