Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Tregolwyn
Topic Author

Better Flying Day - Bath - Sunday 19 October 2008

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm

I am thinking of running a Better Flying Day along the lines of previous years’ events at the Lansdowne playing fields next to Bath Racecourse. The day I have in mind is Sunday 19 October 2008 commencing late morning and running through to late afternoon.

For those who haven’t attended before, these days are a great way of meeting other fliers, trying out different kites and learning new tricks. I usually adopt an informal approach to the day but if people come along with some idea of what they need help with we will always try to find someone who can give some one to one tuition. Everyone is welcome, two lines, four or one and no experience is necessary.

I am not planning any competitions for the day (the STACK Winter League for south Wales will follow, probably in the New Year) but if a few people want to have a Trick Out that can be arranged, it certainly went down well last year.

All I need to know now is whether anyone is up for this. This date is the only date I can do in October but if people are keen but the date is no good we can try November. The venue is also flexible but Lansdowne playing fields have worked well in the past despite the morning fight for space with the footballers. If someone wants to suggest an alternative venue that is more convenient for those who want to attend then please go ahead.

Please post here if you are likely to attend and if there is enough interest I will confirm the arrangements, directions to the venue etc.

I have noticed there are a couple of new FAers from the Bristol/Bath area, they would be very welcome. As STACK rep for Wales I know I should be organising this nearer home but any excuse for a jolly to another country. :cool:

Paul

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 pm

If Lansdowne fields are unavailable,I know a good beach... :-)

Tregolwyn
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Rob but I was hoping this would attract a few more than you and me (and holidaying FAers of course). :lol:

Paul

seales

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:37 pm

I'll be back in bristol uni then, looking to meet up with some other kite flyers in the area. I'd try and get to a session within cycling/train range, coursework permitting of course :-).

Jon

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm interested - I need to check on-call rotas, family stuff etc. before I can say yes, but it sounds good so far...

...ok - I've checked - count me in :thumbsup:
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

moog

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

It's the day after I get back from my paragliding holiday so I might be able to make it providing I'm still in one piece!
Dave

Tregolwyn
Topic Author

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 pm

moog wrote:
It's the day after I get back from my paragliding holiday so I might be able to make it providing I'm still in one piece!

We can expect a very dramatic entrance then can we Dave!

Paul :lol:

uktotty

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:06 pm

I would be interested as I am still rubbish!
Benson DS - Fury Full Size - Rev 1.5SUL - Rev 1.5 SLE - Alpha Plus - Cody - 3 Symphony's - 2 NPW's - Viper - Vento - Wild Thang - Flexifoils - Elliot Mystic

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Sorry, It'll be too warm for me to even think about leaving the house. I'll be indoors under the air-con all day.
Jason.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Jason wrote:
Sorry, It'll be too warm for me to even think about leaving the house. I'll be indoors under the air-con all day.

Enough of that !! ;)

Mark

Miles F

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Braving the drizzle near Brizzle....yeah count me in! :D

I'll bring my ground sheet for the kite bags for Landsdown as the field gets chewed up in the football season.

@ Paul if there's anything else that needs doing let me know.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Tregolwyn
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:09 pm

I have been informed that there is another Better Flying Day arranged for Stokes Bay (I think this is around Portsmouth/Southampton). I don't want to undermine another STACK event and was not aware of this when I suggested this date.

I am happy to step down from this date although I would be interested if anyone was going to feel torn between the two events given their distance apart before I do. If there appears to be no conflict then there is probably no harm in running both with the emphasis on Winter League coaching at Stokes Bay and Better Flying outside of the competition world at Bath. The only details I can find of the Stokes Bay event are here

Happy to receive observations and comments before I decide.

Paul

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Why worry, no else seems to know about it, including you and your a STACK rep!

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm

count me in still :thumbsup:
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Tregolwyn
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Craig wrote:
Why worry, no else seems to know about it, including you and your a STACK rep!

I was a bit puzzled by this as I checked the STACK website and Kite Calendar and can't see any mention of it. As far as I can tell it is only mentioned on Close Encounters' website which is not a site I visit.

I have been contacted by Allan Pothecary who has explained that he has set the day in response to lots of fliers asking him for advice and help at various kite festivals or being referred to him by others and lots of people will be travelling long distances to the event.

Allan says about the venue:

Stokes Bay is where they held the European championships a few years back - next to Lee on Solent at Gosport, Fareham.
It has facilities and we have the OK to use the site - So no sneaking in to do. Just a car park fee to pay unless you leave your cars on the roadside at the top of the field.

The provisional date for the Solent winter league is November 9th (Sunday).

It will be a very low key event for beginners and serious enough for the experienced flyers.

I suppose one option is to disengage the Bath event from STACK and treat it as a day out flying for a few FAers that want to get together. I know I am highly unlikely to travel to Stokes Bay.

Paul