Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

So whats been happening lately????

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Blimey, in the last 2/3 years, Kiting has seemed to be in the dulldrums I feel, is it the ever lasting recession that has taken its toll, (I know a the shops have taken a battering), there just does not seem to be the enthusiasm that there once was, UK teams, Uk Individual fliers seemed to have "found" other activities to occupy their time (I'll include myself btw ;) )
Just trying to find out why its happened...looking at some of the Berck photos this week, It still seems to be as popular as ever in Europe, but why not the UK?..looking forward to some replies.

SkyRags

Re: So whats been happening lately????

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:27 am

I guess I can comment as Im new to the sport with a lot of enthusiasm - in fact after you read this you will probably understand my reason for starting my FaceBook Page - Stunt Kite Aotearoa

For me - the 'cool part' of stunt kiting is the 'tricks' that stunt kites could do

I cant actually remember what actually caused me to get addicted though...

I had a crappy little kite that I couldnt even fly properly - this was mainly due to flying ignorance (where, when, how, why things happen etc etc ), basically the science behind it all

So I dropped kite flying for a couple of years - I think I rememeber seeing someone flying a stunter and causing it to hover/stall - I rememeber thinking, how the hell is he doing that? - I dont rememeber him pulling off any actual tricks though...

A year or two later - I decided I wanted to have a play and looked up kite tricks - lo and behold - there was a big world of tricks etc...but I still didnt get how the type of kite plays a major part in tricks

In quick summary I think apart from serious macro environment effects (due to interviews with kite industry experts - they know who they are) the main issue with the stunt kite industry is an injection of new blood or succession in the industry as well as (in my own limited opinion):

- good kites are TOO expensive initially for amatuers and therefore too risky to invest in as the number of definite crashes hurt the pocket, this of course causes many entrants to consider buying rubbish kites in the market that stunt the learning and long interest
- the learning curve is longer than expected due to a number of uncontrollable elements
- kiting is wrongly perceived as 'an old man/dorky pastime'
- apart from a few kite developer websites, the image they portray doesnt seem to depict a 'modern' look - with many kite websites looking very outdated and unimpressive
- the power kite scene (which although uses a kite) is not exactly perceived a kiting business - more of an extreme sport. Kite sail makers however still benefit from this.

I personally believe that there is what I call a 'half-generational' gap for stunt kiting - for example, from what Ive learned froma few sources is that the late nineties was really the kill point for the stunt kite industry. Those who remained, got better at their sport with interest dying more and more, these enthusiasts got better whereas kites still remained fairly expensive - limiting entrants.

As such, the 'tricking' has become incredibly obscure. As Ive gotten into it more and more Ive told nearly EVERYONE Ive met (ages range from 12 - 30) that Im into stunt kiting - in EVERY response (I do really mean EVERY response) thay look at me quizzically and with a bit of bewilderment because they ALL though kiting is an old persons sport

I mean....WTF??....but to be honest...so did I :/

I have on my iphone, a copy of Prisms Freestyle Pilot and I proceed to show them the intro with the 3D tricks. (Keep in mind too that the filming style of Freestyle Pilot is relatively old now - the music, the voice recording etc...)

EVERYONE Ive shown is AMAZED!!!

They just cannot believe that a kite can do those things....in a lot of instances it seems to give them a brain freeze...this is even more true when they see the kite sink into the water and then rise out and fly away. (My sister actually got creeped out by it...lol...what the heck??...creeped out??)

Why is there a range of people who dont know kites can do this? - I dont know

But thats why Im trying to help build the industry up...

I dont think it will get smaller tbh...but it can certainly grow...especially in New Zealand where the interest is currently zero....but slowly....slowly people are 'liking' the vids/links Im putting up on it

Cheers
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 am

Its not all doom and gloom.

There are plenty of cutting edge new kites in the past 2/3 years ... just off the top of my head:

* MXS, 15, Sixth Sense, Superfly, Veyron, Slash, Hugo, Impuse, Curve, Enzo.

Look at that lot, you're completely spoiled for choice.

