Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

gol_n_dal
Topic Author

New 1.5 SLE

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:13 pm

I've just ordered a new 1.5 SLE (my first revolution).

Before I fly it should I make any changes ? It's coming as standard with Revolution lines.

Looking forwards to it as a "new enterprise", going to scare me silly..
Colin

NooB to the dark arts of Kite flying

HQ Floater, FlexiFoil Pulsar
CR Fury .85, R-Sky Opium
Flexifoil Super 10
Revolution 1.5 SLE

Browser

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Go for it mate! If it's anything like my Shockwave, frustration will probably be the order of the day as you try to figure out how the hell to get it to do what you want! Persevere though, it'll come good in the end 8)
Jeez, this wind's a bit gusteeeeeeeeeee!

nic

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:41 pm

2 biggest changes I found were:

Keep your hands close together

Make SMALL movements

But it wont take you long - took me a morning to learn to take off, crash, hover, crash, recover from the ground, crash a little less, slide, crash even less, keep it up in teh air til I wanted to land, land gently.

Oh and quiet whisper, the spars go behind the sail. Took me a while to realise I was assembling it wrong! :oops:
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Rev B Series
peter hall 8ft
stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft
tracer (yes I am that old!)
Gemini

Go Figure

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:56 pm

I have been flying Revs for years, only change required is to have some differnt weight spars, once you get good, for different conditions. I tried messing with the bridle but went back to standard. You might want to change the handles for longer ones or step on yours to make the bend less, but wait until you have a few hours.

For first flights watch the video/DVD several times then fly high (spars are expensive) until you get the hang of it. Try to avoid 2 line hand movements to start with, just rotate your wrists.

Enjoy

Clive
best regards

Clive

It's not me, its the tools....

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:28 am

Go Figure wrote:
You might want to change the handles for longer ones

There may not be any need, if Clive ras been flying revs for a rew years. Earlier this year Revolution had a rethink on handle length and Extended is now the new Standard.
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Bugly

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:50 am

You may want to muy 3 p200's as an alternate LE to the SLE- it will allow you to fly in lower winds more comfortably.

Dave Bleasdale

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 pm

Do many people use P200 spars for the leading edge on the 1.5 SLE do the end caps still fit or do you need to change them.

I have heard putting the EXP leading edge into the 1.5 improves flying in light wind. Which do people recommend EXP spares or P200's

Cheers,
Dave.

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:12 pm

EXP's, feel a little more solid than P200, i much prefer flying these now in most winds apart from light wind (Pro use only, then)...or the Rev Equiped (ie the small diameter ones).....but having flown most of the year with EXP's, i think they will become the backbone of most of my flying, tried so many variations over the years, EXP's have a certain "feel"......i like!!!

Bugly

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:28 pm

The P200 indeed any of the p series will fit inside the end caps so no changes are required.

Morticiaskeeper

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:10 am

I use P200 or Avia X1 for my L/E, but I'm going to buy an SLE L/E for anything but light wind.

It just gives mor accuracy, and isn't much more costly than Avia these days
Handler of Morticia

Airheads demo team '09

gol_n_dal
Topic Author

SLE 1.5 just arrived.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:06 am

The SLE 1.5 has now arrived, I'll fly it tomorrow wind and wife permitting.

A couple of queries:

o The Owners Manual is for a Revolution I (dated 1992) am I OK in assuming that it's fairly similar ? However, it mentions that the left/right LE spars and the two spreaders are identical but clearly they're not as they're physically different.

o The handles are curved and I'd guess about 12"-14" long, are these the new or old ones that folks were referring to ?

o The lines they sent through look like 85-foot ones (so it says on the hand written lable on the winder), can't see what poundage thay are, guessing 75kg. Any changes required or start with these ?

o Lastly, Some one mentioned getting some p200 LE spars for lower wind, do I just get some and cut them to the right length or do I need some jiggery pokery also.

Cheers
Colin

NooB to the dark arts of Kite flying

HQ Floater, FlexiFoil Pulsar
CR Fury .85, R-Sky Opium
Flexifoil Super 10
Revolution 1.5 SLE

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: SLE 1.5 just arrived.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:22 pm

gol_n_dal wrote:
o The Owners Manual is for a Revolution I (dated 1992) am I OK in assuming that it's fairly similar ? However, it mentions that the left/right LE spars and the two spreaders are identical but clearly they're not as they're physically different

I think that’s due to Revolution cost cutting they use one manual or instruction DVD to cover more than one kite.
On an EXP the spars are Identical but the SLE leading edge is thicker I shouldn’t think you will get them mixed up. :)

o The handles are curved and I'd guess about 12"-14" long, are these the new or old ones that folks were referring to ?

Depends how you are measuring, sounds like you are quoting a “pre bend” tube measurement the new standard/old extended measure 11.25” D ring to D ring (post bend).

o The lines they sent through look like 85-foot ones (so it says on the hand written lable on the winder), can't see what poundage thay are, guessing 75kg. Any changes required or start with these ?

I think all mine (sul, std & vented) came with 90lb.

o Lastly, Some one mentioned getting some p200 LE spars for lower wind, do I just get some and cut them to the right length or do I need some jiggery pokery also.

Pass on that one.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Tony S

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:41 pm

You might want to get lighter weight lines at some point. I can't remember the last time I used anything but 50lb climax stuff including vented 1.5 and rev 1's in stupid wind. They might sing a bit, but I haven't had a breakage. You do get a more "connected" feel flying with light weight line - less delay, and less visible bow in the lines.

Tony

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: SLE 1.5 just arrived.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Me wrote:
I think that’s due to Revolution cost cutting they use one manual or instruction DVD to cover more than one kite.
On an EXP the spars are Identical but the SLE leading edge is thicker I shouldn’t think you will get them mixed up. Smile

I've just checked, mine are all Rev 1 manuals.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:31 pm

Get 3 P200 spars then ferrule one of them internally with 6mm carbon (solid wouldn't be a bad idea, like on the SLE leading edge) Hey presto, a new LE.
Jason.