Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

cstubbs05
Topic Author

revolution exp line help

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:31 am

hi I bought a revelution EXP recently and it came with 65ft lines I see that alot of people fly solo with 80ft lines. As I am new to flying a rev would it be worth getting some 80ft lines for fly solo would they make it a little easier to learn with
Thanks for any help
cliff

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Exult

Re: revolution exp line help

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:56 am

The difference is so small so I’d guess that there is no immediate need. When starting out with quads I had a 25m line set and a 15m line set. Had a couple (~5-10?) sessions on the 25m, before going on two week vacation to a place (in Devon btw) where the beach only permitted the 15m lines. I also point to my previous answer to the beginner line length question ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13837#p138526 ). That being said, on a longer timescale you should get both longer and shorter lines (~3.5m – 40m) to be an as complete quad line pilot as possible and get a possibility to learn from a slightly different feedback. If pursuing with quads you should get various vented quads, possibly an indoor one, vary the LE stiffness by different spars, try non Rev-like (Hadzick-wings) quads…

A cheap way to progress and open up to frequent practising close to home (dependant on your area of course) is to make a short line set like 10m or so to make use of small fields/empty parkings. Extra cheap if you have an old broken dual line set around somewhere. OK during the phase when the unplanned landings are frequent you might want to stay on the 65ft lines, but on the other hand the walk of contemplation gets shorter with shorter lines. You can quickly launch again with short lines. While at it, my advice is not to wait very long going short lines just because it feels comfortable with longer lines. In general being comfortable with and learning something new is not the same thing. Polishing and building a firm base is something different but not any lesser. Go short line when (or just before) ready for it and kite “everywhere” and don’t care what any neighbours would think! My short line and my no wind kiting development got delayed by such considerations.

But currently, during your first sessions there is so much new to learn, so first get acquainted with the procedure and equipment. To increase the number of available sessions get a vented quad (apart from “For Sale & Wanted” in Fractured Axel you could try the “Börse” of Drachenforum). No more frequent crashes?– get short lines also.

711jrp

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:12 am

I think line length is much less inportant in quad line rather than dual for learning purposes mainly because the quads have total speed control so a bigger window is much lees of an advantage.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

cstubbs05
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Exult wrote:
The difference is so small so I’d guess that there is no immediate need. When starting out with quads I had a 25m line set and a 15m line set. Had a couple (~5-10?) sessions on the 25m, before going on two week vacation to a place (in Devon btw) where the beach only permitted the 15m lines. I also point to my previous answer to the beginner line length question ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13837#p138526 ). That being said, on a longer timescale you should get both longer and shorter lines (~3.5m – 40m) to be an as complete quad line pilot as possible and get a possibility to learn from a slightly different feedback. If pursuing with quads you should get various vented quads, possibly an indoor one, vary the LE stiffness by different spars, try non Rev-like (Hadzick-wings) quads…

A cheap way to progress and open up to frequent practising close to home (dependant on your area of course) is to make a short line set like 10m or so to make use of small fields/empty parkings. Extra cheap if you have an old broken dual line set around somewhere. OK during the phase when the unplanned landings are frequent you might want to stay on the 65ft lines, but on the other hand the walk of contemplation gets shorter with shorter lines. You can quickly launch again with short lines. While at it, my advice is not to wait very long going short lines just because it feels comfortable with longer lines. In general being comfortable with and learning something new is not the same thing. Polishing and building a firm base is something different but not any lesser. Go short line when (or just before) ready for it and kite “everywhere” and don’t care what any neighbours would think! My short line and my no wind kiting development got delayed by such considerations.

But currently, during your first sessions there is so much new to learn, so first get acquainted with the procedure and equipment. To increase the number of available sessions get a vented quad (apart from “For Sale & Wanted” in Fractured Axel you could try the “Börse” of Drachenforum). No more frequent crashes?– get short lines also.
hi thank you for your replys I think by the sound of things I have already bought a set of 120ft lines as they where cheap I have a set of 65ft that came with the exp so I prob go grab the 80ft and then split the 65ft to prob 40ft and 25ft then I will have a good selection of lines to be able to fly most places.
and I will keep my eyes out for a vented res or similar
Thanks for replys
Cliff

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk