Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Bobthekite
Topic Author

Improving A Rev EXP

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 pm

Is it worth changing the spars on an EXP for somthing better to improve the kite and ifso what would be the best thing to use?
also has anyone flown the new Didakite Quad line kite (with the odd name begining with H) and what are they like
Thanks
Bob
My Other Kites A Fury

BF

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:13 pm

I briefly flew Didakites Hakuna in an absolute howling gale at Ostend and enjoyed it. In that wind it could do flic flacs and all sorts of manic manœuvres. I'd certainly try it again, but ideally with a little less wind.

As for changing the spars in an EXP I personally don't have any issues with the ones it comes with. There are flyers who use lighter spars to help fly in lower winds conditions. Quite often I put the EXP spars in the vented Rev instead of the SLE spars, but that's a different story...

Brian

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:19 am

EXP is Revolutions 3-ply rod. Very similar to their branded "Ultralight" spar (also 3-ply) but not quite as stiff. I would buy UL rods wherever possible. SLE rods are 3-ply too, but the greater diameter makes them a lot stiffer.

SLE makes the REV leading edge very stiff and the kite very "pointy" in a normal wind. I would only use SLE rods in a howling gale.

Revolution Professional rods are 2-ply, and for winds where a kite with UL rods is too heavy.

GTR uses Skyshark I think. Gary?
:D
Andy

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:00 pm

Yes Andy, i use 3P, P300, p400...but i have recently got hold of the EXP spars and put them in the SLE, seem to work really well..haven't tried them in high wind yet, but as you say Andy the rods that come with the Standard SLE are far to stiff...i like the flex that the EXPs give you...just keep experimenting with differing rods, until you get that balance.

GTR
Last edited by Gary Matthews on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobthekite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks guys I think I will replace my broken spar with EXP spars and not try upgrading them then
Bob
My Other Kites A Fury