Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

birdie
Topic Author

Help , which one ?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:47 pm

EXP or SLE ? Which of these would be best recommended for a novice. I don`t want to buy one and wish I had bought the other (or is that how it always is :? )

John

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:24 pm

I'd get the EXP. You can always frame it as an SLE later. Many people use EXP spars in competition as they are more forgiving. I'd say the EXP is easier to learn on ans is still a quality kite in it's own right and should not be considered a "budget" poor second cousin.
Jason.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:35 pm

That depends on what you want to do and how serious you are about this. If you are a duel-line flyer that just wants to dabble with quad-line or you just want a kite to stick in the back of the car for the occasional Sunday afternoon outing the exp is fine. If you want to take this thing seriously then the time will come when you will find the exp too restrictive.

The standard sle is actually one of a set of three kites and this time last year I would have recommended you bought the standard sle and then as and when necessary adding the sle vented (for higher wind) and an sul (Super UltraLight, for lighter conditions).

However, there is now a new option for the newbie who intends to take this seriously, the “B” series, slightly more expensive, per kite, than sle but with the advantage that you only need to buy two kites as each kite comes two interchangeable frames.
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Right the above post was the potted answer, now I will put a bit more meat on the bones, too much detail above would have only confused things.

The exp was the first Rev 1.5, (1.5 referring to the size of the kite). The exp is spared in ¼ inch carbon fibre tube.

Some time later Rev brought out an upmarket version the sle (Super Leading Edge) with a stiffer ½ inch leading edge a more complex sail pattern and I believe better quality sail material. As I said above it now comes in three versions each with different weight spars, Std, Vented and sul, though the sul by necessity only has a ¼ inch leading edge to keep the weight down. The problem with the sle is that most experienced pilots actually prefer the more flexible ¼ inch leading edge as it tends to absorb inertia better.

This is where the “B” series comes into it’s own. All “B” series kites come with the ¼ inch leading edges.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Friend and supporter of Kiteworld

Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:13 pm

I concurr, SLE sail, but not SLE spars.

I can tell the difference between an EXP and a "B" series and I only dabble in rev flying.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

pudsli

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 pm

hi birdie.
go for the sle or better still the vented 1.5 sle.
get rid of the dobber spars and put in p200.
if you just want to fly it now and then, go for the exp,or if you get really into the dark side, then the Barressi 1.5.
hope this helps.
all the best steve.

TeamTrejo

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:09 am

For a novice I'd recommend the EXP. If you really get hooked than your next step up is a B-series and your EXP becomes a beater you let other people try.

birdie
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated.
At the moment I am trying different options (messing) so will go for the EXP and take it from there.
Many thanks , John