Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

speedtriple
Topic Author

Oxfordshire

Wed May 28, 2014 8:04 am

Hi guys
I haven't flown in a few years ( living abroad where the sun shines but the wind don't blow)
But moving back to uk shores in a couple of weeks time ,
Moving to didcot/Wallingford area of oxfordshire .
Would love to get my fury's out and stretch there wings ,
Anybody in that area ? or any ideas of a decent flying space in that part of the country .

I don't know the area very well so any help would be fab .

Thanks
Paul

jr

Re: Oxfordshire

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi,

If you can make the short journey down the A34 to Newbury, you can fly at Henwick.

Tony S

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Usual places around west oxon are White Horse Hill (Uffington), and wittenham clumps. Never been to Wittenham, but WH hill normally gets more breeze than the land around it, and definitely has enough space.

If you have a preference for the odd straight line / figure with those Furies, I normally fly at Faringdon school, which has the advantages of being flat, not used at weekends, and 1/2 mile from home ! Is about half an hour from Didcot though.

There was a story from years ago about the gardens at Le Manoir being kite friendly, but you might have to book a table for lunch ......

Tony

prgdeltablues

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:43 pm

White Horse Hill is good, but pay to park. Wittenham Clumps is good too for inland winds - though on a slope, and you may have avoid the model aircraft club at weekends. Also the grass/flower meadow doesn't get cut, so it's already getting rather long and snags your lines easily. Oh, and the cows!

I fly there sometimes or at the nature reserve on the outskirts of Abingdon (Drayton Road) - ok winds, and flatter, but again getting long grass now until they mow it in July. Haven't tried Faringdon School, but have wondered about the Faringdon cricket club grounds - good area of mown grass and looks as if winds could be ok from some directions.

A bit further but Barbury Castle past Swindon is excellent - flat mown grass, free parking, on the edge of the downs so catches the wind (and some, at times).

Peter (hey, first post, lurked for a while!)

RoyReed

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:13 pm

prgdeltablues wrote:
White Horse Hill is good, but pay to park.

Or join the National Trust, then the parking's free.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

booty

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Paul/guys

I live near Oxford and usually fly with "Docjames" in Woodstock near the outdoor pool, I would be happy to meet up sometime.

Andy