Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

mnkby

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:45 am

Uh hi, I'm the Canadian who came up with the name and the intent wasn't to "ripoff" the word iPod... ;) It'd be similiar to me deciding to open a fracturedaxel.ca without dropping you a note to see how you felt about that.

Kite teams for years have used cute/clever name, word manipulations for names, that one happened to be one that occurred to me one day.
David Hathaway, Revolutionary
-~ http://www.iquad.ca

iAnW

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:31 am

Hi,

No disrespect was meant towards our American cousins by possibly calling these mass Rev gatherings here in the UK, “iQuad-UK”, in fact the opposite was our intention. If used it would only be in tribute and if eventually used would only be solely for Mass Rev flys here in the UK, there would not be a competing team using this name. :cool:
If there is going to be a problem with this please let me know, my original post was made on the MKF club forum and was really only directed at MKF members.
If you read this post it clearly states that we had only dubbed it "iQuad-UK" no final decision had been made as to the eventual name. My original post was put on this forum without my knowledge so I feel some of you may have jumped the gun over this and have blown it out of proportion. :-(
It would be nice if eventually iQuad could join us for one huge Rev Fly as a sign of the special relationship there is between the UK and the USA.
The whole thing is in the early stages over here anyway and there is no reason why it couldn't be called something else if there is going to be arguments about a name. All we are trying to do is promote Quad line kite flying; we could have called it Quad-UK or something else similar. I really feel that it would be unreasonable for any one group to make the use of the term "Quad" exclusive anyway.

Blue Skies........Clean Winds :-D

Ian Wilson
Midlands Kite Fliers
Heart of England Kite Fliers
Last edited by iAnW on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

iAnW

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 am

Update for all those interested, my original post on the MKF forum has now been updated, I hope this ends any possible arguments over the name. :P

Due to some complaints received from contibutors to the Fractured Axel forum (thanks John!!!!)
I have decided to rename the Mass Rev Team to WiiQUAD

WiiQUAD? The “Wii” for the group rather than “i” for the individual!!!

Lets face it there’s no “i” in “team” but there is a “W” now!! :lol:

Ian :D
:lol:

Blue Skies.....Clean Winds

Ian Wilson
Midlands Kite Fliers

Kitelife

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:38 am

Thanks for the thought Andy, but it's not a rip on anything.

Me, myself, IQuad... Do you feel me? ;)

This isn't about anything so trivial, it's just a request to acknowledge, respect, and to work together instead of mirroring an existing creation.

Again, especially after cooling off for the day... I'd like to think there was no intent to copy... Just an honest mistake, I'd love to have that affirmed.

Cheers.
John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine

Kitelife

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:42 am

Aha, I just caught your post Ian... Thank you for your sentiment, I understand and appreciate it... I'm fully behind your inherent motivation.

Indeed, I considered it honoring that you'd even considered using the name... And, I find myself smiling warmly at your use of the word cousins.

However, I would prefer you not use iQuad, and instead choose an original name that continues to represent your group's spirit... And I agree, "Quad" in and of itself is free game, shared by all of us.

Please accept my apologies for any rough tone which may have come across in my first post... We felt a little put off, not knowing for sure what the full story was... I truly do wish you the best in everything, and iQuad would love to share the field with you collectively, on our side of the pond or yours, anytime.

Fly on!
John Barresi

Editor/Publisher

Kitelife Magazine

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:21 am

Kitelife wrote:
...it's not a rip on anything.

Me, myself, IQuad...

So, if it's not a rip-off, why the lower case "i" in your "iQuad" team name, and not the upper case as quoted above? Merely curious....

Kitelife

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:26 am

Because it's iconic, visually... And we liked the way it looked in general.

We're just trying to do something fun with kites, with a nifty name.

Oh, and you might enjoy this... I know I do. <grin>

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/ktai07 ... G_4591.jpg

You can find the whole scoop here...

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/ktai07/1-25/index.htm
John Barresi

Editor/Publisher

Kitelife Magazine

mikesp

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:53 am

Me? I just fly kites and tend to leave the politics to those that want to be bothered…Call themselves what they like, it really doesn’t matter… =;

As I said, I'm not involved with this in anyway, and have no intention of getting involved... :angry:

Mike 8-)

iAnW

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:58 am

Hi John,

Thank goodness we're OK now, :oops: yes any time your over here or I'm in the States. :cool:
I do actually have cousins over there, I have family in Edenton, North Carolina I visit from time to time, great beaches there, the Outer Banks are perfect for kites. :D
Can't wait for my next visit, just have to save my pennies and try not to buy any more Rev's :lol:
Blue Skies......Clean Wind. :)

Ian Wilson
Midlands Kite Fliers
WiiQUAD
Wii for the group rather than i for the individual

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:10 am

Why does it have to be called anything ?

Kitelife

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:14 am

Please let us know when and if you come over, you never know how our schedules might line up. ;)

"Now performing in the center ring... iQuad and WiiQuad, oh, %$@&$ it, THEYquad... Applauso, por favor!"

We'll do a benefit show for multiple personality disorders or something. *chuckle*

And for all you hecklers, I was motivated to do a web search and found some more "rip-offs from iPod"...

http://www.iquad.co.uk/
http://www.iquadsolutions.com/
http://www.iquad.it/

And so on... Go ahead, have your fun. :P
John Barresi

Editor/Publisher

Kitelife Magazine

mnkby

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:52 pm

I loooooove WiiQuad!

Zippy8

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Play365 wrote:
Why does it have to be called anything ?

Hey ! HEY !!!! :evil:

There's already been The Team With No Name. Have you no respect for the illustrious history of kiting ?!?!? You'll be using other peoples' music next. [-X

And by "other peoples' music" obviously it's not their music... but they used it once and now consider it theirs.

How about.... The Blatant Band-Wagon Jumpers ?
Or tHe bLatent bAnd-wAgon jUmpers even.

Actually I'd like you to be called The Flaying Squid but that's just me.

Mike.

mnkby

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Actually, I have been beaten with MY music

(someone used a track from a CD I'd made to thrash me)

:monkey:

iAnW

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:21 pm

MikeSP has composed some music for us to fly to, so I'd be very supprised if anyone else has used this piece of music before. :P
I know Mike has been on here denying any connection (you fence sitter :P) but hopefully if we have enough Rev fliers we shall have the first outing of WiiQUAD on the 18th March, MKF & HEKF 4th Hatton Country World Kite Day, Hatton Country World, Dark Lane, Hatton, near Warwick, Warwickshire.
MikeSP has organised this event by himself for your benefit. 8-)
The show includes a STACK competition along with other spectacles, such as The Great Rev Race and The Fighter Kite Challenge the event has an overall bias towards Sport kites (twin & quad liners) for more info checkout www.kitecalendar.co.uk
Last edited by iAnW on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Skies......Clean Wind. :)

Ian Wilson

Midlands Kite Fliers

WiiQUAD

Wii for the group rather than i for the individual