Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Decalle
Topic Author

New member and some tipycal questions

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello eveyone, nice to find some place to reconnect with kite hobbie.
I was doing some kiting like 20 years ago and then work, kids, relocation away from the shore made me stop.
After this long break , I was biten by the kite bug again.
I have a Flexifoil Stranger in good condition, a Prism Macro Ion and a french Kite ( do not remember the name)
I left it when I was starting to axel on the Stranger...
Now I am practicing again and waiting for my new Deep Space..to try to improve and trick a litlle bit more and better
Now my questions..
1) I also like level one kites and I am doubting between Badass and Blackpearl, to complement my DS and try to motivate my son into this hobby to share.., what do you think is better complement to the DS?
2) Repairing the Stranger I noticed  a leech line is attache to the wingtips, apart from reducing the noise, what is the impact of tensioning the leech line?
3) Any recomendation in changing the frame structure in the Stranger to make it more up to date ( I am flying inland now in 10 to 20 km/h)?
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE..

Decalle
Topic Author

Re: New member and some tipycal questions

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Well, I will update, finally I got both kites
The Black Pearl arrived first, and it is a very good kite, excellent materials frame and sails
Nice tracking,a noticeable  buzz sound when loaded , gentle pull
I have flown in winds from 8 to 25 Kmh like six sessions.
Within this range is really fun and sensitive to comands, in high winds can pull a bit but not unconfortable 
Axels and half axels are under practice now with good results so far, better with my right hand but progressing also with the left.
Just half a dozen of nose plants revealed a nose week point as the spine spar is eroding the nose reinforcement,thinking now in adding some extra Dacron or similar at this point either glued or stiched.
Today the Deep Space arrived and the quality of the finish is top notch, better than the level one product.Every detail is perfect.
Eager to fly this beauty, but wind inland in Madrid is very erratic.
Will report progress

Decalle
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Lex B

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Decalle wrote:

Nice DS!
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Decalle wrote:
The Black Pearl arrived first, ..................
Just half a dozen of nose plants revealed a nose week point as the spine spar is eroding the nose reinforcement,thinking now in adding some extra Dacron or similar at this point either glued or stiched.

As I understand it, Level One did change their nose material some years ago as perhaps it was considered not tough enough. My twelve year old 'genesis' showed wear around the nose pocket more than another cheaper kite I was flying at the time.Eventually the stitching near the nose spine pocket came away and the spine popped out. A lovely floaty kite,the genesis has sat awaiting repairs for too long.

Decalle
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:41 pm

It has a reinforcement stitched, but seems to me a little bit week specially if you are learning tricks
For example the material on the nose of the Deep Space seems stronger
Thanks for sharing

Zuul

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:28 am

2) Repairing the Stranger I noticed  a leech line is attache to the wingtips, apart from reducing the noise, what is the impact of tensioning the leech

The same motion in the sail that makes noise also acts to slow the kite.  A tight leach line allows the kite to accelerate better and go faster.  A loose line gives you a natural air-brake in higher winds.

Decalle
Topic Author

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am

Nice, Thanks a lot

Decalle
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Well ,I have been flying the DS finally in light winds and mmaybe it is interesting to others some of my experience:
It is a very good kite with excelent manufacturing quality
Can fly in really low wind , it started to be responsive at 6/8 km/h depending on wind quality.
It is more chalenging in my view that the BP, but gives you more feedback of the quality of your imputs
More trick oriented than the BP ,slow flyer but fun to learn.