Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 19, 2005 6:14 pm

Kitejan, you can't be that new to all of this , because i have been on your website on many occasions, you make some great Revs, also listened to that radio commentary as well.......as the others have said, just come down to any of the Stack events...i personally would be really pleased to meet you, another Rev flier, just what we need in comps...see you soon!!!

Gary the Rev

"THE REVOLUTION"

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 pm

Watch over the summer, do winter leagues afterwards.

Okay, so that's just what we did. No obligation to follow our lead (& if you've seen our flying you probably wouldn't :D ). But winter leagues are easier & less rule bound (& attract more fun flyers so you don't feel as intimidated).
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

kitejan
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Hi Garry,

No I'm not new to flying! Just wondering about competition things. I find that I'm fine in 'messing around' flying where it doesn't matter if it goes a bit pear shaped - I can make it look like I meant that all along. When trying to put a routine to music I find it a lot harder to be accurate and consistant. Same for the set figures. However thats the challenge in improving the flying skills isn't it?

Anyway I also look forward to catching up with you as well - are you at MW?

Jan

PS: Oh yes the Radio Sheffield Interview - I assume it's the Bernie Clifton one form February? Although I haven't had the courage to listen to it since I suspect I don't come over all that eloquent since I *really* didn't expect Bernie to actuall manage to fly the Rev - so when he did I had no idea as to how to explain what next!

shamu
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 19, 2005 11:56 pm

KiteJan... my advice is come along and see hwta you think. from my pov, kitefliers are some of the most embracing people i have met in terms of a hobby / sport... there is a real sense of community, and "newbies" or comp "virgins" get all the help they need...

furthermore by competing you can get positive feedback from judges baout how to improve your "technical" flying ability

anyway, back to work (16 1/2 hours and i'm a free man)...

see you on the field soon
::
Robin Smith
Sponsored by Carl Robertshaw: www.kitestudio.com
Fractured Axel Shop :
Shanti Lines (Nice one guys!)

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 20, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes kitejan, i will be at MW, competing in the Multiline indi and Team ("The Revolution"). we are the ones with Blue, Black ,White and Yellow custom Revs...i'm the thinner of the 3...comments welcome GT and Woody!!!
My 1st year of comp last year...have to agree with what Robin said in the last post..really friendly bunch..you may do better than you think, if you enter comps!!!

Gary the Rev

"THE REVOLUTION"

Peter

Sat May 21, 2005 9:07 pm

If you get to middle wallop, do come over and introduce yourself - If I'm not working with STACK and about I would be delighted to help and explain (even though I'm considered two line flyer).
most of us have started thanks to friends, done some winter league stuff (light hearted comps) or come along to a boot camp, then followed through to the summer comps. (bit more serious) when we're ready and fancy a go.
No too sure about the insurance aspects and why we do, but we all have stack cover as a matter of cause as it covers us at all times, some club insurances don't!! (I think MKF is a better one on this count). the BBC insurance does not cover sport kites, just power and traction.
I'm sure some of the guys and galls will come fly with you, as you'll find in kiteflying, we enjoy showing off and only too keen to help newbies get the jist of what we do.

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 24, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi Jan

your good enough to compete at any level you choose mate

Theres now about 16 rev fliers in the NKG .... a few of which are getting quite good indeed. After you left the beach last week, a few of us started bashing ideas about re rev comps and training toward the end of this summer ...... your name was put forward as head coach :wink:

Anyway, we can discuss it next time we meet. See you soon, Neil
KITE Rx

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Neil....Rev comps, whats going on.......not informing me.....wait till i see you!!!!!!

Gary the Rev

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 25, 2005 12:01 pm

'Sup Gary, slacking on the networking?

Bryan

kitejan
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2005 3:24 pm

Thanks for the comments - will look forward to meeting (some of) you at Wallop. Who knows might even try my hand at competition there....

But a question no one has answered yet: Insurance for taking part in a comp. at Wallop. I'm a member of the MKF so I have stunt/sport kite insurance why would I have to pay £10 for STACK insurance on the day just to take part? I don't mind paying £10 entrance fee since I'm not a member of STACK, but an additional £10 insurance when I'm already insured....... If I liked the competition aspect I would possibly join STACK when my MKF membership runs out.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 pm

A good question.

How much liability cover does it give you?
Dave Morley

kitejan
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2005 3:47 pm

Checking their website (http://www.mkf.org.uk) we have this under Membership benefits:

Public Liability Insurance for up to 5million uk pounds, wherever and whenever the member is flying a kite safely for pleasure - not just at club events.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 25, 2005 4:14 pm

Really one for Mr STACK UK.. but would seem to be more than adequate. I would point out that STACK members pay approx. £10 for an indi event so I would have thought as a non-member you'd be asked for a couple of pounds more... only fair really to the members that have also paid for a year's comp license. Perhaps though if you sign-up for membership on the day this could be waivered? :)
Dave Morley

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 25, 2005 4:39 pm

A similar situation was happening within the buggying comunity until a year or so ago. Membership was;
BBC = £15 (£10 of which was for the insurance)
PKA = £25 (£10 of which again was for the insurance)
Members wanting to join both queried the figures about paying for the insurance twice, and now they have a system where if you're a member of the BBC you only pay the extra £15 to join the PKA, or if you're a member of the PKA you can join the BBC for £5.

This was all sorted out by Mike Shaw (Flexifoil) if anyone wanted to speak to him about it at Wallop this weekend.
Jason.

kitejan
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2005 4:50 pm

This is where I got the figure from (up on Page 1):
stackuk wrote:
....his would be £10 for insurance and £10 competition fee.

I agree the £10 competition fee is fair & that as a non-STACK member would expect to pay (or even pay more).