Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Marnavi
Topic Author

What lines do you recommend for... RESOLVED

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:43 pm

Hi everyone! I've just bought an old Frenezy from R - Sky, I know that it hasn't been the best purchase considering that I'm still at the beginning of the long road of tricks, since I've heard that it's a very nervous kite, But hey, the market for second-hand kites here in Spain is nil, every 2 or 3 years some are seen on the second-hand market, well here's the main question: what lines do you recommend? considering that it is a small kite (2m)
Last edited by Marnavi on Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just started building my kite bag!! Kite bag: R-sky Frenezy, Eolo Neox, HQ Jam Session, Eolo Over ventrex, Eolo Over Icarex, Eolo Tango 1, HQ Maestro II and searching for a Nirvana and JoE Talon!

midibot

Re: What lines do you recommend for...

Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 pm

While I am familiar with a fair number of R-Sky kites I have not flown a Frenezy so I am sure that if I am overlooking something on recommendations for your kite, someone may pipe in here.

Personally, I like about 25metres of approx 35kg lines for my kites that are what has been called 3/4 kites in normal winds of 10-15kph where I fly. At your stated 2m, your kite would fit in that size category I should think. I am assuming that your kite is a “STD” version. In more wind, I might go up to the next heavier weight, perhaps even approx 50kg. (If it is a lighter wind version of the kite, perhaps a little lighter weight of line.)

As you seem to be just starting out in flying, you may find it slightly easier to fly with a little longer lines, which increases the size of your window - so perhaps (up to) 30metres. I enjoy even shorter lines on some of my kites but that also shortens reaction time.

It will come down to personal preference with time and experience, the places you fly and prevailing wind conditions, in addition to the type of kite.

Have fun!

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:46 am

I wouldn't fly the Frenezy on anything longer than 70/75 feet ... its a small kite, not much presence/weight on the lines.

It is a great kite tho, first and second editions. Where in Spain are you located ? The best way to improve is to fly with others.

-Frazer

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:47 pm

When I had a Frenezy (many years ago!) I used 60ft/18m or so, fun kite but twitchy \:D/

midibot

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:17 pm

Good to see some kite specific answers.

In looking around for info on the kite I came across this nice little video of the Frenezy being put through its paces, on the ickytv site:

https://kareloh.com/ickytv_wp/wordpress ... revisited/

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 am

My memories failing but I vaguely remember it coming out at a similar time to the Cavaliers du Ciel Furio (later know as the STX 1.9) similar size to the Frenezy but better behaved and just as tricky, the CdC series of kites ( STX 1.9, 2.1 & 2.3) became very popular for a short time alongside the RSky series of the Frenezy, Opium and Nirvana, however the CdC kites came ready to fly, whereas the RSky kites came very basic with no weights (we didn't even realise it was a thing for a good while) and very strange bridle settings, so you'd have to re-tie a bridle and attach weights to the tail to get it to fly anywhere near as well as the RSky pilots flew them in their videos.

Guess I'm trying to say be prepared to play with tail weights and different bridle settings!

Marnavi
Topic Author

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:02 pm

fworley wrote:
I wouldn't fly the Frenezy on anything longer than 70/75 feet ... its a small kite, not much presence/weight on the lines.

It is a great kite tho, first and second editions. Where in Spain are you located ? The best way to improve is to fly with others.

-Frazer

Well, I am in Asturias, but here there is hardly anyone left who flies kites and I have no one to fly with hahahaha, I am 21 years old and I like kites because of my father, I had an eolo over and a tango years ago, he was also a friend from a worker at eolo sport, this was a spanish company that had a warehouse and most of the workers were from asturias, my father never flew to do tricks, the kites simply caught his attention and he bought them, but it was not until recently that I decided to start doing tricks, the only kite that I had more or less useful was the over, which is a very good kite today, but for some reason it doesn't perform tricks as simple as lazy susan or rising fade, that is It sort of doesn't rotate on its transverse axis, but hey, I bought a new second-hand eolo neox for 35 euros and it was the one with which I was learning my first axels, flic flac, lazy susan etc... but a rod broke and I'm waiting for the replacement, I saw that there was a frenzy of r - sky for 80 euros and since the market for second-hand kites here is practically nil, I decided to buy it, the truth is I don't expect a big change according to the neox since it is even smaller, the neox already seemed too small and too unstable to learn to do tricks, but well, I guess all this later when I have a more stable one it will benefit me
I just started building my kite bag!! Kite bag: R-sky Frenezy, Eolo Neox, HQ Jam Session, Eolo Over ventrex, Eolo Over Icarex, Eolo Tango 1, HQ Maestro II and searching for a Nirvana and JoE Talon!