Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

bunman
Topic Author

A humbling experience

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 pm

I took delivery of my new Rev B2 last week, had a quick look through the instructions and the skills sheet, then tossed it aside with a 'HAH!! who needs this!!

I'm 38 and have flown kites since I was a small child... I can fly anything!! Or so I thought!! The only other 4 line kite I've flown was my old Blade III 4.9, so I thought flying the Rev would be pretty similar. I mean, it's got 4 lines too. After days of looking forlornly out of the window at a wind free scene, I finally got my chance earlier today. Got to the field, got everything set up, gave the lines a pull... up, swirl round, bang! Set it back up, up swirl the other way, bang. OMG! I suck ass bigtime!! I wanted to do slides and dive stops, I couldn't even get it to stay in the air for more than 5 seconds. I'm blaming my years of flying dual lines, I knew I wasn't meant to pull the handles the same way I'd fly a dual line, but I couldn't help it. As soon as the kite would head for the ground, I'd be hauling on the opposite handle trying to get it to turn. I gave up, packed up and blamed the wind! :(

Thankfully though, I went for another go a few hours later. I remembered watching a video of 'Joe' teaching some French girl to fly a Rev. He kept showing her how to hold the handles loosely. I tried it and it flew straight up. Then I cracked using the brake lines to turn. I was so chuffed :biggrin: it was like 'EUREKA'. So now at least I can keep it in the air and fly it about a bit without smacking it into the ground every few minutes.

I love this kite. To a certain extent, it's like learning to fly all over again, but now I have the basics, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm off to look through that skills booklet again and watch all the tutorial videos again.

The Rev will have to stay tucked up though, stormy weather coming our way... Time for the Super 10 :lol:
Kite Bag:
Benson Deep Space (custom)
Revolution John Barresi B2
Flexifoil Super10
Ollie Octopus (for the kids... honest!)
Wanted - Mettoy Barnstormer

border tim

Re: A humbling experience

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 pm

ha ha love this, similar story to mine , i have the revs ,but bought a cheapie chinese 4 line to smash while learning ,after about half hour thought i would brave the rev ,seemed to be unable to control it ,but had run out of time so packed up . as i was winding in the chinese quad lines (that i tried to use on the rev to save time ,realised they had stretched ,well the top lines had ,by about 3 inches ....that will be the problem then ! ,note to myself .only use the rev lines in future mmmmm.