Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

cstubbs05
Topic Author

newbe

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:15 pm

hi all I have just got back into kite flying as I used to fly flexifoil bullets and buggy when they first came out years ago.
my 2 daughters are showing an interest in flying now they are around 10, so I bought them a couple of Peter Lynn Hype Play kites a 1.3 and a 1.9 and a hq jive 3 and also got myself a revolution exp reflex the newer version I think. both of my daughters had some fun the other week flying there's and getting the hang of flying.
I was run ragged helping out on crashes think my eldest was aiming at me everytime as was a bit sus she crashed right next to me each time....
so once they get the hanging of not crashing on me I will give them the jive to learn with..
I had my first outing with the rev last week but I think it was very gusty wind as I did struggle alot keeping it in the air. I couldn't afford to get a rx or any of the better revs I was told to get if I could afford one but sadly not this year now.. I hope I will be able to learn how to fly it in better winds as hope I don't regret buying the starter rev as was expensive for me...
Anyways thought ide say hi and give a little info on some experience and what kites we have at the moment.. and maybe get abit of advice on how to improve my flying as we as my girls and what is the best length of lines to learn to fly the rev etc

so hi all

Thanks for any replies in advance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Exult

Re: newbe

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 am

> my 2 daughters are showing an interest in flying now they are around 10, so I bought them a couple of Peter Lynn Hype Play kites a 1.3 and a 1.9 and a hq jive 3

Look for light wind when your daughters learn to use the HQ Jive (a dual, if not obvious for everyone) so you don’t need to worry about breaking the kites. Learning to control a barely powered (at least 2-line) kite reduces many of the unplanned powered (with tight lines) unplanned landings. A kite falling like a leaf won’t break. See an almost windless session as an excellent learning occasion. Make tiny jumps just 50 cm in the air and land (nose upwards), then a metre (and land), then 1.5m… Learning to de-power (slack on the lines) a kite early might save the kite itself from powered crashes so they there is any kite left to progress learning on.

Later when learning more, learn to control the bridle setting so that stalls(/barely flying) are achievable in somewhat higher winds to one day open up for slack line tricks.

> and what is the best length of lines to learn to fly the rev etc

With 4-line kites I started in light wind using 15m lines. My choice of the 15m line length was questioned, but on the other hand I was comfortable using 6m (something) lines on the Prism 4D. The first sessions with the quad I got by by considering the brake lines to be lines of a 2-line kite (pulling right turns right). Muscle memory from duals helped me here.

> I don't regret buying the starter rev as was expensive for me

I’m confident that a Revolution Reflex EXP is more than enough to learn quads on. Wear it out learning!: “A worn kite is a feather in my cap - Any stain is an insignia of use.“ However do not wait too long getting a vented quad, since in only a bit higher wind the control gets jittery. The Rev Exp, as all Revs now, has the lock in side effect. The nocks/fittings) of the spars and the diameters of the spars are chosen so that the Revs are not compatible with spars from other quads. Perhaps modifying the nocks if you want to break free to e.g try softer cheaper spars? I only have older Revs and other brands of quads, so I have not seen the new Rev fittings and spars myself.