Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

pink
Topic Author

Hobbit

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm

is there any Tolkien lovers, im just after watching Hobbit and im really dissapointed is this only me????
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Hobbit

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Never been a Tolkien lover, will not see the film or it's follow ups, never seen the Lord of the Rings either, frankly couldn't give a stuff about any of them. Looks like self indulgent twaddle to me!

However on a kite forum I figure that I'm probably in a minority :)

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Im with you on this one Pink. I love Tolkien although I often question his sanity. I read the "lord of the rings" many moons ago and thought that Jacksons interpretation was stunning.I am looking forward to seeing the Hobbit but I am dissapointed that Jackson is dragging it out over three films when Tolkien put it all in one book. However I will reserve my thoughts and give him the benifit of the doubt until I see what he has put together.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

pink
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm

yes, and the one is in cinemas now is just nearly 3hours of introduction to the story packed with special effects, great spirit of the book is totally missing.
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L

RoyReed

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Craig wrote:
Never been a Tolkien lover, will not see the film or it's follow ups, never seen the Lord of the Rings either, frankly couldn't give a stuff about any of them. Looks like self indulgent twaddle to me!

Then it's a minority of two!
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Craig wrote:

But it there were unicorns in there - you'd be all over it right ?

-Frazer ;)

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 am

RoyReed wrote:
Craig wrote:

Then it's a minority of two!

Make that three. Sorry, I just don't get it, never read the books either.
Jason.

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm

If you have neither read the books (at least attempted one) nor seen the films, it seems odd to even care.

The LOTR trilogy as books are arguably must reads in English literature. Certainly they represent a monumental achievement in fiction.

The films were darn good given the challenge represented by the books.

However, I have no doubt the three films will spread the Hobbit too thinly over too much bread. Unlike the three LOTR films, I might very well wait for this one to get a torrent.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Lex B

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Have seen part 1.

There is not so much "spreading out", but rather displaying events, that were told quite shortly in the book.
Tolkien left a lot of loose stories / storylines, and some of them are used in the movie.
ONE BIG MINUS, Jackson also seems to make things up.
I have done quite some tolkien reading, but never read anything about a necromancer.
It'll be a long sit [and wait] but 99% of the story is spot on.

And Hey; THERE'S KITES IN THE MOVIE !!!!!!!!
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

Flying Fish

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:55 pm

THERE'S KITES IN THE MOVIE

YES! Only briefly at the start, but I want that Smaug kite! Have posted here and there to find out if plans are or will become available (unlikely); otherwise I may have to build one myself one day (provided I can get a good few screencaps, as I saw the dragon kite too briefly to make it from memory).

As to the movie itself, I personally feel PJ is a genius. It's much more than 'just' the Hobbit; he weaves all kinds of stuff from the Appendices in, things which happened at that time but which are only fleetingly referred to in the book (or not at all). These three movies, together with the three LOTR movies, will make one hell of an epic sextology (new word?). Yes, he does make some changes and makes some things up, but a movie is a different medium than a book; I personally have no problem with that at all.

pink
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:24 pm

he is not a genius, before LOTR he havent done any realy good movie except Heavenly Creatures.

you can say genius about many directors but not about PJ, that is my opinion.
LOTR is good but with that story you must be a looser to not make good movie with that ammount of money and modern technology.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Both books are a great read, love the Hobbit especially. I always have reservations about the movie of the book. It is rare, for me, to enjoy the movie rather than the book. I am pretty ambivalent about the LOTR movie but it is very good book. I am with obi on the hobbit, stretching it three films will be a big ask. A triumph of accountancy over artistry.
Mike

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Lex B wrote:
THERE'S KITES IN THE MOVIE !!!!!!!!

Does anyone else know of any other films that feature kites in them?
Jason.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Jason wrote:
Lex B wrote:
THERE'S KITES IN THE MOVIE !!!!!!!!

Does anyone else know of any other films that feature kites in them?

Isn't there a kite in Waterworld?
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

pink
Topic Author

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

"the kite runner"