Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Yan
Topic Author

Virtual Freestyle round 24 results......

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm

This was a high scoreing round =D>

It was close at the top all the way, but Bryan finished with a clear lead....

Many thanks as always to Kiteclique.com for hosting, Adrian Bickerstaffe for keeping website up to date, Peter Maternus (PAW) for the Apus, Antonis from Lumokites for the T shirts and Alex Belov for the last minute Eolo Venice.

Bryan Beasley                          230.90   100
Adrian Atherton                        221.20   96
Bjoern Jakob                           220.00   95
Maren Goti                             198.50   86
Tom Patterson                          194.10   84
Krijn Hemminga                         194.00   84
Gerardo Fisanotti                      190.20   82
Alex Belov                             189.30   82
Martin Ruano                           180.40   78
PotiPoti63                             170.50   74
Kosta                                  170.00   74
Rob Barden                             165.10   72
Fabio Angeli                           156.50   68
Gabriel Barrionuevo                    149.90   65
Anthony Eichele                        139.20   60
Dihong Shao                            137.10   59

jaydub

Re: Virtual Freestyle round 24 results......

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 am

Congrats, Bryan. :thumbsup:

Zippy8

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 am

I knew him when he was Mister Sixth Place.

You've changed, man..... :P

Mike.

fourmatic

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

Congrats Bryan(waiting for a banner picture soon.How it looks now?)
and all top 3 winners as well. =D>
See you next time.

Well done Gerardo, Love Buenos Aires :-D
Very Like the Konstantin flying this time.

Like that something changed between old ones :D
Keep it up guys!

It was a serious round.

Alex

kostaaa

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Congrats to the winners!

I have to say that I feel like I "mess" my scoring this time.... Ok, it was quite difficult to judge, but the end results differ more than ever to my expectations, which makes me think I'm not judging "right".
I watched all videos at least 5-6 times! So, I tried my best...

Maybe is discussion for another topic and maybe with the help of more experienced guys we can build some kind of criteria what to watch while judging and how the "perfect run" should like.

What do you think?

Zippy8

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:02 pm

kostaaa wrote:
Maybe is discussion for another topic and maybe with the help of more experienced guys we can build some kind of criteria what to watch while judging and how the "perfect run" should like.

What do you think?

This is always a good idea, if only to make sure everyone is on the same page.

But one of the central notions of VF is your scores. If you're happy that you've put in numbers that reflect how you see it, that's all we can ask for. Usually one or two rogue scores doesn't affect the overall result anyway.

Mike.

PAW

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Good work all of you and grats on Bryan...enjoy your Apus man :-)
Account deleted !

tpatters

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 am

Congrats Bryan!

kostaaa - It was indeed a close round for sure, my top rates were consistent (close enough) to the final as I recall.

It can be very subjective, just like any sort of judging I suppose. It would be neat to discuss and learn about tricking by reviewing them together (after the comp is over) - I'm just not sure how you would do it very well logistically. Perhaps use Google+. It would be interesting to get feedback as well as to see what others think of specific videos.

But, in the end, I'm not sure that there is a 'perfect run' due to numerous criteria such as number of tricks, complexity, 'cleanness', speed, flow, entry, exit, variation, filler flying, etc. Honestly, it would be hard to come to a complete consensus. But, I know what I like when I see it! :)

-Tom

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 am

There is a website where mixes from various cyber DJs are available, and along the timeline of the mix, other can insert comments about specific portions of any given track. Darned if I can't remember the name now. Something about a Cloud maybe.

It would be cool to make a set of VF videos available where with a log in, you could essentially add commentary which the viewer could toggle on and off to see what specific folks thought.

Is that easy on a webpage?

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Something about a Cloud maybe.

Soundcloud.

Is that easy on a webpage?

15... 20 minutes tops.

Mike.

Yan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

The draw is drawen!

Video is here

but if you can't wait to watch the video...

Apus Kite.(goes to the overall winner)......Bryan

VF Mug...............................................Dihong Shao

Eolo Venice.........................................Anthony Eichele

Lumokites T Shirts..............................Fabio Angeli and Maren Goti

Many thanks again to the prize givers.

Yan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 pm

kostaaa wrote:
What do you think?

Scoring is the hardest bit!
Especially for Freestyle.... It's so subjective, especially the 'artistic' bit.

To be able to put some commentary/constructive feedback along side an entry would be interesting if the entrant was happy for that.
For some more isolated flyers it may be the only way to get feedback from more experianced flyers.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Busy yesterday, just catching up on this...

... Oh Man! So many issues here.

Big thanks to Yan, and Adrian and the epitome of cool that is 'The Clique' and the guys who donated prizes this round - appreciated.

Well done all, and thanks for playing - great fun as always.

Now, WTF is that all about - no way in the world that entry should have won. I had like, a 15 minute daylight and camera window to play with, and from a technical (competitive flying) perpective, that's about the weakest entry I've put in since maybe round 4. I guess it just highlights the subjectivity of freestyle, score it the way you see it - no right, or wrong way to go about it - except maybe mine and Lara's view to the artistic scoring. Cool soundtrack and slamming beanie (or somesuch) = top marks, bored allready? = lower score. I just judge the technical flying as a whole. ;-)

@ Alex - Yeah... moved house just recently, the banner is kind of in the garage amongst a load of kite bags - I'll find it out and take some photos before the clocks change - honest. ;-)

@ Mike - I know right! I now have green eyes and nasty pointy teeth, but really would have been quite comfortable in 6th this time.

FWIW though, I am genuinely stoked to win with a 'Talon' - even if it was a quick flick around, and not the multi-wrap, multi rotation, cascaded waps and ladoles I should have put in there. 'cos that's what the kite is for.

Ermmm - went on a bit there, sorry - Well done all!

Bryan

kostaaa

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am

Yan wrote:
To be able to put some commentary/constructive feedback along side an entry would be interesting if the entrant was happy for that.
For some more isolated flyers it may be the only way to get feedback from more experianced flyers.

Absolutely Right!!! (thumbs up)
One way is to leave a comment on YouTube and hopefully the pilot will see it.... if he check his own video.

Imagine If we had accounts on virtualfreestyle.com for score directly from the site, watch results and personal statistics, leave comments on videos while scoring and interact each other.

I think I find why my scores were so different from the average....
For "Technical" I count the number of different tricks that are made and watch the entries & links between the tricks..... not so much the whole number of tricks.
For example if somebody does in the entire run only yo-yos, JLs, half-axel cascades and flic-flacs, entering in the same way these tricks..... probably I will score ~4 points for Technical (4 different tricks). On this logic I gave high score on Krijn's video because he made big variety of tricks even with small "trick per minute rate"-TPMR (flying with SUL).
Also I was thinking that the Bjoern's video gonna win because of the unique combinations and style. It's so impressive that... maybe not many people noticed that it's 3-4sec shorter (or gave it lower score for that reason?).

On the next round I will have in mind both TPMR and variety..... but without giving any bonus points on videos which are 1:30mins and in the last 30sec the pilot don't show anything new and finish in the air. It's good to fly longer and clean but let's leave the last 15-20sec for trying risky things, that will have no negative influence on the scores if don't succeed (the video can be cut off at the end).

Yan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 pm

kostaaa wrote:
Imagine If we had accounts on virtualfreestyle.com for score directly from the site, watch results and personal statistics, leave comments on videos while scoring and interact each other.

:shock: (looking for the jaw dropping smiley :-D )

What sort of personal statistics would you want to see?