Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

abw
Topic Author

Paul May from Germany coming to Portsmouth Sat 21 May 2pm

Tue May 10, 2005 7:32 pm

[edited to correct dates and email address]

I just spoke to Paul May, a flier from Germany I've known for some years. He's going to be in the UK from Tuesday 17th through to Sunday 22nd, and staying in Portsmouth.

We're planning to meet up in Stoke Park on Thursday afternoon for some flying (although it's just occurred to me that the Surrey County Show is there that weekend, so we may have to change plans).

Anyway, given that he's going to be in Portsmouth, I'm sure he would like to meet up with the locals. Anything planned down there that week? Any chance of an emergency kiting meeting?

Paul's email address is p.may@nefcom.net if you want to contact him direct.

Cheers
A
Last edited by abw on Wed May 11, 2005 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andy S
King of FA

Tue May 10, 2005 7:57 pm

17th through 22nd?

There's nothing else on, so I daresay we could do a day out. Saturday is best for getting numbers, obviously, and Southsea Common is the best place to meet. Any takers?

Will Paul be monitoring the forum until Tuesday? I will email him a link to this thread, I guess.

Paul May

Wed May 11, 2005 5:47 am

Hi,

it would be really nice meetin gsome of you. If you'd like to contact me, please use this email adress: p.may@nefkom.net
I guess my spelling in English was too bad. Sorry, Andy! ;-)
Ciao!

Paul

abw
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Andy S wrote:
Saturday is best for getting numbers, obviously, and Southsea Common is the best place to meet. Any takers?

I've confirmed with Paul. We'll be on Southsea Common from 2pm onwards on Saturday 21st May.

Could one of the locals please post some driving directions, parking locations, indicate the preferred flying spot, and any other local knowledge that may be applicable.

Many thanks.

A

Andy S
King of FA

Wed May 11, 2005 9:21 pm

abw wrote:
Andy S wrote:
Saturday is best for getting numbers, obviously, and Southsea Common is the best place to meet. Any takers?

I've confirmed with Paul. We'll be on Southsea Common from 2pm onwards on Saturday 21st May.

That's perfect.

Could one of the locals please post some driving directions, parking locations, indicate the preferred flying spot

Come down the A3, under the tall arched bridge and view the beautiful vista of Portsmouth before you.

Continue on the A3 round a right hand bend so the marshes are on your left. This merges with the M27 and you should stay in the left hand lane.

Aprroximately one mile on, take the first exit down to a large roundabout. Take the first exit off roundabout onto the Eastern Road, over a bridge with the sea on both sides.

Continue down the Eastern Road past some car showrooms on your right, a large Harvester on your left and then Portsmouth College on your right. Just after this the road changes from dual-carriageway into a 40 mph zone (WITH speed cameras) with one lane in each direction.

There are some traffic lights with the Good Companion pub on your left. Go straight over here (left hand lane). Continue to another set of traffic lights, stay in the left hand lane and feed off to the left. As you go round the corner you will see Linningtons Renault garage on your right.

Follow this road down through more traffic lights and then a second set where there is a park on your left and a parade of shops on your right. Go straight over and carry on to a small roundabout.

Go straight over (second exit) this roundabout. Carry on, the road bears to the right (at 90 degrees) continue on and the road bends left again and you find youself at the seafront. Turn right.

Follow the seafront past the pier on your left 'til you come to a mini-roundabout. Take the second exit (to the right) towards the Jolly Sailor pub. Continue along this road - you are now skirting the Common.

On your right you will see the Queens Hotel - a massive Victorian building. On the left here there are yellow gates into a pay + display car-park. (All parking is pay + display here, so bring plenty of change).

We generally fly somewhere in this area between the car park and the monument. Take your pick if you're first there.

and any other local knowledge that may be applicable.

Do NOT feed the chavs.

Portsmouth FC are playing away this weekend, so the traffic should be okay. If Southampton FC are relegated there may be a sudden appearance of many happy blue-shirted drunkards at around 4.50pm.

abw
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 am

Andy S wrote:
Come down the A3...

Great, thanks Andy.

A

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 12, 2005 9:11 am

I will do all in my power to be there.... see how the land lies with the boss .....

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

paul1969

Thu May 12, 2005 9:15 am

ditto to what martin says :D
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

jr

Thu May 12, 2005 9:55 am

I'll aim to be there.

Portsmouth FC are playing away this weekend, so the traffic should be okay. If Southampton FC are relegated there may be a sudden appearance of many happy blue-shirted drunkards at around 4.50pm.

It's the FA cup final on the 21st (the other FA, as in Football Association ;) ), the league will finish this Saturday.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 12, 2005 10:32 am

If this confuses anyone please ignore it. I always come a slightly different route. Down the A3, onto M27 then onto the M275 and just follow the brown signs for the "quay" and the hovercraft signs, this takes you right to the common.
Jason.

paul1969

Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 am

mickey mouse competition anyway, neither team play in blue so i'm not bothered!!! lol

i use both but it's swings and roundabouts, both can suffer from traffic congestion and it's sod's law you only find out when you're stuck in it, mind you i've found plenty of back ways thru southsea, just keep heading south til you hit the sea front.

my advice - toss a coin! :D
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Paul May

Thu May 12, 2005 11:28 am

Hi,

thanks for the directions. I think I'll find the way. If I should have any probs finding the place I'll call Andy on his mobile phone. So you could come and pick up the stupid German guy. ;-)
Ciao!

Paul

Andy S
King of FA

Thu May 12, 2005 12:01 pm

jr wrote:
I'll aim to be there.

It's the FA cup final on the 21st (the other FA, as in Football Association ;) ), the league will finish this Saturday.

I got my weeks muddled. I thought we were talking about this weekend. Should still be fine for next Sat.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 pm

...but, will there be cake????
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 12, 2005 1:29 pm

SpOoC wrote:
...but, will there be cake????