Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Self-adjusting Rev bridle

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:47 pm

I just took my Rev out for it's first 2012 go.
(yes, okay, I'm a warm weather flyer! Plus, I got diverted away from kiting, temporarily, by [a] a Caribbean cruise and [b] a new hobby. I've now actually spent more on astronomical telescope bits & pieces than I have on kites!)

It was a good session, although control was a bit funny, and after a few minutes flying I did notice that the bridle wasn't the same on the left as on the right! The difference was considerable - over 5cm on one of the elements. It beats me how on earth the knots managed to travel so far during the three months they were hidden away in my utility room!

Has anyone got the spec for the standard 1.5 SLE bridle, please?
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

Jezza

Re: Self-adjusting Rev bridle

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Do you know what part of the bridle has changed length? I suspect it might be the knot between the horizontal piece of the bridle and one of the verticals? if they go slack they can move but are very easy to reset. I cant see any other knots moving unless something has come loose on an endcap but it would be helpful to know the section.

The best thing would be to assemble the kite and measure the vertical parts in sections from knot to knot.
Clearly, I'm part of the problem.

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I did what you said, Jezza, and the Rev is now set up in my living room, sprawled all over the L-shaped sofa and covering the coffee table too.
I can't understand it.
Everything's perfect now! All symmetrical and lovely!
I can only assume I was in such a hurry on Sunday to get the Rev aloft, that I got some of the bridle lines twisted when I assembled it.
Rev bridle lines don't seem to be fixed as positively as dual-line kite bridles. It's easy to put the end-caps on the vertical struts the wrong way, and because the bridle is fixed to those end-caps it can make quite a difference to the way the bridle ends up.

Sorry for the false alarm.
But on the other hand, maybe it's a worthwhile warning to any (other) newbie Rev flyers to pay special attention to how the bridle lies when they're setting up.

Jezza

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 am

Glad you got it sorted, I did think it was a bit strange for it to go out of shape. Like you say it probably got twisted somewhere and didnt notice. Happy flying anyways :)
Clearly, I'm part of the problem.

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 pm

I took it out again last weekend. It flew perfectly!

Oh, btw, I took hints from various posts placed here a while back. Mainly, I now keep my lines on two separate winders and I set them out a pair at a time. Makes setting up much easier, and it creates less of a mess in my kit bag when I stow the lines away.