Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Jules
Topic Author

Revolution Bridle Modification.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello all!

This is my first post of this type but I can assure you that I wouldn't have taken the time to write it up if it wasn't worth the effort.
In fact this mod is very easy, it only really requires very simple knowledge and I have tried to write it up as simply and concisely as possible. I cannot take credit for the mod I was shown it by a French guy at a Kite festival here in Nancy - Clairlieu called Eurovolies.

Revolution Bridle modification As described and photographed by Julian Perkin

The first thing to do is to remove the upper out-hauls of the bridle from the top of the leading edge. On my Baressi 1.5 vented rev, the dimension from the leader line knot, to the end of the tip loop once removed from the end cap, is 57 centimetres precisely.

I used 65 Kg climax bridle line to make the modified sections.

Firstly, you need 2 very short loops tied with a simple overhand knot using the two ends.
(http://iwillknot.com/overhand_knot/)
For these ‘End-cap mini-loops’ cut off two lengths of 12 cm. Burn seal the ends. Double the lengths on themselves to bring the ends together and tie the ends into a overhand knot.

This will give you a small loop, which will be just the right length for the end-cap.

End-cap loop in position with original bridle tied on with a lark’s head knot.
Photo 1

Now, for the two larger bridle sections. What you’re making is two of these:
Photo 2

I can’t remember the exact length of line required but while making them I put white marks every 10 cm along the line as a tying guide to help make the second exactly the same as the first. I think there’s around 90 cm of line required for each section. Obviously, burn seal the ends to stop fraying.
In the photo I have not tied the overhand knots on the loop section, which are used to attach the flying lines.
So, there are two loops at either end with a central knot, also forming a loop that will be used to form the leader line. The knot at the base of this loop is the locus point of the bridle so as to form the dimensions
as seen in photo 3.

The original bridle’s top bridle point is attached to the mini-loop using a lark’s head knot.

In the original upper out-haul you’ll need to tie a normal overhand knot to fall at 32 cm from the end cap as the ‘anchor point’ for the new modified section. Just leave it loose and adjust it to the 32cm from the end cap once the bridle is attached to the mini-loop.

Now; attach the mod section using another lark’s head knot to the ‘anchor point’. Alternatively, you could use a prussic knot, which would enable you to move the anchor point if you want to experiment. (I haven’t.)

There is one final thing to do before flying. You will need to inverse the pigtails from top to bottom and vice versa on your rev handles. This is because of all the extra length generated in this upper bridle point. You could attach some extended leaders to the bottom bridle points if you don’t want to inverse the rev pigtails. I assure anyone who takes the trouble to try this; you will not be disappointed. I’d be grateful of any feedback.

I hope you enjoy it as much as me! :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamie_AP

Re: Revolution Bridle Modification.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Interesting, whats the benefit?
Thanks
Jamie

Jules
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Lol, yeah I suppose that would be useful information.

The kite becomes incredibly more stable. Doing spins on a Dime like John Baressi does in his videos becomes much more accessible. I still can't do them like him but the improvement is dramatic.
Inverted side slides become a dream, I can now do them just centimetres from the deck and they look so graceful and cool.
Axels are easier to pull off and so are flic flacs.

There's a second part to this Mod that adds another line from the top out-haul to the bottom leader line and back up to the centre top. I haven't done this and don't really intend to either, who knows though... Anyway, that mod is supposed to improve reverse greatly. I did fly a Rev with the full mod and it really was very good indeed but I'm already very satisfied with this simple modification. It's very easy to do and very easy to undo if you don't want to keep it.

Hope that helps.
Jules

Old Greebo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks. I'm very new to Revs, but I've copied/pasted all the above into a Word file. When I think I know what I'm doing, I might give it a try!
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for posting details of this modification. When I get some free time I will give it a try :cool:

stuartF

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Made the mods to my rev on Saturday. The whole thing took less than an hour.
I can confirm that 90cm is a good length for the new part.
When I looked at my handles, the pigtails were all the same. Therefore I knocked up a couple of extensions and tied them to the original lower line attachment points. Knot to knot, they are 20cm long.
Test was successful and I could fly better than last time (which is however still pretty crap).

Try it!

Stuart
the lunatic is on the grass

Jules
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello Stuart,
Glad to see that this has been of use to someone at least.

I'm modifying the bridle on my Prism 4d at the moment. It's such a light kite and I so little experience this is taking a long time, but I'm definitely improving the handling of the kite. Nothing to do with Quand lines but interesting all the same. If I can make the 4d improve as much as this mod does the rev then I'll be really chuffed.