Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

RossGoodman
Topic Author

Next Kite - Cesium or Gemini ?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:36 pm

Not wanting to start a fight but ......

Bearing in mind I'm still a rank beginner and I know I should master the kites I have ........ I must buy just one more .....

LOL

Won't happen for a few months but I have noticed:

Gemini - Everyone has one, is there anything it can't do ?
Cesium - Getting good reviews (and I think it looks nice)

Opinions ?

bevnutrino
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Next Kite - Cesium or Gemini ?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:53 pm

RossGoodman wrote:

Not as such, but it does resist some of the newer tricks eg.comets - they can be done, but it's not the best kite to learn on.

However, I've never flown a Cesium so am unable to comment on that kite's abilities.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 pm

A Cesium will do most if not all of what a Gemini will do, for about £40 less (unless you can find a second-hand Gem).
:D
Andy

RoyReed

Re: Next Kite - Cesium or Gemini ?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:49 pm

The Cesium also comes fitted with yoyo stoppers as standard (the Gem doesn't).

bevnutrino wrote:
RossGoodman wrote:

Not as such, but it does resist some of the newer tricks eg.comets - they can be done, but it's not the best kite to learn on.

On the other hand the Gem does better axels, backspins and 540s than the Cesium - flatter, smoother and more elegant.

You could of course have the best of both worlds and wait a couple of weeks for a Deep Space ;)
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:44 pm

I think that they represent slightly different styles and therefore you should get them both. One day you will be having them both, get the cessium first since it is cheaper and comes with nice lines and straps.
I second hand gemini will appear once the deep space is available!
Bastiaan.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:57 pm

My Gem is second hand to no one!!!!

I don't care how good the Deep Space is (will be), I still think that I'll be flicking and flacking the Gem in equal amounts to the DS.

Ask me again in three months time and I may very well be of a different opinion and I hope so.

I love my Gem, it's all I've flown and I'm seriously locked-in to it, now.

Must say that of all the French kites, the Cesium is somewhat appealing to me (after conversation with Andy P.!) :lol:

Mark

slippery

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:22 pm

same prob here, wife says she will buy me £200 of kite for xmas :D :D :D , with the proviso that i can't fly xmas day :cry: :cry: but a gem or a frenchy?, then again, maybe a 2.5 ozone fury,i know you hate it when i say that :P

Steve Porter

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Ozone Fury = toy kite.
Get yourself a Gin Yoz you goat!

Just Because A Cat Has Her Kittens in the Oven Doesn't Make them Biscuits

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:36 am

Hi Mar r

Im biased supposedly as the following retailer supports me with Level One kites but, the Level one 'X-TREME' available from http://www.gokites.co.uk/ is trickier than the Cesium (IMO) and might save you a few quid more. Wouldn't normally get involved in blatant promotion like this but it really is something special that hasn't really been flown much in the UK yet - but those who have, have been mighty impressed with it. Neil

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:04 am

If you're a rank beginner as you say you are then I wouldn't recommend the Cesium to learn on. It's far too fast, you'll never figure what's going on. It also has a much narrower workable wind range than the Gemini and doesn't always react the same way twice for the same inputs whereas the Gemini does. So my advice would be to go for the Gemini.
Jason.

whisky

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:46 am

then again, maybe a 2.5 ozone fury,i know you hate it when i say that

BURN HIM, HE BE WIZARD :P

I had the chance to try IMM's (International Man of Mystery) Cesium at Dunstable fest in a rather light breeze... had a nice light feel to the hand, not a typical frenchy. It did everything in my unskilled hands. It reminded me a little of the Area 51 but heavier, a little unstable in a fade, but the wind wasn’t good that day... The only thing I didn’t like was its tendency to want to back flip all the time, if you gave it the slightest hint of a slack line, flop its over. Great for multilazy susans, roll up’s, but I wasn’t trying. Jason did say that there is a fair bit of weight in the tail. More wind would have been fairer on the kite, very very trickable, not as graceful as Gem. Hasn’t changed my mind about 4C1 and the DeepSpace.

Popeye, what did you think
Last edited by whisky on Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greedily wants: Benson Beanie................... Still waiting!!! (Zippy8 wrote "this near mythical beast")

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:15 am

There's a nice tasteful Gem for sale on GWTW here and with the exchange rate as it is $150 is only 80 earth pounds
Jason.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:22 am

URL's not working for some reason.
Picture here... http://community.webshots.com/photo/378715625IUrniq
GWTW thread here... http://www.gwtw-kites.com/forum/topic.a ... C_ID=23722
Jason.

Popeye

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:46 am

Like Alan I tried the Cesium at Dunstable but the wind was a bit on the light side to get a really fair impression. As Alan said it does go over on its back very easily and I could'nt get it to fade for very long but then again light wind etc. Having said that it looked good in Jasons fair hands and it is fairly inexpensive. I can imagine that it is quite fast when the wind picks up and may not suit a beginner.

Didier
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:30 pm

Neil E wrote:
Hi Mar r

Im biased supposedly as the following retailer supports me with Level One kites but, the Level one 'X-TREME' available from http://www.gokites.co.uk/ is trickier than the Cesium (IMO) and might save you a few quid more. Wouldn't normally get involved in blatant promotion like this but it really is something special that hasn't really been flown much in the UK yet - but those who have, have been mighty impressed with it. Neil

Hello Neil,
Here are a few tricks that the Cesium does.
http://www.atelierkites.com/kites/cesium/std/videos.php

You said that X-Treme does more. Could you show me, please ?
Didier