Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:21 pm

Craig wrote:
sorry Andy, but whats the point, there are already Trick comps why confuse matters. As it is less than 20 people compete (novice and master) all your doing is flying against the same folks.

There are only 5 (at most) trick comps over the whole of the summer season. This is hardy overwhelming. Infact, it's hard to see from this how there is any real incentive to be anything other than a recreational weekend flyer.

Yes, there will always be those that do it 'because it's there'. I am probably one of those people, I can't quite take myself that seriously, but the down side to this is I don't really progress very quickly.

For people like Andy, Martin, Jim, SteveR, smr, etc etc who have taken part in the trickouts at festivals and who thrive on this kind of thing I can see that it is not only fun but also a way of accessing the skills of other flyers and as I might have said earlier, bringing the level of sport kiting at the ground level up a few notches. This can't be a bad thing can it?
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:27 pm

jimothy wrote:
but any late entries will take forever to reach the top if you do points.

This isn't meant to be a league, after all....

OK. Say you are NO1 and you happen to be on 40 points.

I am new and on 1 point. I fly against you and win. Yay. I get the difference between our points plus one = 41 points. You are second on 40 points.

Say however that I do sod all for a month, and you accept five challenges and win. You would then be on 45 points and I am on 41 points - so you take the top spot again as I have been doing nowt.

Easy huh. To get right to the top all new fliers have to do is beat someone good and keep winning.

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:29 pm

Does the above make sense. Trust me this sort of ladder really does work without too many problems, and encourages people to keep competing. Every so often you can always reset the points again.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:34 pm

Oh, I also think that it is quite possible that with a different, easily accessible competition format more people may well be encouraged to enter. It has to be worth a go anyway. :D

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:45 pm

SpOoC wrote:
For people like Andy, Martin, Jim, SteveR, smr, etc etc who have taken part in the trickouts at festivals and who thrive on this kind of thing I can see that it is not only fun but also a way of accessing the skills of other flyers and as I might have said earlier, bringing the level of sport kiting at the ground level up a few notches. This can't be a bad thing can it?

don't get me wrong, I'm all for raising the bar, but IMHO I think the Trickster is a superior format for this (as discussed previously). Trick-Outs whilst fun (?) do little to increase skill levels. see Martins 3rd post on this page: http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=45

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:51 pm

As this is informal, and apart from the STACK run comps I think there would be room to run it alongside the others, and as stated the STACK Trick Out results also count on the ladder.

I don't really get where that other post comes in, Craig?

Ed - The point system might indeed make more sense in this situation. I'll sit down and do some what-ifs later on...

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:04 pm

I think the ladder system will remove some of the luck-of-the-draw of the trickout format. As it stands in trickout, if the 2 best flyers in attendance are drawn against each other in the first rounds then they cannot be placed 1st and 2nd.
Jason.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:08 pm

Andy wrote:
I don't really get where that other post comes in, Craig?

sorry, thought it was fairly clear, to precis Martin, you were beaten by a MiniGem being spanked whilst you flew technically better does this make any more sense ?

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:27 pm

I was beaten by Sean / Shaun because I did about as many tricks as Andrew Beattie's Manta for the first 30 seconds. It was voted on by seven or eight judges... Martin's entitled to his opinion there, but I stand by the judges decision - I think I'd probably have picked Mr Turpin too.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:01 pm

Agreed, it's a subjective format but for informality and therefore getting the show on the road, the trick out is surely better? Apart from anything else, my understanding is that Tricksters are a 'bugger' to judge so I don't think it's an option for this kind of event.

Having said that, from what I saw of the trickster at Southampton, it definitly has merit, even if it isn't as 'freestyle' as the trickout, but I think we have already had that particular discussion...

...maybe I should keep out of this though, as I am not really a fair judge of competitive kiting.

RoyReed

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:02 pm

I agree with Craig that the Trickster format would probably be better for a ladder scoring competition. In theory it should be less subjective. And it would add a format that a lot of people seem to like.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:36 pm

Tricksters are harder to jusge. The one I judged the better flier on the day lost because they couldn't quite nail the slotmachine. To be honest it is a trick that I never do or think about either ... along with a whole bunch of other stuff not in my 'style'.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:47 pm

kHiTe wrote:
Tricksters are harder to jusge. The one I judged the better flier on the day lost because they couldn't quite nail the slotmachine. To be honest it is a trick that I never do or think about either ... along with a whole bunch of other stuff not in my 'style'.

yeah so you lose, then you go learn it. Is that not how you get better ?

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:52 pm

Perhaps. But I still reckon part of Freestyle is the ability to develop your own style and fly the stuff you want to fly. It's all okay.

I am happy to judge Tricksters, but as I said it can be tough.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:56 pm

Trouble is tricksters aren't one-on-one by definition, whereas a trick-out is.