Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

IRBC rule changes

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 pm

For all not STACK UK members, I received this from the IHJ today. It directly affects EC09...
Following deputations from AKA and AJSKA and after long discussion over several months, the IRBC has determined on the rule amendments detailed in the attached document. These will be formally published on the IRBC website as soon as possible.

Summary of Rule Changes:

Precision figures: Judged as an entity; critical elements discontinued; only one score per figure required from judges.

Scoring: No particular program preferred provided that the requirements specified in ISKJB are not compromised.

Discipline Judges: Numbers of judges required per discipline in international competition changed from 5 to a minimum of 3.

I would observe only that the changes are respectively intended -

· to make judging figures a clearer and more straightforward task,

· to encourage development of a wider range of scoring solutions and

· to make it easier to and less expensive to find staff for competitions.

All competitors and officials should familiarise themselves with the detail of these changes as set out in the attached document and make the necessary amendments to their personal copies of the IRBC Rule Books.

AJSKA has adopted these rule amendments with immediate effect. AKA will adopt them with effect from 01 August 2009. I have considered how best we can implement these changes in Europe and have advised my colleagues on IRBC that the 2009 STACK domestic competition season is not yet complete. IRBC accepts that, for the purposes of any remaining domestic competitions during 2009, it is left to STACK National Head Judges to decide, in consultation with their National Directors, whether these changes are implemented immediately OR with effect from their first round of domestic competition in 2010. I am concerned, however, that for international competition, STACK should not be out of step with AKA and AJSKA. These rule changes will therefore apply for Eurocup 2009.

Andrew Taylor
SIEC Delegate to IRBC
SIEC International Head Judge

Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

SteveB

Re: IRBC rule changes

Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Keithgrif wrote:

I would observe only that the changes are respectively intended -

· to make judging figures a clearer and more straightforward task,

· to encourage development of a wider range of scoring solutions and

· to make it easier to and less expensive to find staff for competitions.

[/quote]

I would observe only that the changes are intended to give Hans less rules to fiddle with ;-)
Gotta fly,

Steve

RoyReed

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47 pm

SteveB wrote:
I would observe only that the changes are intended to give Hans less rules to fiddle with ;-)

Shame not many people here will know the delights of HJodH :lol:

And do you really think it'll stop him! :nervous:
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Does it also include the wearing of large brimmed hats, and trenchcoat wear, in all weathers......

Peter

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Gary Matthews wrote:
Does it also include the wearing of large brimmed hats, and trenchcoat wear, in all weathers......

Bum, there goes my style!!!

Zippy8

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:10 pm

RoyReed wrote:
Shame not many people here will know the delights of HJodH :lol:

And do you really think it'll stop him! :nervous:

It only appears extreme until after you've tried to judge an event with him. Then it looks perfectly reasonable.

That said, as an outsider, I can't see how the first two achieve their stated aims.

Mike.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 pm

Folks.. I'm disappointed at the personal remarks made here. I know some are said with tongue firmly locked within cheek.. but even still... especially so when the person concerned is a member of this forum.

Zippy8 wrote:
That said, as an outsider, I can't see how the first two achieve their stated aims.

As an insider I will try to explain...

Precision figures: Judged as an entity; critical elements discontinued; only one score per figure required from judges.

Each figure used to have 3 sub-scores against it.. 2 for key elements and 1 for the general overall quality of the figure.

* It would seem not all nations adopting this .. and favoured the original 1 score system for their own competitions
* Competitors were able to get reasonable scores by exclusively focusing on just the 2 critical components
* Took longer for judges to fill in and more work to calculate final score.

Scoring: No particular program preferred provided that the requirements specified in ISKJB are not compromised.

By program, I'm not sure if it's obvious here but this refers to the computer program that is used to collate all the scores at the end of the competition. So this one doesn't really affect the competitors.
Dave Morley

Zippy8

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 am

mobius wrote:
Folks.. I'm disappointed at the personal remarks made here.

Blessed are the cheesemakers, Dave. :wink:

Each figure used to have 3 sub-scores against it.. 2 for key elements and 1 for the general overall quality of the figure.

Yeah, this was silly. But having the Three Elephants was good for the flyer and judge to focus on what made the figure the figure. Am I to understand that the KEs are still there in the description but no longer scored separately 'cos that makes good sense ?

By program, I'm not sure if it's obvious here but this refers to the computer program that is used to collate all the scores at the end of the competition. So this one doesn't really affect the competitors.

Hmmm. I had a bad experience with this once (or twice... or...). One nation and I invite you all to speculate which used their own program, devised by their Head Judge. When asked to view it, merely to check and verify it's veracity, I was told that the equations were private, the property of the aforementioned HJ and would not be divulged.

That kind of wankery for wankery's sake really ought not to be encouraged.

Mike.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 am

Zippy8 wrote:

Yeah, this was silly. But having the Three Elephants was good for the flyer and judge to focus on what made the figure the figure. Am I to understand that the KEs are still there in the description but no longer scored separately 'cos that makes good sense ?

The term "critical component" is to be removed. However, what were the CCs, will be still in the description. So yes, they will looked for by the judge, but not individually scored.
Dave Morley

Zippy8

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am

mobius wrote:
The term "critical component" is to be removed. However, what were the CCs, will be still in the description. So yes, they will looked for by the judge, but not individually scored.

That seems eminently sensible then :thumbsup:

Mike.