Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

TP scoring

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:31 pm

As were due to learn a little more about TP this weekend at New Brighton....

I was reviewing the footage of the St Augustine Sports kite Classic held on Jan 29th 2006 (its at the bottom of the page)....

.... and after seeing the vids I noticed Randy G was placed 8th of 8 when it appeared he should have been placed considerably higher up the rankings (to my untutored eye).

What am I missing??? :?
KITE Rx

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I haven't watched it, but maybe a penalty for flying outside the circle?

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Didn't watch all of them but I think in his ballet there were some things he went for but the wind kicked the kite out.

Imposed tricks looked neat aside from a iffy RC (or was it the Insane?).

Guess it's just the strict judging in TP, puts hairs on your chest :cool:

Mark

audiorob

Re: TP scoring

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Neil E wrote:
As were due to learn a little more about TP this weekend at New Brighton....

I was reviewing the footage of the St Augustine Sports kite Classic held on Jan 29th 2006 (its at the bottom of the page)....

.... and after seeing the vids I noticed Randy G was placed 8th of 8 when it appeared he should have been placed considerably higher up the rankings (to my untutored eye).

What am I missing??? :?

There were more than 8 people there.

I've never quite understood TP scoring myself, often looking back at videos you wonder if the judges were watching the same routine as the video camera was. I've competed twice and both times I couldn't understand how the scores came to be even disregarding my own performance.

-----

Have you read the TP definitions? Often tricks are counted as zero simply because you did not do them EXACTLY right. If you exit in the wrong direction, dont repeat enough times, dont enter properly etc... you will get a very low score or 0 score for the trick.

Placing also is determined by the imposed tricks and 40% of ballet has to do with the ballet itself rather than the tricks.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

Nils

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 pm

I've entered a couple of TPs last year, and altough I didn't score very well it did give me an insight into the way points are assigned.
Yes, the rules are quite strict and yes, it can seem unfair at first.
But, this system pushes the pilots to become more consistent and preform the tricks more cleanly, controled and on que.
The strict rules also provide the judges with a consistent way to score the tricks.
You need to get used to the system, but once you do you can really see the advantages.

danteuk

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:31 am

I only watch Randy's and the 1st place guy. I thought Randy did better on the imposed tricks but the other guys ballet was much better ( though the music was a little obvious :) )
MyKites - That is not dead that can eternal lie, yet in strange aeons this damn kite might fly.

mavave

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:32 am

Aside from the scoring thingy, Egan Davis' Ballet is brilliant .
Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny.

Alain

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 am

Andy S wrote:
I haven't watched it, but maybe a penalty for flying outside the circle?

7-2 PENALITIES
_ Individual pilot may cross once the red line during a 20 seconds lap time. Next crosses induce a 1 point penalty for every 15 seconds spent out of the field.

8-)

Look at the detailled Ballet Tricks... result...
Randy is performing only half of his tricks during the Ballet (6 are bad, 12 tricks total) and half of the remaining trick does not score very high, his best note is 8 for the fade!

Egan has only one "bad" trick (one out of 12) and 5 of his tricks score more than 10 points!

I only watch Randy's and the 1st place guy. I thought Randy did better on the imposed tricks but the other guys ballet was much better ( though the music was a little obvious Smile )

Imposed Tricks
Randy has a better spike but it was his second try and it count only 80% of the full note...
But Egan performed well the insane not Randy, on the Rolling Suzan and the Cascade both pilot performance is worth about the same number of points!

Easy to understand...
If you take the time to read the rules, and/or perform once in a trick party!
:-D

randyg

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Well that's just dandy. :shock: I completely stink it up in the first official TP-USA event and now, over a year later, someone links to it and it's being discussed across two continents. Great! :oops:

Alain is correct. You have to know what tricks the pilot is going for before you can judge a TP ballet. Definitely mine was pathetic and in no way compares to Egan's, or any of the folks in front of me for that matter. 8)

I have to admit I was so disgusted that I left the field that day with the intent to never fly a kite again. I failed at that, too! :cry:

I should also point out that the judges fouled up the scoring on my Insane in IT. Alex gave me a 0 but Rob and Ron a 6. It should have been discussed amongst them as apparently Alex missed something or he wrote a 6 that looked like a 0. (They were new to this, too.) TP USA wouldn't change the score after the fact saying it wouldn't affect the final placings so I wound up tied for 3rd in IT. :cry: Not a good weekend for me all the way around and had hoped to forget it forever. Thanks, Neil. :oops:

TP is great fun, particularly a 3 round event but when things go bad it can be pretty frustrating. :mad: That's usually when there is some goofball behind you with a video camera. :shock:

Now I'm off to lick my previously closed wounds.
Randy
My Blog

Zippy8

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:18 pm

This has been discussed earlier, especially with regard to RonG's result:performance at the World Tricks Party. If you look at TP with STACK/IRB eyes you'll get baffled. It's quite different.

In essence, with TP it's possible to get a very passable score by performing a handful of tricks well and just monging the kite into the ground for the rest of the time. Do that with STACK/IRB and you'll be lucky to stay in positive points territory.

Similarly a TP performance that hangs together as a complete routine might do badly (or indeed very badly) if those special moments within it aren't up to much.

Mike.

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm

:D Ah haaaa - all is becoming clearer. I'm looking forward to 'freezing' again in this ''pretend competition'', after which I will no doubt want to set light to my kites again. Alain's explanation seems to enlighten the myteries surrounding it the most - and I guess it is by far the best way to implement scoring - actually if you look at the examples give by Alain it seems to make near perfect sense. Or it will until I flunk out :lol:

:P Sorry about dragging this up Randy old chap - no hurt meant, I enjoyed watching you fly. You should have been placed much higher up the list IMO :P

Thanks for everyones input :D
KITE Rx

randyg

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:24 pm

:P

It's a good idea to read very carefully each trick definition and understand what the judges are looking for. Also, the selection of tricks for your A and B routines are critically important. I use my B routine for either very high or very low wind conditions and my A routine for standard winds. Keep in mind that a flyer can change up to two tricks right before you begin your routine so that gives you a bit of flexibility if you feel the need to change out a trick for whatever reason.

Thanks for the kind words but I placed where I should have at that comp.
Randy

My Blog