Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Barresi Rev

Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am

Hi All
its the time of year for a new kite :D
last year i considered the Barresi rev, but the low end wind speed is 3mph, that would be a luxury as i nearly always find myself flying in very low winds.
so last year i bought 3 new rev sails SUL STD and VENT and using frames and handles i already had gave me 3 rev's set up ready to go, and as i thought the SUL was the 1 most flown.
any chance of a Barresi SUL? or is there a way of flying the B's in low wind? or should i just get a B anyway cause everyone else has?
:?
fungus :-)
w H ind c H ecks H ar 4 w H imps

Choccy

Re: Barresi Rev

Mon May 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Fungus wrote:
any chance of a Barresi SUL? or is there a way of flying the B's in low wind? or should i just get a B anyway cause everyone else has?

Hello Fungus

You shouldn't buy a kite just "cause everyone else has" ;)
Low wind range is a bit frustrating I'll admit.
I prefer the vented B and find the standard works ok in light winds but not super light winds.

Have yet to try the standard with (light yet strong) race rods.

I've not tried a SUL so I'll leave it for others to chat about that.
Choccy (funsized).

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanx Choccy
i had thought about the 'race rods' to get more out of the SUL and 4wrap to extend the VENT.
But its not like recieving :oops: ( i know, i only went to skool for the uniform and free scule meals) a complete new kite, it is my birthday next week after all :D
thanks again for your thoughts.

Rev Addict

Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 pm

I flew had my B Standard with Pro Use spars this weekend and then had the opportunity to fly a SUL with Race Rods, big difference. The SUL had a far better feel, I dont know if this was due to the race rods, but they will be my next buy. :D
Jim
The Rock Ape

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 06, 2008 5:54 am

If you have an SUL sail, a set of Race Rods is the way to go, they will cost you around £50. Before Race Rods I used to use P90 but though it is lighter, it is very flexible and therefore a lot less precise. An sul sail with Race Rods is defiantly the way to go. You could also consider lighter lines, I have a couple of 50lb sets for when the wind is really low.
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue May 06, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks Jim and Bob
I will take your advice, will order 'race' and 4ply rods , are they available in the UK, I wonder?
Any idea if 'race rods' improve the B rev at low wind speeds?
My thoughts on the B rev is that the low end wind speed makes it a 'beach' kite, no good for the midlands, also the option of swiching frames would cut into the flying time i have.
At the last count i had 10 rev's, 3 sets of handles and lots of line sets including some nice pink :oops: 25dn protec and some new 90lb shanti ( from FA shop) that needs cutting and sleeving into 120ft sets, and i like to know that i can pick a kite , line and handle and fly.

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 am

me again
just been window shopping, at kiteworld - set of race rods £65, also they can supply B sails £105, with race rods and all the other frames I've got?!

nuff daydreaming gotta walk dog and go to work

fungus

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Fungus - I would definitely recommend the Race Rods. They give fantastic low wind performance.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 06, 2008 1:04 pm

With the sails you have I wouldn't bother with a "B" sail. I know a lot of people get very excited over them, but matched frame for frame with the earlier 1.5 sails, I have not noticed any significant difference.

Maybe I’m not a good enough Rev flier too be able to appreciate the subtleties, or maybe all the fuss about the B is just so much hot air.

Either way, I would think anyone who is good enough to be able to appreciate the subtleties is more than good enough to be able to cope with any perceived shortcomings of the older sail design.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Friend and supporter of Kiteworld

Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2008 9:00 am

Thanks again to you all
I will be ordering race rods as soon as i get back from hol's, and trying to find a set of 4 wrap.
I admit I'm surprised that I'm not being told that the B rev is the best thing since sliced bread, thanks for your honest opinions.

Rev Addict

Wed May 07, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm not being told that the B rev is the best thing since sliced bread

I bought a Standard and Vented B Ser just over a year ago based upon the wind speeds that I would get at the Dunstable Downs. They are far more versatile with the extra set of spars received with each kite.

My only addition to my small collection was to teabag my EXP. Oh and I still want some Race spars.
Jim

The Rock Ape

sailor99

Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

I think the B package is great mainly because of the extra frame set it comes with, although you don't tend to get the line set thrown into the package. BUT that would only apply if you didn't already have any other frames. The sail itself is not that different IMHO, and one would hardly pay all that extra spondoolip for a couple of lead weights.

Kitelife

Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 am

For those still getting a feel for the "subtleties"... The B drives more from the center of the kite, whereas the SLE and EXP sails load a bit closer to the verticals... Not waving a flag over either, I have my preferences, but it all comes down to taste, and primarily technique.

FYI, I never use the weights myself, nor does anyone on iQuad... They're for "play", consider them as really basic training wheels for axels and flic flacs.

As for low end performance, an SLE or B sail will do well with a Race Frame and lighter lines (I love 50# in anything under 3mph).

Again, I have to stress though... Technique is 90%, knowing how to load your sail consistently, and how to throw the weight of the kite around, utilizing the inertia you're generating.

I'll tout a B for obvious reasons, but you can't go wrong with just about any Rev... Although the B is packaged for value, no doubt, less $$ than buying a complete SLE and extra frame separately.

Also, it comes with the adjustable knot system already done... Can't tell you enough about what lengthening your top lines by 5"-7" will do... Feels odd at first, but the performance increase is noticeable once you understand how it actually works.

Hope to see a bunch of you at the Portsmouth clinic in August, will be great to make new friends and exchange flight tips! ;)
John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks Kitelife
I still haven't placed an order, just back from hol's today
But what I really want is a big beach with smooth winds to play on, had 2 great sessions on Black Rock Sands in north Wales and it was great fun, drive and park on beach bbq lunch and 2/3 hours flying in smooth wind, while my wife sat reading, it was heaven :D .
next job - win lottery tonight otherwise its back to work :-(

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat May 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks again all
I have ordered and received 'race' rod set and 4 wrap set from 'kites at kiteworld' , brilliant service and price, less than 24 hours from phone call to delivery :-)
also ordered a std B sail which is to follow :-)

fungus :D