Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SteveC
Topic Author

Cheap quads on Ebay - A warning for newbies

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 pm

I know most of you know this already but ....

There have been a spate of those cheap nasty Aldi/Lidl quad line kites appearing on Ebay recently which some unsuspecting souls have been paying good money for - they cost £6 new and the last one went for over £40! Now some have been listed as '4 line quad kite' which is fair enough - buyer beware and do your homework.

However one has just come on as a 'Retro Revolution Stunt kite' using the the blurb from the proper Rev adverts "multi-directional in flight with the ability to fly forward, backward, sideways, adjusting speed, and even stopping on a dime to hover nearly motionless in mid-air… While some maneuvers require a certain wind range, experienced pilots can fly in all conditions from zero wind (indoors) all the way up to nearly 50 miles per hour."

Now thats more than a bit naughty as it suggests ( but doesn't actually say) that you are bidding on a real rev.

So for any newbies out there thinking of bidding on these kites thinking they are getting something like a Rev DON'T!!!!! These kites are shit! :evil: :mad:

Ebay number 181182824045

Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

SteveC
Topic Author

Re: Cheap quads on Ebay - A warning for newbies

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 am

Hmm......I see the 'revolution' references have now been removed from the listing....must've had a had a warning from the Rev Mafia!!
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Broady

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 am

I sent him a message and suggested he changed a few things.
He seemed to genuinely not know what it was and went off what his dad said it was.
I'm sure someone will pay way to much for it still
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

SteveC
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:32 am

Broady wrote:
I sent him a message and suggested he changed a few things.
He seemed to genuinely not know what it was and went off what his dad said it was.
I'm sure someone will pay way to much for it still

Fair enough I don't think it was probably intentional, but the original listing was very misleading to anyone who didn't know what it was. There is a similar Aldi version on at the moment with a starting price of £25, but that's just listed as ' 4 line stunt kite' so it's up to the bidder to know what they are bidding on. They were sold a few years ago - long enough for people now not knowing what they are hence the silly prices they've been going for. I did buy one at the time because I was curious how they could make a working quad for £6......they couldn't! nothing redeemable about it awful string ( I wouldn't even call it line) nasty frame and fittings and badly sewn ...what you would expect really for £6!. I never managed to get mine off the ground but those that did weren't impressed.

Jezza

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Ah I remember these, not a thing on it worth salvaging even for a pound. With Rev 1.5's now costing £320 with lines in the UK I'd imagine it looks like a total bargain ;)
Clearly, I'm part of the problem.

Broady

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

Have revs gone up in price everywhere?
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Jezza

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Someone in the business told me wholesale had gone up so I'd imagine if a retailer hasn't upped it yet they will very soon. Got that price from kiteworld for the new 1.5b's.
I can make my own sails which are as good as Rev's quality wise so I don't worry about it but for the new flyers its a bit sad. Cant imagine many new Revvers are going to want to pay £320 to try something out tbh. Which kinda makes Steve's post more relevant, would be easy to get conned if they we're trying to find a cheap bargain.
He's still claiming it fly's like a 'Rev'....I think he means fly's like a rev that's been set on fire.
Clearly, I'm part of the problem.

SteveC
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm

hmmm.....2 of 'em went on Ebay tonight....£23.78 for the nasty Lidl quad and £45 for the nasty Aldi version! :shock:

There's going to be 2 very disappointed buyers out there in a few days time.