Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

TwentyOneThirtyFive
Topic Author

Alternative flying site to Dunstable Downs?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:35 am

Hi,

Getting a bit fed up with Dunstable Downs - it always seems to be so windy up there, no matter how calm it is at home. Far to windy for me to learn how to do tricks with my Jive. Break it, yes. Trick with it, no :(

Any alternatives near by? All the fields near by that I know are surround by trees and the only other place I found is too overgrown at the moment.

ta,
dan

MartinG

Re: Alternative flying site to Dunstable Downs?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am

The first law of kiting is that it is always either too windy or not windy enough! Last weekend's DD Kite Festival was a case in point - not enough wind on Saturday and more than enough on Sunday. I think the Downs are probably the best flying site for quite some distance, though, unless you are prepared to go to a beach.

Do you know you can access the weather station at the visitor's centre to see what the wind is like before you leave home? I find this quite useful, when it is working (sometimes goes down for a week or so). It can be found here http://www.dunstablehpc.co.uk/images/weather/WxFlash/index.htm or the same information in a non-flash form (if you have iOS) can be found here http://www.dunstablehpc.co.uk/gauges/gauges-ss-basic.htm.

Martin

TwentyOneThirtyFive
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Martin, I didn't know about the weather station, so will use that in future to save a wasted journey.

I was flying on a beach in Wales a few weeks ago and felt it was the first time I'd made any real progress with the kite in about a year!

daveager

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi
Learn everything I know about flying trick kites at Dunstable down you have to be prepared for all wind conditions ......

TwentyOneThirtyFive
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Will keep at it on Dunstable. That weather station will save a few wasted journeys and hopefully reduce frustration levels.

Stephen Hoath

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:49 pm

I find the best thing to do is ask to borrow someone elses kite then i can blame that not me ;o)
Stephen Hoath

Eddie Green

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Ah yes. I remember breaking someone's brand new Nirvana with a Comete last time a flew on Dunstable downs.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Eddie Green wrote:
Ah yes. I remember breaking someone's brand new Nirvana with a Comete last time a flew on Dunstable downs.

You've all be forewarned ... keep this man away from your kitebag !

-Frazer

Eddie Green

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I am so rusty I am not sure I can remember which hand does what!