Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

HarryHornby
Topic Author

Old Skool Flyer - getting back into kites

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi All,

I used to fly loads, back in the early/mid 90s.  Attending most festivals, but only as a punter as a rule.  Enjoyed the odd ROK fight though :-)

So, dusted off my kites the other month, hoping to get my 2 daughters into it too.  Crikey, hasn't the kite scene dropped off!  :-(  Where are all the big festivals?

Anyway, it's good to be back!  I'm after a new kite, although there doesn't seem to be a lot around in terms of 2 line sport kites, or am I wrong?

My current (old skool) kite bag consists of the following:

TOTL VIP, made by and purchased from Carl, back in the day.
Prism Macro Ion
Stranger (needs new rubber bands on the wing tips) any ideas, anyone?
Flexifoil Super 10
High Flyers Team Spirit and Club Spectre
Couple of ROKs
TOTL Snap
Rare Air, can't remember the name, but same size as the Snap, with vented trailing edges.

I was just starting to get into tricks before I stopped flying but I want to get into this again.  I'm looking for a single kite that will make me smile.  To complement what I already have.  something to fly in "perfect" 8mph wind LOL

I want to do more tricks, nothing mental, but to build on my basic tricks.  I'm thinking, flares, cascades, flat spins, cascade, yo-yo take off etc etc.  Like I said, nothing mental..... to start!  ha ha

There doesn't seem to be much out there, except for Prism and I'm not sure they are what they were.  I've always coveted my my best mate's old Phantom Elite, I bought the VIP instead of one, all those years ago.  I've always fancied a Benson kite, so I'm thinking Outer Space or old skool Phantom?  I see Carl still has a web page, but does he still make kites?

I am happy to (the wife says I can)  spend top dollar for the right kite, but I'm open to suggestion.  I don't have loads to spend on several kites, but I want to treat myself to something nice.

Cheers in advance.

kareloh

Re: Old Skool Flyer - getting back into kites

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm

get a deepspace

for the stranger: just use normal bridle line for tensioning the leading edges

Krijn

HarryHornby
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Cheers guys, I meant Deep Space, not Outer Space (clearly still in old skool mode)!  LOL

Re the Stranger, the line to tension the leading edge is still in place, it's the rubber bands that are missing.  Or do I just replace those with Bridle line too?

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:46 am

Re: rubber bands, get an old (mountain) bike inner tube, cut into strips of appropriate width. One tube should keep you supplied forever.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 am

Nice, Keith.

But replacing everything with bridle line will also work.

HarryHornby
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 am

Cheers for the advice guys.  I have an old inner tube lying around, will give that a go.

So who are the main makers now, and do you just buy direct?  There seem to be very few kite shops out there on the web.  Where do you recommend for spares, carbon, nocks, end caps etc?

What are the go to kites at the moment for both Tricks and Ballet or general flying?

Michel

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:56 am

krijn wrote:
But replacing everything with bridle line will also work.

Not sure it's a good idea for a kite without eyelets / reinforcements on the leading edge.

That will be too tight with a bridle and will enlarge the hole IMHO.

Audiance

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Deep space is a fantastic kite that is capable of everything. Buy a second hand if you can, or a new one directly from Benson website, they are quite affordable. If you fly in London, I am happy to share my kites for tests - and I have two stranger rubbers which I do not use...
In the bag(s): R-sky, Benson, Prism, Revolution, Quadrifoil and a few more...

harveystubbs

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:40 pm

I have sent you a pm about some of the kites I am selling. The DS is a great start but not the best trick or precision kite out there. Great build quality though

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:07 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
I have sent you a pm about some of the kites I am selling. The DS is a great start but not the best trick or precision kite out there. Great build quality though

Right :roll: , no doubt over-sized Organics are much better ...

A third vote for the Benson Deep Space.

-Frazer http://www.kiteclique.com

harveystubbs

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Always only comment on kites you’ve actually flown :shock:

Why not a superfly instead? There is so much more stuff out than just a DS .... the DS Doesn’t suit everyone, see if you can try before you buy perhaps and see what suits you.