Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Epsom Downs, 27th June

Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:57 pm

I've been contacted by SEKA to see if anyone would be amenable to helping them with their sticky kites. As you know SEKA are mainly power kiters but they are planning to feature basic trick flying in their next fly-in, Sat 27th June.

I have asked in the last STACK newsletter but the response has been underwhelming so I thought I'd throw it open to all of FA, I know a few of you like to get up there to fly, here's a chance to build some bridges with the power kiters, all one big happy kiting family :-)

Here is the gist of the email I got sent:

This year, we (South East Kiting Association) are trying to broaden our fly-in days and inviting kite manufacturers/related companies along to our "event days". We are all generally traction based but do promote all forms of kiting in the community.

Next month we have an event day at Epsom Downs (Saturday 27 June) and would like our "featured guest/activity" to be a sports kite workshop - nothing too formal but just a few people that do know what they're doing, passing on a few hints and tips etc, be it for Rev's, Delta's or whatever.

I hope that you may know of a few people that would be happy/free to pop along and pass on some advice to those of us you don't often pull out the sports kites but would like to get a bit more out of them when we do!

Best Regards,
Neil
--
Neil Bodsworth - Treasurer
treasurer@seka.org.uk <mailto>
South East Kiting Association <http>

If you are interested in helping out then please post here so we can gauge the response, and if you can help, thank you :D
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Crantock! - sorry.

Bryan

damp_weather

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:15 am

Hi,

Well, if everyone else is going to Crantock...
Debbie and I regularly fly at Epsom, and are willing to help out with the basics of tricking. We aren't yet good enough to compete, but can reliably axel and half axel, fade, messily Susan and flic-flack, sort of do axel cascades, and I have a 25% success rate with fast 2 point landings. Slot machines and 540s depend on mood and wind.
And of course with our performances, we have become very proficient at ground recoveries (cartwheels, sleeping beauty, pop-up and pancake to fade) and remote untangling of tip wraps.
- And of course, to non-trickers, straight lines and square corners with sharp push turns look good, and we can offer those.

So if you feel that our experience is useful, please say.
Otherwise, if SEKA are really looking for people with a bit more street cred. please also say, and we'll keep clear.

Peter

Mikey

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 am

oooh

sounds fun... i dont doubt i will be there anyway if its windy enough...

i normally fly there with my powerkite but might try to drag along my matrix and my 3D (incase there is not wind)

Peace out
Kite bag:

-Revolution EXP
-Flexifoil Rage 4.7 - wasnt big enopugh... upgraded to...
-Flexifoil Blade 4.9 :)
-Dot Matrix
-Prism 3D... for when its raining outside...
-Flexifoil Stacker 6 X2 - MORE power :)
-Buggy.. FUN :)

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 am

Well, I've had a couple of offers of basic coaching, almost everyone else is off to Crantock I presume :-(
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

damp_weather

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Mikey wrote:
oooh

sounds fun... i dont doubt i will be there anyway if its windy enough...

i normally fly there with my powerkite but might try to drag along my matrix and my 3D (incase there is not wind)

Please come. Hope it will be fun.
And please bring your dot matrix - want to have a go on it myself.
Don't worry if there is little or absolutely no wind. - We have some SULs and "indoor" deltas, including one or two that fly even lower than a 3D.
Besides, I personally have more experience of flying in very light winds, than in moderate and heavy winds.

damp_weather

Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Small turnout, but very enjoyable. Thanks to all that came and made the event.
Sorry that the wind was so wierd (3-8mph on the meter), and that it took us an hour or two to figure out what kites and settings were best for coping with it (nose forward SULs as the wind dropped down to nothing frequently). Hope that the guys who packed up early and went home to watch the rugby weren't too disappointed, as they missed out on when we had got the kites working properly.

Tuition varied from: one person learning to yo-yo, as the first trick he had ever learnt, to two others learning to fly a sport kite for the very first time.

- The only dog that "bothered" the party brought over its own ball, and then lay there patiently, waiting for it to be thrown.
Hope that the pony throwing its rider on the far edge of the field was nothing to do with us.

And it was nice to have the several drinks from the bar terrace at the end of it all, looking out over the Downs with the almost rain free thunderstorm.

Mikey

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm

would have love to have come :( sorry i didnt... it looked like there was no wind when i passed by :S

Next time ill come anyway..
Kite bag:

-Revolution EXP

-Flexifoil Rage 4.7 - wasnt big enopugh... upgraded to...

-Flexifoil Blade 4.9 :)

-Dot Matrix

-Prism 3D... for when its raining outside...

-Flexifoil Stacker 6 X2 - MORE power :)

-Buggy.. FUN :)

Yan

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Yup, you missed a good day Mikey, Great to meet Peter and Debbie (see you in a couple of weeks). And Neil and co from SEKA.

Only downside.... while the others were sat watching the rainless thunderstorm, I was approaching the dartford tunnel in hail stones the size of golf balls.....

Yan

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:31 pm