Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Stephen Hoath

Re: Tricks Party UK

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:56 pm

The site at Dunstable Downs is great and with easy access to the M1 and luton airport. The NT have been very supportive and might be persuaded to host something. I have contact details if it helps.
Stephen Hoath

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks Stephen, I don't like to offer your flying field without asking first :-)
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Yan
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:21 am

Stephen Hoath wrote:
The site at Dunstable Downs is great and with easy access to the M1 and luton airport. The NT have been very supportive and might be persuaded to host something. I have contact details if it helps.

mmm, could be good, would it be free?

TBH at the moment I am thinking of doing the first one at rougham in the late spring - there is space, we can camp on site and it's less than 1 minute from the a14.
As a club SKF does charge people to camp, but there won't be any other fees.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 pm

No camping at Dunstable but it is public space so you can all show off the the great unwashed public.
Keith
STACK UK

Stephen Hoath

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Yan wrote:
mmm, could be good, would it be free?

I had a chat to the guys at Dunstable today and they seemed very open to the idea of a tricksparty. The venue would have no financial cost (maybe something for camping, i would have to find out) but we would want to be able to use images of the weekend in promotion of the annual kite festival and maybe get some of you to help us show local fliers and people how to kite freestyle.

Ideally the NT would like to host something before the kite festival at the end of July so that we can build some momentum leading up to the main kite festival. The site is excellent with good winds (most of the time). The visitors centre is next to the car park which is next to the flying sight. The site team are accustomed to working with kitefliers as they have hosted a round of STACK as well as the annual kite festival.

The site itself is just off the M1 (Jct11) and 20 minutes from London Luton airport. There is ample parking, space for camper vans (although there is no electricity or water hook up.

So, what would you need to have you all there?

Stephen
Stephen Hoath

Yan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks Stephen :cool:

Stephen Hoath wrote:
So, what would you need to have you all there? Stephen

- We still need a couple of Uk based Judges or people willing to shadow judge. We all may have to take it in turns to field direct.
- Something loud to play music on for ballets.
- Competitors and (as the actual comp may not take much time) people willing to coach flyers.
I can source posts and rope for an arena.

I am thinking about the second weekend in may... but i haven't checked that against other events yet.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:39 pm

A lot of those resources are available from STACK, I'm sure you are in communication with Barry about this aren't you.
Keith
STACK UK

Yan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Keithgrif wrote:
I'm sure you are in communication with Barry about this aren't you.

Not at the moment, only because I want to keep cost to an absolute minimum and wanted to avoid any complications with on the day match fees or comp licences ect... (maybe naively)

Not much point in pushing it further without any uk based judges stepping up.

Yan
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:54 am

OK, as some of you will have noticed I have joined in with the STACK event at Dunstable on 31st May/1st June. Trick/Freestyle events will be on the Sunday.
Due to the curve balls that life throws sometimes I won't have time to organise a full TP. I propose that we do a peer judged ballet comp. and trick out.
We will have to contribute to the cost of hiring the pa for the weekend. I don't know how much this will be and am aware that this may be a barrier to entry for some.
As always I am keen to hear people thoughts, negative or positive.
Some idea of how many people plan to attend would also help.

Tony S

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Yan,

I will be there doing STACK stuff - would be happy to also judge whatever format you want.

Cheers - Tony

Stephen Hoath

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Great news, i will be there to watch and learn. I'm sure you will all be made most welcome by the local fliers, even if you are two lines short of a set! ;0)
Stephen Hoath

Yan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Tony S wrote:
I will be there doing STACK stuff - would be happy to also judge whatever format you want.

Cheers Tony, Hopefully I will take you up on that! :-D

Yan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:46 pm

I wrote this for my local club. It's not a moan, just meant as an explanation for the people I fly with week in, week out, how I came to win a tricks comp. :shock: Some of it is probably relevant here.

Within all areas of kiteing there are subdivisions, in the power scene there are the folk who want to jump and do aerial tricks and there are those who want to go for all out speed. In the single line scene there are people who like the big inflatables and others who like to fly individual pieces of art.

In dual line there are also a number of divisions, those who want to go for all out speed, people who like to fly together (team) and choreograph it to music, people who like to fly straight lines and figures (and also choreograph it to music) and people who like to do tricks (and some like to choreograph it to music).
In the dual line scene the divides in the different subgroups seem wider than in the other areas of kiting. I don't know why, but that is how it seems to me.

I believe that in order for an activity to be a sport and not a pass-time there needs to be competition. So I set about trying to organise uk trick comps. After spending some time trying to set up an event that could be owned by the freestyle/trick flyers and only getting encouragement and support from flyers in Europe or outside the freestyle scene I opted to join with the STACK national championships - They were willing to support a Tricks Party event and already had all the makings of a competition in place (venue, arena, PA system, someone willing to Judge).

So the date was given out in plenty of time and opinions negative or positive asked for. No response came from any uk freestyle flyers. I pitched up on competition day and was the only freestyle orientated pilot there. However we did have all the other parts in place and some other very competent flyers willing to make it into a competition. So the UK Tricks Party Comp went ahead.

The set tricks for the first part of the competition were Axel, Side Slide and Two Point Landing and the second part was a tricks focussed ballet, none of us had had a prepared ballet so it was done on the fly. :lol:
There was no wind at all other the occasional 'gusts' caused by thermals. It was good fun and I won by a small margin.

Yan :-)

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Good for you Yan, you organised it, went along and won, you can only fly against whoever turns up to fly on the day. Shame that there weren't more competitors but that's the way things are, everyone seems to have other things to do at the moment, including me :-(

John

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 am

Thank you Yan for organising it. As a "non trick flier" on a borrowed kite I really enjoyed it and perhaps may even be encouraged to do it again. Perhaps my result shows that some skills are generic and transferable, but there again, perhaps it was just the luck of the wind!
John