Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

flat out

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:56 am

Ah, i do hope i haven't upset anyone doing so. Thanks for the heads up sir.
I have indeed now messaged him and hope for his full support.
Like it or not, social media is where the modern times are and if we have any hope of introducing new blood to our wonderful hobby, then that's where they will be.
This forum is super and great source of information, yet it will never get busier if we cant draw people in from elsewhere.
Freestyle kite buggier... attempting to learn how to freestyle deltas

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks for the message. Pete's right - I don't use Facebook, but I can see the value of a group there for this, if it's getting more traction than stuff here. I do think the concept of the forum is fading a bit these days. I won't be re-joining FB for this, so there's no need or point to make me an admin there.

I don't particularly mind you using the name, I've got no special attachment to it.

If anyone else has any objections now is the time to speak up. 

711jrp

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Andy S wrote:
Thanks for the message. Pete's right - I don't use Facebook, but I can see the value of a group there for this, if it's getting more traction than stuff here. I do think the concept of the forum is fading a bit these days. I won't be re-joining FB for this, so there's no need or point to make me an admin there.

I don't particularly mind you using the name, I've got no special attachment to it.

If anyone else has any objections now is the time to speak up. 

Thank you very much, I think it would be a great addition to the Kiting community...
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks again for your understanding. As i say it was done with truly the best intentions.
Like everyone else here, i love kites and flying and have met some truly amazing people over the years through the sport.
It would be great to pull in more people and also have a way to interact with the younger generation.

This site is an amazing archive of information, but i fear so many people just don't know its here.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:08 pm

I don't think the group should be private, I don't do Facebook so can't access it to see what's going on.

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Over 50 members from all over the world have joined in just a couple of hours.
Whilst i agree social media isn't for everyone, it is a fantastic tool for connecting a community and sharing information with like minded folk.
Those who haven't joined FB and are curious, give it a go, no doubt you will have plenty of interesting and valuable input to offer :)

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Craig wrote:
I don't think the group should be private, I don't do Facebook so can't access it to see what's going on.

Hi Craig, the group now setup cannot be changed to public for the privacy of its members but is public to find, join in and view.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:28 pm

flat out wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hi Craig, the group now setup cannot be changed to public for the privacy of its members but is public to find, join in and view.

This makes little sense to me, you want to make it inclusive yet you have to join to view, at least you can come here and view the content without having to join, I guess FB just want to track your internet browsing history!

Tbh. I'm less happy about this than Andy, you should have got permission for the name use before setting it up, personally I would have said no.

711jrp

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Craig wrote:
flat out wrote:
Craig wrote:

This makes little sense to me, you want to make it inclusive yet you have to join to view, at least you can come here and view the content without having to join, I guess FB just want to track your internet browsing history!

Tbh. I'm less happy about this than Andy, you should have got permission for the name use before setting it up, personally I would have said no.

Unfortunately that's how FB works if it is a public group you get all the dross posting totally unrelated rubbish all the time, and genuine people just don't want to contribute.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Craig wrote:
flat out wrote:
Craig wrote:

Craig,

With respect, those such as yourself who "don't do Facebook" aren't going to be missing anything of which you're already choosing not to interact with.
The group was set up privately to protect the privacy of the members, not to withhold anything. If it were totally public then it could be made private, but not the other way around i'm afraid. Its visible to find and free to join, of which you are very welcome to. Keeping it private keeps the quality of the content to the kind of quality you would want to read.

This isnt some crazy take over, its about getting more people involved and discussing the hobby we all love and enjoy together.

I apologise you're less satisfied with it, however there are almost 60 people chatting and sharing photos of their kites already. So why not join in on it yourself, i'm sure you have lots of value to share.

I have already seen someone post on here which was directed from the group, so that in itself is a positive impact on the forum.

Once again, my apologies for any upset caused, please join in.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Then set it up with a different name and knock yourself out.

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:50 pm

So even though you want nothing to do with it.

if the group was public, it wouldn’t be an issue?
If your express permission was asked, it wouldn’t be an issue?
Even though I contacted Andy right away and he has no issue. If someone had mentioned your name first, I would have contacted you too.

I really don’t see the issue with someone trying to introduce and direct more people to this forum.
Giving this forum name more exposure, giving our sport more exposure and more momentum.

Especially at a time when there’s enough negativity in the world. What exactly is your problem Craig?

flat out

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Just so it’s absolutely 1000% clear. I’ve not done this to try and pass off something that it isn’t or steal any kind of flag.
It’s a genuine heartfelt attempt to support the forum and promote it. When these things seemingly become an old boys club, it’s when they fade and die. Or is it a case of “it’s my ball and you’re not allowed to play with it?”

So nobody wants the forum promoted to new people then?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:43 pm

flat out wrote:
What exactly is your problem Craig?

You named the group Fractured Axel (without asking for permission first), it's not public, it's a private FB group, therefore you have to join.

RoyReed

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm

This idea of setting up a rival to FA on Facebook really sucks. Not good, not good at all. All you've done is make it less likely that people will come here.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design