Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

woody482
Topic Author

Vented kites.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi,
Can anyone tell me why Kite makers have stopped making vented kites?
Own Prism QP and Benson DP Vented enjoy flying in stronger winds.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Vented kites.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 pm

I'm sure Tim would make one if begged, I think that a lot of makers have slowed almost to a stop on most kites, if they even exist any longer.

Lex B

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:42 pm

I noticed a tendency to rather build heavy kites than vented ones. Dunno if that's only with the ostk or also wit the pro's.
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:52 pm

I think the market for venteds is too small. R-Sky did made some for teams, N3E available in three vented versions. But also not there anymore.
I remember Benson had problem with the tape around the holes.

I love my (open source) 90Three CW:
https://www.kareloh.com/kite-plans/90th ... ted_krijn/

Krijn

fourmatic

Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:14 am

VTD ones are rarely used too.The std or heavy build std will easily replace the full vented trick kites.The reason of that tendency between major kite builders its their high price(comparing with std) and most of the time user will not use it.Making the sail is much more complicated(mesh reinforcement or specific shape holes like DS).Required a lot of effort and requests are very limited.

Exult

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Well, when starting out with framed quads I think that it is the most common to, as quick as possible, make sure that you have kites of various venting. I still have more DLKs than quads, but yet I have no vented DLKs. I have only tried a vented DLK once many years ago, but was a bit disappointed with that the wind window got so small. During the same session I still could do the tricking along the edge of the wind window, with an at the time, rather new Jam Session (I told you that it was a long time ago… :wink: ). If it is windy I much prefer a vented quad with a stiff LE over a DLK. However I don’t do much DLKing today – for a quick kite fix it is so easy to go to the nearby quite sheltered parking for a low wind short line QLK session as soon as the wind is low enough for the turbulence to be low.

Rory

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Having had an almost 10 year hiatus from sport kites due to health issues I've had my fantastic Carl Robertshaw vented Fury out a few times recently. Where I live we have an average wind speed around force 4, 13 - 18mph but often much more. I've had the vented Fury out in winds over 30mph, not much trickery but great fun! Slacken the sail and she makes one hell of a noise but fairly reduces the pull. In gusty winds I put a mesh nappy on her and she flies like a baby even in the nastiest of wind! I also have a standard Fury that can take a good bit of wind especially if you put a bow line on it, but more often than not I'll use the vented if the wind is above 15mph. Tighten everything up on the vented and she flies silently and behaves almost like the standard if the wind is around 10mph.

I do like vented kites, but if the wind is really howling I have my ancient Psycho that's still going strong after almost 20 years (it's been reframed numerous times and now has full length Skyshark LE spars as it always used to break at the ferrule join). My vented Fury has 6mm inserts in the cross spars, makes it heavy but very stable and strong.

Just ordered a Superfly from Tim, I would love a vented version of that!
CR Vented Fury 2.5m
CR Fury 2.5m
Flexi Psycho
Dot Design Nitrik Pro
Premier Addiction
Benson Superfly STD