Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ryder666

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 pm

people just dont think do they i have been attacked 3 times by dogs on the common there all daft try tacking a recipt for the kites with you wave that at the owners

t
in the bag,
levle 1 merlin (for sale)
benson gemini
flexifoil psycho
hq baby tamontana
current holder of library prism ozone
a long line set
a short line set
odds an sods

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 am

While this is not possible in all cases, you have only one option when you see a dog approach: YELL.

Call out to the owner. Call out to the dog. Make it verbally clear to anyone who can hear that the dog needs to leave the kite alone. Yelling 'Go away!' or 'No!' or 'Is your dog going to eat my kite?' all might appear as over reactions to the owners or to bystanders. But if it saves your kite or raises the owners' awareness of what's at stake, we win a little.

Two things are more likely to happen if you yell. 1.) If the dog comes to you or runs away, you win. 2.) If the owner thinks YOU are scared of the dog, they are more likely to attempt to call back their dog.

That being said, and being a dog owner myself, for every responsible dog owner...you'll find 10 who are barely functional socially.

The bottom line for me is destruction of property is destruction of property. The only time this has happened to me, I chased the owner and demanded action. It's not a toy, it's personal property. If the dog jumped up, bit your iPod, and broke it, they would owe you compensation. Dog owners need to understand that this is no different. It should be framed as such from the moment you address the owner. 'Your dog has destroyed personal property of mine worth 200 euros. What are you going to do about it?'

Good on you for photographing them. That's not nearly as invasive as their dog f#%&ing up your evening.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

benjai
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks for all the supportive messages guys. Having calmed down a bit, I realised that the damage was actually pretty minor (still it shouldn't really have been any damage) so yesterday I set about it with the superglue. It's the first time I've had to repair a sail and I think it turned out pretty well. Next time I'll use less superglue, but I didn't want to have to line the edges up again. I think it looks better than if I'd used tape...

So I suppose a reasonably satisfactory outcome, and the Gem lives to fight another day...

Infinitive

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 pm

If you found the glue got crusty on drying, try using the low viscosity stuff (Maplins have it). (and yes use less than you think you'll need).
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

damp_weather

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

Infinitive wrote:
If you found the glue got crusty on drying, try using the low viscosity stuff (Maplins have it). (and yes use less than you think you'll need).

...Definately right about using less than you think. I tried Zap-a-gap pink - which is the super thin penetrating CA in the Zap-a-gap range. Applied two or three drops. Trouble was, it travelled by capillary action between the sail and the backing sellotape (used to keep the tear together while the glue sets). Is the Maplins one fundamentally different?
Next time I will experiment with much less glue and different viscosities.

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Another one down:

Pretty gutted about this one. It's been my go-to kite for some time.

Watch out for these two (and the dog) if you're flying on Southsea Common

The dog went back for more, even after the owners turned up. I told them the value and they said they had nothing on them, so I asked for a number and the guy said "The dog hasn't got a phone." and off they went.

A couple of witnesses gave me their numbers and Tom (Ryder666) says they're local and well known, so I'll be calling Southsea police later.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Sorry mate ... good luck with the Rozzers.

People on my training rides are now carrying Pepper Spray to ward off aggressive dogs.

I'm thinking I might keep some handy in the kite bag too ...

-Frazer

ryder666

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 pm

you should be able to get something done about it
they are known so shouldnt have too many problems

tom
in the bag,

levle 1 merlin (for sale)

benson gemini

flexifoil psycho

hq baby tamontana

current holder of library prism ozone

a long line set

a short line set

odds an sods

benjai
Topic Author

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Sh1t mate, that's a shame.

Hope you have some luck getting them to pay up.

Infinitive

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:58 pm

That is a tear-welling sight, sorry about that Andy. :shock: :alright: :beer:
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

atho

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Yip it was a good evening until that happened.':(' Just wish we had been able to stop it before it happened. So sorry Andy

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 pm

I was trying to stop you from handling the dog... the kite was a gonner when we got there, last thing we needed was it hanging off your arm. :shock:

atho

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 pm

No worries I have another arm Mate, but I havn't got another Akuji

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Ouch! hope you get a good result when you get the Police involved
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Tregolwyn

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

That's one of the worst I've seen. Good luck with the Police but the legal advice I received when my Nirvana got trashed a couple of years back was not a lot of comfort. My post from the time is repeated below.

Tregolwyn wrote:
Got some free legal advice and it seems that to pursue a claim for damages I have to prove negligence. It seems I have not got any chance as :

The restrictions on dogs being on leads on the beach in question had ended a month earlier so the dog owner was not negligent in having a dog off a lead.

I cannot prove that the dog was dangerous so it is not negligent for it to be off a lead or unmuzzled (just to clarify it is not clear whether the dog bit the kite or put its foot through it).

The owner was not negligent in her reaction and did all she could to stop the dog from damaging the kite (running over and putting it on a lead).

It seems that morally I have an argument but legally I have no chance of pursuing it.

The upshot of it is that you fly in the vicinity of dogs at your peril. I suppose sports equipment insurance cover might be a consideration but it is probably going to cost.

Paul

Worth checking the local by-laws about restrictions on dog walking and the owners attitude seems to have some relevance, did they try to stop the dog attacking the kite for instance.

Good luck

Paul