Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: A new masterpiece

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 am

Zippy8 wrote:
I am ballparking it at around £350 then.

From memory the EXP was a budget REV 1.5 at just under 150 so I'm sure the Rev I has always been GBP200+ even in 1998 hasn't it? Like Bryan says though the price is immaterial, like buying something in a kite auction I suppose. I'm sure people can confidently buy one of these sold as part of a "Limited Edition" despite the shameful practice of others in the past with their mis-understanding of what Limited-Edition means.
Jason.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 am

Jason wrote:
From memory the EXP was a budget REV 1.5 at just under 150 so I'm sure the Rev I has always been GBP200+ even in 1998 hasn't it?

Looking at my online shrine o' stuff.... in September 1996 The Kite Store would have sold you a genuine, accept no substitutes Rev 1 for £170, rising to just over £190 if you wanted to "Go Fabulous" (ie; rainbow version). Oddly this is exactly the same price for the Rev 1 as in November 1989, so that's another thing they never bothered to change with the Rev :-P

Like Bryan says though the price is immaterial....

Hmmmm. :-k At least for me there definitely comes A Line where the fog clears and I just exclaim "how much ?!?!?!". I don't mind at all spending sizeable sums of lovely things that I'll play with but... how many of the preceding Masterpieces get regular airings ? A lot of money for a bag stuffer that is just used to impress like-minded souls.

I like the look of the thing, I like the idea of the thing but I've got zero intention of buying one.

EDIT:- I had a bit of a trawl and stumbled upon this nugget, "Masterpiece kites normally start at pricing well over $650.00 and some of the more limited editions have retailed at $1200.00 or more!". Would you pardon me while I laugh uproariously for a moment. Actually, I might need considerably more than a moment.

Mike.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Jason wrote:
From memory the EXP was a budget REV 1.5 at just under 150 so I'm sure the Rev I has always been GBP200+ even in 1998 hasn't it?

Looking at my online shrine o' stuff.... in September 1996 The Kite Store would have sold you a genuine, accept no substitutes Rev 1 for £170, rising to just over £190 if you wanted to "Go Fabulous" (ie; rainbow version). Oddly this is exactly the same price for the Rev 1 as in November 1989, so that's another thing they never bothered to change with the Rev :-P

Like Bryan says though the price is immaterial....

Hmmmm. :-k At least for me there definitely comes A Line where the fog clears and I just exclaim "how much ?!?!?!". I don't mind at all spending sizeable sums of lovely things that I'll play with but... how many of the preceding Masterpieces get regular airings ? A lot of money for a bag stuffer that is just used to impress like-minded souls.

I like the look of the thing, I like the idea of the thing but I've got zero intention of buying one.

EDIT:- I had a bit of a trawl and stumbled upon this nugget, "Masterpiece kites normally start at pricing well over $650.00 and some of the more limited editions have retailed at $1200.00 or more!". Would you pardon me while I laugh uproariously for a moment. Actually, I might need considerably more than a moment.

Mike.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... you play hard to get .. but if Carl were to slap some applique on it ... you'd "be" all over it wouldn't ya.

-Frazer

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:11 am

fworley wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... you play hard to get .. but if Carl were to slap some applique on it ... you'd "be" all over it wouldn't ya.

And cut two of the lines off before I showed even the most remote of interest. :biggrin:

Mike.

hezz

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 am

Maybe Carl should have made one of the designs "fractal" (or perhaps "fractal-like")... :P

I can't believe anyone would buy a "masterpiece" just to hang it on the wall or look at in their kite bag and think "Ain't that pretty". And yes, some of the prices for "special" / one offs / "masterpieces" are crazy, but then so are some of the prices that things go for in festival auctions...
No one's forcing anyone to buy a kite at this price.
Buy an Albatross if you want to save the money.. or just don't buy a W shaped kite at all if that's your preference.. :-D

I know this new addition to my bag will definitely be flown and enjoyed. I still have my Rev I from 1998 so that's a pretty good "return on investment". Hell, I haven't bought a new kite for at least four years - kite flying is still a "cheap" pastime - you can spend as little or as much on it as you want!

Personally I am happy to support an excellent UK kite maker and decent hard working guy, and I look forward to getting my new toy... 8-)

Hezz

sailor99

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:06 pm

hezz wrote:
Maybe Carl should have made one of the designs "fractal" (or perhaps "fractal-like")... :P

I can't believe anyone would buy a "masterpiece" just to hang it on the wall or look at in their kite bag and think "Ain't that pretty". And yes, some of the prices for "special" / one offs / "masterpieces" are crazy, but then so are some of the prices that things go for in festival auctions...
No one's forcing anyone to buy a kite at this price.
Buy an Albatross if you want to save the money.. or just don't buy a W shaped kite at all if that's your preference.. :-D

I know this new addition to my bag will definitely be flown and enjoyed. I still have my Rev I from 1998 so that's a pretty good "return on investment". Hell, I haven't bought a new kite for at least four years - kite flying is still a "cheap" pastime - you can spend as little or as much on it as you want!

Personally I am happy to support an excellent UK kite maker and decent hard working guy, and I look forward to getting my new toy... 8-)

Hezz
+1

We're all individuals ("I'm not" from the back of the crowd) and I wouldn't want this one personally. However, given the WSK thread is all about people's personal freedom to buy what they like so long as it is legal/ethical, then that principle has to extend to Carl's kite. Glad you won't be hanging it on the wall Hezz!

mnkby

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:17 pm

hezz wrote:

Without exception, any masterpiece/custom I own has seen significant amounts of flying time and in some cases, damage :D

it's a kite. It's meant to be flown.

I'll fly one of Carl's creations at WSIKF and then make my mind up.
David Hathaway, Revolutionary
-~ http://www.iquad.ca

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 pm

hezz wrote:

I have a vast array of rude words at my disposal. Don't make me use them =;

I can't believe anyone would buy a "masterpiece" just to hang it on the wall or look at in their kite bag and think "Ain't that pretty".

Weird thing to say to you but... you should get out more :) There are plenty of collectors who enjoy ownership in a completely different way to what you or I might think of as The Point of a kite.

or just don't buy a W shaped kite at all if that's your preference.. :-D

Bingo ! :P

Let him do the same thing in association with, fr'instance, Airdynamics or Benson and I'll almost certainly join you in the retail experience.

Mike.

Old Greebo

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Would a sheep farmer spend £300 on a high grade, Welsh Border Collie pup, then just sit the darn thing on his lap?
(Sigh! No, probably not. But I can just picture the sort of lady who might ...)
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

pudsli

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

HI All.
is carl making these revs himself and sending them to the rev factory , or are they being made in the rev factory in the U.S.A.
all the best steve.

mnkby

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Carl makes the sail, then it heads off to Rev for bridling, framing, misc details.
David Hathaway, Revolutionary
-~ http://www.iquad.ca

pudsli

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi.
they should be good quality, unless it all goes pear at the U.S.A end.
all the best steve.

Lex B

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Seen One at the Scheveningen kite festival in Holland {The Hague}

It Looks a lot sharper than the standard ones, and seems to fly realy nice.
But then, that's what it is meant to ;-)
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Lex B wrote:
Seen One at the Scheveningen kite festival in Holland {The Hague}

It Looks a lot sharper than the standard ones, and seems to fly realy nice.
But then, that's what it is meant to ;-)

You were here? Where, why didn't you say hello?
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 pm

<Waves from the hotel at the end of the beach>
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee