Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Basa
Topic Author

Re: Fun Flying Weekend

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:07 pm

If you are going to come along to this, please drop me an e-mail [ stackATsavell.co.uk - and replace the AT ] so I can keep track of numbers.

If there is something in particular you would like to have a go at (eg trying team) let me know and we will try to make sure we can accommodate this.

Thanks
Barry
Team Flame & STACK National Director 2012-17

Basa
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm

STACK Fun Flying weekend

The STACK Fun Flying weekend is now confirmed for Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th September (the weekend after Bristol Festival). The event will be held at the North Hants Buggy Club field at Cliddesden, near Basingstoke (where the Jolly-Up is held).

As the name suggests, the idea is simply to have fun flying kites, however there will be opportunities to work with experienced flyers to improve your kiting skills, and opportunities to have a go at flying in a pair, team or mega-team.

If you are going to come along to this, please drop me an e-mail [ stackATsavell.co.uk - and replace the AT ] so I can keep track of numbers.

Also, if there is something in particular you would like to have a go at (eg trying team) please let me know and we will try to make sure we can accommodate this.
Barry

Basa
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Points about the site for the fun flying weekend

The main reason for selecting this site is that it is very central and close to the motorway network (M3). We have had interest from as far apart as Essex and Plymouth, so it needed to be a central location. The site is a privately owned, is the location of the Jolly-Up events and we have held competitions there in previous years, so we know it is suitable for flying.

However as anywhere, it is not perfect – one point to note is that there will be no facilities. Unfortunately there will NOT be porta-loos – although we could hire a porta-loo that would add quite a lot to the overall costs of the weekend. Because of this, there is also no camping on-site, however there is a campsite – Innwood – within two miles, and probably various others, as well as pubs, B & Bs and hotels in and around Basingstoke.
Barry

Basa
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 am

STACK Fun Flying Event

This event is now going to be held on Sunday 8th September ONLY rather than Saturday and Sunday as originally proposed.

A number of people have indicated that they are attending on Sunday, and various experienced flyers will be there so that participants can have a go at flying together in pairs and/or teams. Some trick flying tuition should also be available. We may also try a mega-team.

As it’s a fun day, the start time will be a leisurely 10am - I will aim to be there a bit ahead of this to open up.

The venue is the North Hants Buggy Club field at Cliddesden, near Basingstoke (where the Jolly-Up is held).

A couple of points to note about the site:

1. The gate must be kept shut at all times – except when actually entering or leaving the site. If you arrive and it’s shut, give a wave or shout and we’ll come and let you in.

2. There are no toilet facilities on site. (However, if anyone has a portable chemical loo plus the related small tent and would be able to bring it, please do, as it would be much appreciated.)

See you there.
Barry

Flying Fish

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:34 am

We'll be there!

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:06 am

Sadly we won't be there now, a family crisis has intervened.

Have fun guys.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Flying Fish

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear, Vee. You guys will be missed!

Basa
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Indeed they will be, but we'll still have 3 or 4 people that can coach team and pairs though.
Barry

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Hope it all went well, maybe next time...
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Flying Fish

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Yes, went well! Few short showers, but overall pretty decent weather. Wind coming and going a bit. Did a LOT of team flying, first some more basic moves in teams of 3 and 4, then joining up to larger teams (up to 8 at one time), and practicing some more advanced (at least for us!) patterns with 5, 6 and 7 kites. Patterns of which I first though "yeah, right ..." when Barry or Fran explained them, but we actually managed to fly them!

Will write a blog post maybe tomorrow with some more info and a few pics.

Barry, Fran, Tony; thanks!!

Flying Fish

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Personal impression, and a few photos, here.