Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

sprdbryj
Topic Author

Where has everyone gone?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

Hi there.

In the last few years I've flown very little, largely due to work and other priorities.

Lockdown gave me the opportunity to fly a bit more and rekindled my interest.

On coming back to FA I notice that there is very little new content with some surprising omissions eg. No Supernova review.

Has the kiting worldmoved onto another platform in my absence?

Lex B

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:21 pm

A lot of us are still here.
Looking every day if someone else has posted something. :P
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:51 am

There is quite a bit of activity on Facebook Groups like 'Benson Kites' and 'Stunt Kite Classics'.
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows." - Bob Dylan.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am

I have never done Facebook and never will.

sprdbryj
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Ditto re Facebook.

jaydub

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Still around and looking in here regularly.  Can't say the same about flying though!

RoyReed

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 am

Same re FB
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Ashbridge

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:21 am

I'm (relatively) new to kiting compared to most on this forum. 
Been flying since about 2012, but only started to make serious trick progress in the last 4 years or so, after making the switch to higher-end kites.  Pretty typical from what I understand.
As well as peeking in this forum, I do check the facebook groups regularly.  
I know there are mixed opinions of FB, and as a Gen Xer I do prefer more traditional forum setups like this one.  
But whatever one thinks of the platform, there are some amazing pilots posting on there across a pretty wide international spectrum.  It's a pretty good resource for flying videos.
The Drachen forum in Germany also seems to be fairly active.  I've actually been trying to brush up on my written German a little so I could post over there occasionally.  Google Translate isn't really trustworthy enough.
Anyway, just wanted to raise my hand and say Fractured Axel is appreciated, even though it's fairly quiet.  :)

711jrp

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:53 am

As someone who was born in the sixties I was very anti FB for many years, but after caving in and joining a few years ago it has been a tremendous asset to me. I have met great people, bought stuff, sold stuff, gained a bit of knowledge, shared a bit of knowledge and most of all it's been a big help in my working life. I fully understand there is good and bad in most things but I see it more like a tool and as with any tool it's how you put it to use is the inportant thing.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:50 pm

I couldn't run my cycling club without facebook, at least not without all manner of additional complications and cost! The entire Zwift indoor cycling social forums are all in FB too.

Andy55

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Be nice to make the forum more lively. Apparently there is some stuff going on in Facebook, but I am holding out on that as I have never really wanted to enrol

Andy55

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:50 am

Trying to up the momentum in these troubled times, thought with more lockdowns looming we would have a bit more activity, we don’t have to meet up, though local persons could have a socially distancing fly in your own neighbourhood, the thing about kite flying is it’s peaceful and can be done on any bit of open ground with no overhead obstructions. Those by the sea can use the beach, it’s also quite good excercise.

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:05 am

I think in general, many traditional forums such as this have had their day. Which i think is a shame as they're a fantastic resource and archive for many amazing topics. I grew up in the 80s/90s and also didn't really like FB when it first arrived, but its in no doubt that that's where people are these days.
Those holding out should really try it, there's a wonderful network of flyers and groups on Facebook, as well as selling pages specifically for stunt kites and even one for the classic stunt kites many of us know and love.
I always lurk in here and check back from time to time, but mainly because many sales pop up here.

Maybe worth setting up a Fractured Axel Facebook group? I
'd be happy to start it up so people here have somewhere to migrate to should they wish to.
This is a wonderful forum though and id like to say thank you to everyone who has and continues to share such invaluable knowledge, I've taken a lot from the guys on here.

Cheers :)
Freestyle kite buggier... attempting to learn how to freestyle deltas

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:35 am

Does this help? :)

Happy to remove it if anyone feels its stepping on anyone's toes. A lot of guys have put in a lot of work here and id never want to undermine that, only help.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/673594649967142
Freestyle kite buggier... attempting to learn how to freestyle deltas

711jrp

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:38 am

flat out wrote:
Does this help? :)

Happy to remove it if anyone feels its stepping on anyone's toes. A lot of guys have put in a lot of work here and id never want to undermine that, only help.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/673594649967142

Well that got more posts than the forum has got in the last six months, but I do know AS is very anti Facebook on moral grounds so might be worth messaging him.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers