Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

RoyReed
Topic Author

Streatham Kite Day

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Just to let everyone know, there will be no 12th Streatham Kite Day in 2009. This from Bob Colover (the main organiser):

After 11 years (and some considerable thought) we have decided to take a break. We are not sure if this is to be permanent and will await developments in 2009.

In the summer we tragically lost the ever supportive Chairman of the Friends of Streatham Common, Gordon Richardson, whose sudden and unexpected death has left a important position to be filled.

Also we are pleased to note that the Blackheath Kite Festival has revived after a long gap and takes place over the weekend 13th-14th June 2009 and will no doubt cater well for London based and other Kite flyers.

We would like to thank all of you for your support over the years and hope that you have enjoyed your visits to the jewel of south London that is Streatham Common.

We know that because of the calendar the winds have sometimes been less than satisfactory [ahem] but everyone always managed to pull together in the spirit of things and I hope you all had a good time.

It would be an invidious task to try to single out anyone in particular for compliments, and please forgive me if I can't mention everyone by name but I do feel that Roy Reed, Gavin Love and Richard Lock who formed the core group over the years deserve special thanks and not forgetting Gus Campbell for his creative artwork each year designing the posters.

See you at Blackheath or elsewhere on the festival circuit.

Thank you all once again for playing your part in the past Streatham Common Kite days.

This statement will be added to the SKD website once the admin has sent me the login details which seem to have been changed once again.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Doc James

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:22 pm

What a shame. Even if the wind was problematic for kiteflyers, it always seemed very popular with the local community.

james
Kite Bag: Deep Space, Solus, Widowmaker, Gem UL, Akuji SUL, Lynx Feather, Rev 1.5 exp

Fiction
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 pm

That is quite sad news
Rob
6Fivers aria del sud

Popeye

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:00 pm

:(

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Pity

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:52 pm

A shame; it was a really friendly "cosy" festival.

RoyReed
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 pm

sftonkin wrote:

Not if you had to deal with Lambeth Council it wasn't!
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 am

RoyReed wrote:
sftonkin wrote:

Not if you had to deal with Lambeth Council it wasn't!

Fair enough -- but the organisers then did a pretty good job of insulating the rest of us from Lambeth Council (of which I have personal experience, having worked for them as a gardener in the 1970s -- the tales I could tell... :lol: ).