Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Infinitive
Topic Author

Hi I'm new.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

I've been flying revs a lot recently, they're smashing.

Just wondering - I find flying horizontally (LE parallel to the ground) much more stable when inverted. I'm rocking a lovely flat groundpass with the LE a whisper off the ground, but when the "right" way up I find the kite wobbles easily. Why is this?

And are there any tips to doing a circle backwards? Starting from the bottom (in a vertical position), I have trouble getting past a third of the way round.

Cheers.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 am

Al
- I guess it' connected with the sail shape and the effect of the leading edge frame. When flying inverted you lead the kite with the brake line by pulling the bottom of the triangle towards you. This way up the two sides of the sail can work independently more or less. Pull the brake lines back in your right hand and the kite will move to the left and vice versa to move to the right. The panel the you are not pulling back pretty much stays at the same angle of presentation to the wind. But when the kite is "right way up" and you start a horizontal side slide to the left you have to work on pulling back both the top and brake line in your left hand together. Because of the solid leading edge this changes how the other side of the kite is meeting the wind and so you then need to attend to your right hand lines as well.
Not sure this makes any sense! It's very hard to describe without having a kite in the sky to relate to.

-Circle backwards. Just about the hardest direction to fly!
Make sure that you're thinking about reversing your hand positions as you fly around the circle. So starting off at the bottom (kite vertical, leading edge facing right, intending to fly clockwise) you're top (left) hand will be pulled further back than your front (right) hand. Particularly so in lighter winds. Start the movement by drawing back your right hand leading with the brake line by forward pressure on the thumb. Match this as the kite moves by allowing your left hand to move forwards. As you get the kite past 3 - 9 o'clock and beyond your hand positions should be level and then reversed. Right hand now closer to you than left hand. This movement then reverses as you continue round the circle. Think of bicycle pedals.
It's the brake line that leads the movement through thumb pressure. The kite is led by what you're doing with the brake line connected to the outside wing of the kite. So right hand as you go clockwise and left hand when you go anti-clock. If you're right handed then clock may well "feel" easier.

Confused even more now? Hard to describe, hope it's of some help.
Last edited by David Ellison on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 pm

What he said^^^^^^^^ David top banana....

antman

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 am

im also new here just joined hello to you all
COME FLY THE WILDWOODS