Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 10, 2005 5:50 pm

The bit where the arena goes is actually the runway. They probably like to keep it clear of human life at night, just in case.
Jason.

abw

Tue May 10, 2005 5:53 pm

mobius wrote:
I really can't see the issue being about space.. after all the place is massive..

But the camping area (e.g. the grass on the near side of the runway) is small, and in previous years has been absolutely jam packed.

They could allocate a larger camping area, but it would mean cutting into buggying/flying area which I would imagine they are loathed to do.

I think it's more about being able to push the price of tickets up.. supply and demand and all that.

I dunno. There seems to be more than enough demand with the tickets priced as they currently are. If they could sell another 100 camping passes then it's another 1500 quid.

Of course I could be wrong and that there is a limit for insurance or some other red taped reason.

That's possibly more likely. They don't want any more buggiers/boarders crowding an already overcrowded field. But extra STACK fliers shouldn't be a problem for them...

Ho hum. I imagine I'll be going, camping pass or not.

A

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 10, 2005 7:03 pm

Ordered the tickets ages ago, and the cheque has been cashed so I guess that means there is a pass on the way. Nothing yet though. Going on my own cos 'er indoors has a dancing festival with little 'un and the other kite flying Beasleys' will be off to Tewkesbury (Bless 'em). Anyway there'll be an empty sleeping compartment if anyone is deserate. Assuming JW has sorted himself out.

Bryan

John

Tue May 10, 2005 8:03 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Anyway there'll be an empty sleeping compartment if anyone is deserate. Assuming JW has sorted himself out.

Bryan

Happy to share depending on whether we fall out after pairs at Rougham :( .
John

Peter

Wed May 11, 2005 8:37 am

Camping around the arena might be possable, but we need the passes just to get onto the field in the first place!!!
tried two camp sites and they are full - hillside campsite to the south and another (forgoten name, but a farm site) north of Andover. this could get difficult!!
If I don't find somewhere, I'll end up giving it a miss!
WHKF are in the same boat, and they are invited.........
P.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 11, 2005 12:19 pm

Time to ask Mr P to charge in on his white horse? :lol:
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Peter

Wed May 11, 2005 12:47 pm

I hope so, I notice he's got his ticket! pritty please Andy, can you twist any arms???

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 11, 2005 11:30 pm

Sorry guys. This one is locked down by Flexifoil. They have been given strict rules regarding the amount of camping onsite. There was an allocation of 900 camping tickets, so the site is going to be very busy.

I booked myself two passes back in early April, just in case. There is space for two individuals (one in each tent), as long as you do not mind sharing with Hans Jansen or me.
:D
Andy

abw

Thu May 12, 2005 7:18 am

aphelps wrote:
Sorry guys. This one is locked down by Flexifoil.

Looks like I won't be going then... I'm certainly not planning to commute every day :(

It seems a shame that we sticky fliers have been pushed out of this festival because of the high demand from newbie power kiters. But in this respect, I guess we're the old skool and this festival just isn't for us any more.

A

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 12, 2005 10:22 am

We had exactly the same chances of buying tickets as those newbie power kiters when the tickets went up on sale on 5th April. The site clearly states that camping tickets are available in advance only. Only day passes will be available on the day. Five weeks later they've sold out.
Jason.

abw

Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 am

Jason wrote:
We had exactly the same chances of buying tickets as those newbie power kiters when the tickets went up on sale on 5th April. The site clearly states that camping tickets are available in advance only. Only day passes will be available on the day. Five weeks later they've sold out.

Yep. I wasn't suggesting it was unfair, rather that we sticky fliers have never had to worry about a festival "selling out" of camping passes before. We are the unwitting victims of power kiting's success.

Unfortunately, when you have a 4 month old baby, and you're also planning to spend a week away in the South of France, you can't commit to something like this 5 weeks in advance. 15 quid ain't that much, but I'd rather not have to buy a pass in advance if I'm then not going to use it.

Maybe next year I'll buy all 900 passes on the first day and sell them on at a profit. There could be a nice black market earner there... ;-)

Anyone want tickets? Anyone want tickets now? 30 quid each or 50 for a pair....

A

Peter

Thu May 12, 2005 12:45 pm

not seen any on ebay just yet.....

BF

Fri May 20, 2005 11:58 am

Flexifoil have posted a map of the layout for Middle Wallop:
http://www.flexifoil.com/fileshare/fw1_info_map.jpg
It appears that the beer tent and traders have been shifted much closer to the entrance than in previous years.

There's an excellent aerial photo of the airfield here:
http://www.kiteworld.fsnet.co.uk/Wallop.jpg

Brian

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 20, 2005 5:48 pm

For the price of 65 campers they could have provided a shower block. I'd rather have paid for a shower block than the fancy printing. :(
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

RoyReed

Fri May 20, 2005 6:19 pm

Vee wrote:
For the price of 65 campers they could have provided a shower block. I'd rather have paid for a shower block than the fancy printing. :(

Power kiters like gloss but not washing :lol:
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design