Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Miserableoldgit
Topic Author

New member, first post

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am

Hi All. This is the first post of a new member. I have been reading the posts on F.A. for some time but, being a technophobe, needed help in registering. Thanks kevspilly.
My question, does anyone take any four-line kite seriously other than the Revolution? Yes, I would love to be able to fly a Rev like the Robertshaw brothers (and others), but I am too old to dedicate the rest of my life to that one aim. Besides, I like flying a variety of kites. I find kites like H.Q’s M-Quad and New Tech’s Spirit to be precise and accurate. I am not so fond of the Airbow or the Mosquito; the Airbow’s style is not my style. For sheer fun, exuberance and visual impact there is the Skydancer. (Perhaps another time for the purists to wear their “No Tails” tee-shirt!)
My point, there are other four-line kites to fly, each with their own characteristics, good points and bad points, but all you seem to get on forums is Rev, Rev,Rev.
Ecclesiastes 1 : 6

uktotty

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 am

Welcome to the site, I have a rev and I also have foils, single line and carious other wacky ones.
This site however is dedicated to dual line stunters!
Anything else is the spawn of Satan. :)
Benson DS - Fury Full Size - Rev 1.5SUL - Rev 1.5 SLE - Alpha Plus - Cody - 3 Symphony's - 2 NPW's - Viper - Vento - Wild Thang - Flexifoils - Elliot Mystic

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:59 am

uktotty wrote:

Yeah mate, that's why we have a Quad-line section.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Andy S wrote:
uktotty wrote:

Yeah mate, that's why we have a Quad-line section.

only used to stop littering the place up...

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: New member, first post

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Miserableoldgit wrote:
...My question, does anyone take any four-line kite seriously...

No.

Bryan

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Best four-line kite to be not taken seriously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8OF4XtR9o
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:04 pm

See, now I want a flying pig to go along with the flying pterodactyl that's not ordered yet.

Bryan

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 pm

I promised myself that i would not spend on kites this year, but having seen the vid i want a pig kite :shock:

fungus :D
w H ind c H ecks H ar 4 w H imps

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Well…. I am going to stick my neck out here……. I love my Revs. I love dual line kites, but my Revs are great. I like them just as much as the duallies.

Timelord

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Welcome to the forum mate I can't comment on the rev's as I've never even flown one, but it is on my list of kites to own. I do have the Airbow and absolutely love it. A friend of mine who is a rev flyer says that the Airbow is totally different to fly compared to the rev.

I think that learning all types of kites and the flying techniques that come with them is well worth the time and money invested :)

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Like most people who want to become better kite flyer.....you need a bit of dedication and a fair amount of time on your hands, be it two line or four line, there is unfortunatly, no real quick route.......

Timelord

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Gary Matthews wrote:
Like most people who want to become better kite flyer.....you need a bit of dedication and a fair amount of time on your hands, be it two line or four line, there is unfortunatly, no real quick route.......

I totally agree with you there Gary. I'm fortunate to be semi-retired (I run a business with 30 staff) so basically I'm a man of leisure after I've opened my doors. Thus meaning all day I can play with my Kites and practice lots :D I've only been flying for about 1 1/2 months and already I've pulling some basic stuff off with my dual line but when it comes to quad line I've only had my Airbow for a couple of days. I have a mean sun tan from the last couple of days whilst learning to fly it and I think I'm doing well so far as I am persistent in trying to perfect things in different kinds of wind...

Zippy8

Re: New member, first post

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Miserableoldgit wrote:
all you seem to get on forums is Rev, Rev,Rev.

They are the way, the truth and the light. :P

I can't think of one quad tribe (iQuad, Flying Squid, FLIC, etc, etc) that doesn't do Revs. Outside of a few notable exceptions I only ever saw Revs (or Rev-copies or I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Revs) in competition.

So in answer to your question "does anyone take any four-line kite seriously other than the Revolution?" the answer is probably no serious quadline flier does but feel free to make your own mind up.

Mike.

Infinitive

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:02 am

I take nicely made Rev copies pretty seriously. Can't stand the real things - how can anyone keep a stright face when flying something with "REVOLUTION" comically emblazoned across it like it's some 2D-bow-tie superhero? 8)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

kitejan

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,

Well as mainly a quad line flyer I have a (of course) a number of Revs - but as well I have some other fun Quads.
I see you have a Skydancer - lovely kite with or without the tails, but there are some others to try. I would highly recommend a Guildworks Synergy Deca. Perhaps flies more like an Airbow than a Rev but one of the nicest kites in my opinion.
A rare but wonderful one is the Freevol LX - fully symmetrical and looks a little like a 4 point star in flight.

The http://www.kites4u.co.uk/ site has some unusual quad line kites which (at some point...) I might be looking into, especially the Knockout.

If you can make your own I would recommend Didier Ferment's site http://perso.nnx.com/dferment/summar2.htm#4lignes - some unusual designs there.

Jan