Tricks wise ... combos seem to be the order of the day ... taz machine, crazy copters and cynique rule.

Virtual freestyle goes from strength to strength - so many good entries each round these days =D>

-Frazer

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 am

I wonder how much of this problem is due to the weather in the UK. Its been so
f...king bad these past few years it almost makes you reluctant to try and organise
anything big. We had to cancel Hinkley last year. Weve got another event planned in Filey coming up but we just live our kite life weather watching and hoping things will turn out OK. In my opinion its a big HATS OFF to all UK kite flyers for persevearing with this sport. We must have the patience of a saint the amount of times we are dissapointed.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Yan

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

I know that kiteing in Suffolk has really struggled to keep going since the loss of the festival, it was the main way to attract people to kiting locally. It makes me wonder if something like that is happening nationally... are we just not reaching the public and therefore not bringing new people into the sport in the UK?

As Frazer has said, the freestyle world is getting quite exciting lots of new kites coming out allowing for new styles of flying.. we just need to find a way of getting people to have a look.

Broady

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm

The free style scene could really do with a big name sponsor like red bull. If it had that then it would at least be shown on Dave!
Most of the kite festivals are poorly advertised (imo) as I've never stumbled across one without actually looking for what is out there. So how do new people join the sport or even know it is out there?
The only time I see people consider the sport is when they see kites flying down the beach and then buy a cheap kite from the beach shop and bin it 30 minutes later as it doesn't fly.

I feel the best way forward is to promote kite events through schools and possible fly ins on the school field? We need to get young kids involved and hopefully their parents.

I love flying kites, always have and hope I always will
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Broady

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Also, if you have a look at older posts - from 2005 let's say. How many of the people on the thread still active on the forum? If they no longer partake on the forum are they no longer flying?
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Yan

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Broady wrote:
Also, if you have a look at older posts - from 2005 let's say. How many of the people on the thread still active on the forum? If they no longer partake on the forum are they no longer flying?

[thoughtful/reflective]mmmmm what was it that made this (one day at the end of january) event so popular? viewtopic.php?t=1551

It can't just have been the on-site cafe.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Yan wrote:
Broady wrote:

[thoughtful/reflective]mmmmm what was it that made this (one day at the end of january) event so popular? viewtopic.php?t=1551

It can't just have been the on-site cafe.

I went to that, and I'm still flying kites. I don't remember the cafe at all, so I must have taken my own sandwiches ;-)

I imagine a lot of people's priorities change, their circumstances change, etc. etc - I know right now I have less time to myself and I spend much more time with my family, but I still fly when I can.

See you at Crantock (and maybe Weston and Bristol too)...
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

pink

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:57 pm

- apart from a few kite developer websites, the image they portray doesnt seem to depict a 'modern' look - with many kite websites looking very outdated and unimpressive

that is very true.
only few are up to date.
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:11 pm

I spent about about 5 years doing a fair bit of travelling around organising, coaching and running competitions 'n stuff. 's a thankless task for the most part and generating enthusiasm enough to make the effort worthwhile is a challenge.

Still flying a lot - locally for the most part, but when I get weekends back to play with again I'll join in again.

Bryan

pink

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm

i wish to go and fly with someone, but people here in ireland are playing different games than in any other palces;-), they not even intrested (exept small kids, and dogs).
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Like Bryan I spent 5+ years being enthusiastic and organising STACK events. You get tired when there is no real uptake for the effort. STACK in the UK is pretty much dead with no new blood for a number of years now, particularly in pair or team competition, and no multiline fliers at all.

On the positive, we (Vee and I) are still flying, with enough demo invites to have a busy summer.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Yan

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 pm

my question wasn't "where are they now?" more "what made people want to travel to that event?"

jaydub

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
I spent about about 5 years doing a fair bit of travelling around organising, coaching and running competitions 'n stuff. 's a thankless task for the most part and generating enthusiasm enough to make the effort worthwhile is a challenge.

And very much appreciated by some of us, although perhaps we should have been better at saying thank you.......

......so thanks, Bryan =D>