Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

helicoil
Topic Author

new newbie

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi Gang. 
Just back into kiting after a 20 year break in the Essex area. I was preparing a flexifoil stacker for a holiday with my nephews and was bitten by the bug again.
Currently sporting 2 Flexifoil Stacker 6's, Flexifoil Psycho, Aircraft Hat Trick (which is waiting for spares) and just taken delivery of a shiny new Reloaded.
The Hat Trick is 20 odd years old and all the rubber parts had perished, I gave one of the connectors a nasty look and it snapped in half, upon checking the rest they were in a similar condition.
The Psycho was in remarkably good condition. No perished parts- even the rubber bands that pull the sail down to the end caps were still in one piece.
I tied the sail down instead of using the rubber bands and it was airborne without much trouble.
The Stackers, what can I say? grin factor 10 all the way!

Hope to enjoy many more threads here in the future ;-)

Andy

adicakes
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: new newbie

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:19 am

Couldn't let a newbie post go unanswered. ;) Hello and welcome. 8)

Great to hear that the Psycho survived test of time -- even the rubber bands too! Lots of fun, that kite, spent a fair bit of time flying one in the early days. There has been a bit of resurgence in the stunt kite classics recently, and kites like the Psycho and Stranger are being re-visited under the lens of modern freestyle.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:23 am

Post a picture of one of the connectors on the Hat trick - I have a bag full of old connectors I might be able to send you a few replacements.

helicoil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi Ian,
 Thanks for that but ones I ordered from the Highwaymen turned up and after putting them on the right way up they seem fine...
One minor issue is the lower part of the bridle tied round the lower spreader connector, the new connectors don't have that area to tie onto so I'm going to tie round the lower leading edge. Working on replacing that lower part of the bridle and compensating for the change in length, I don't suppose the spec of the bridle to hand?  ;-)

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Sorry, no I don't. It must be 20 years plus since I last saw one.

HarryHornby

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Helicoil, you're in the same boat as me.  My kite bag is proper old skool.  I have a stranger too but it needs new rubber bands :-(

I was thinking about treating myself to a deep space, but having watched the video above on the Stranger I think I need to get those bands and get flying.

Only question...... where the flip do I get rubber bands for a 20+ year old kite????

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Just use normal bridleline.

Good luck!
Krijn

helicoil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm

HarryHornby wrote:
Hi Helicoil, you're in the same boat as me.  My kite bag is proper old skool.  I have a stranger too but it needs new rubber bands :-(

I was thinking about treating myself to a deep space, but having watched the video above on the Stranger I think I need to get those bands and get flying.

Only question...... where the flip do I get rubber bands for a 20+ year old kite????

I did tie them down in the end with some bridle line I had as Krijn was saying.
Your self control is obviously much better than mine, I pulled the trigger on a Superfly and am in the middle of a 3 week wait  :D