Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Hans Zarkov
Topic Author

night flying

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:24 am

Its late tonight, I'm still awake listening to the wind, I've just got the bug again for kiting, and am wondering if anyone has ever modded their kite with LED's and gone out flying in the dark - I would imagine it would compliment a laser show or a night-time event...

Regards,
John

Flying Fish

Re: night flying

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 am

That's definitely been done!

I've also put those LEDs with magnets on one of my kites once and flew it at night. Eerie feeling to fly a kite when you can't see the lines or the kite, but just the lights!

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

I've done this with a DS - evidence here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELBvQBjajl0

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11541

There may be a mk.2 version in development soon...
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I always wondered about those "strange-light-in-the-sky" sightings - now I know.

SteveC

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Always fancied having a go at night flying but haven't yet. I saw this a couple of years ago and thought it looked cool. With modern components you could probably get away with a standard sized kite instead of this 10' monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLH58sSEaQ
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Hans Zarkov
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: your vid Misterbleepy, - really nice stuff that... :)

perhaps a kite with a luminous ghost to spook the kids. ;)

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 am

When I was with KKF, we used to do this annually on the "Light Up the Sky for Children in Need" event.

ekim

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 pm

We Still do Mr T but with single line kites rather than twin liners.

Will probably be lighting up the sky at Woodchurch again this year depending on permissions etc.

Mike

Kent Kite Flyers
Fly for Fun

plod

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I did it the other week, flying a set of led's with my Cody
Good fun :)

kitejan

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am

I did some quad line night flying....

I built a black custom sail for the Revolution with lots of velcro attachments points for LEDs and "stuff". I even got some christmas tree LED lights and stitched them into a strip of ripstop with velcro on the back so I could attach them to the kite sail easily enough. I also had built a white Freedom 2000 (Rev like) kite and had the idea of putting the "training wheels" spars on the back (basically 2 spars on the back attached to the vertical held in place by some extra bridling - and is supposed to give the Rev some extra curve to help some stuff). I then mounted some colour changing LEDs on those spars projecting onto the Rev sail - this actually looked really good in flight.

You just need enough wind to overcome the extra weight the LEDs and power add. I haven't done this for a while - I always felt a little vulnerable up on fields at night by myself but would love to do it again (been thinking about improvements to the Rev night flying rig).

Jan

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:32 am

ekim wrote:
We Still do Mr T but with single line kites rather than twin liners.
Hehe. Yeah, the magnetic ones don't stay attached for long once you start tricking! :lol: Got a whole load of keyring fob ones from the Skunk (Rob) which could fit on bridle or lines; much better. My last LUTS in Kent we went up to the Devil's Kneading Trough (were you there?); it was blowing such a hooley that my little Rok assumed almost a cylinder shape!

ekim

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Yes I was there, my little grandson was almost blown away. Was our first real introduction to the KKF, my little keeled delta (almost a DT) would have survived intact if my wife hadnt held one of the dowel spars sideways to the gale and snapped it (now replaced with fibreglass). Have since joined the club and loving every minute.

Mike

kevspilly

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:34 pm

I use to fly at Great Yarmouth down the side of a pier that had lights on shining onto the beach. Also inland next to a 5 aside pitch that was used a night and was lit up like a Christmas tree most week nights. Try checking out the sports pitches in your area for a late night fly in winter!
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Peter

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Just a word of warning, with the idiots I've seen in the past!
don't do it between 30th Oct and 5th November - firework burns on the sail are permanent!!!

silverfox

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Here 's my first attempt at multiple kite flying earlier this summer at a balloon event captured by a spectator. Only flew for 5-10 mins as wasn't sure how long batts would last.
Got to fly for about 2 hours recently at the night flight in Dieppe -what a blast it was
http://www.youtube.com/user/irlsilverfox?feature=mhee