Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

plod
Topic Author

Belton House Kiting Weekend

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:01 pm

I just wondered if anyone knew anymore about this?

I know it is a National Trust property, so guessing it will be similar to Calke Abbey, where the MKF are invited, so I imagine it may be the GOKF out that way

Will it be a flying arena, and then the general public can fly outside of that?
As a member of the MKF, if the above is correct, would I be able to fly within the arena, or with joe public? - i.e I show I membership card to prove membership and thus insurance?

DO I need to get there prior to 10am, like I would for Calke Abbey?

Any other info, or a link to said info, greatly appreciated.

Want to go, because it's one where the misses can go and amuse herself with the property whilst I fly, so win,win all round lol

SteveC

Re: Belton House Kiting Weekend

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Last time I went to one of their kiting events - 2 or 3 years ago, the kite flying was held on the cricket pitch area directly in front of the house. The park has many mature trees with avenues leading to the house so depending on the wind direction it can either be OK if it's coming down one of the avenues or lumpy to non existant if it's coming across the park. Generally it's a free for all so you'll be mixing it with the family fliers and loads of kids running around with kites they've made at the workshop. I assume if it's not an invitation event that normal entrance fees apply. It's a nice place with some impressive grounds and an adventure playground for kids - worth a visit anyway but treat it as a fun fly rather than a serious demonstration. I might try and get there one day if the family fancies an afternoon out ( it's just down the road from me).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=707&q=belton%20house%20grantham&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

http://www.list.co.uk/event/20259310-kite-flying-and-workshops/
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

SteveC

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Found this on youtube from last year, looks bigger than I remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2hqxR-sPg
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Stackman John

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

anybody else goin to this?
10 stacker 6's complete set of colours,3 Pro Speed 6's,6,8,10 Stack of Rainbows,3 Hot Shot 4's,7 other various 6ft Stackers and a Super 10, 9.5mtr Sabre II Depower Foil,4.7 Mtr Rage,2.5 Mtr Rage,Orbit 1.6 Mtr 2 Line Stunt,Benson Deep Space

Broady

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 pm

When is it?
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

SteveC

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Broady wrote:
When is it?

This Saturday & Sunday 23/24 june 11.00 - 4.30. Links above.

I'm trying to get the family to go on the sunday if the weather is half decent.

plod
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:15 pm

I had planned on going tomorrow, but we have friends who live near Grantham, and they say it's blowing an absolute gale out that way. Coupled with the fact, both BBC Weather, and Accuweather both say it's going to rain all evening, night, and morning out that way, i'm going to attend one of the other two kiting weekends on at this property - don't quote me, but think it's second weekend of August

SteveC

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Popped over for an hour or so yesterday afternoon, as I suspected mostly kids and parents. The only 'serious' kite fliers were me and another chap who may have been from Em-Kay kites who had a stall selling kites to parents and kids. Plenty of wind but very choppy as it was coming from behind the house. Had a bit of fun attemping a few tricks though the wind really wasn't helping but at least it wasn't raining! 8)