Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm

ITBVolks wrote:
And yes, I've been known to break a stick here and there. ;)

And everywhere if truth be known :lol:

-Frazer

Will S

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Regarding resemblances to the machine...

They are somewhat similar. They are both designed as slow, precise, heavily set competition kites that trick very well. I took about as much of my sail shape from the machine as I did the Nirvana, STX, spike, cosmic, or many other kites out there. I took what I liked from many different kites, thus there is a bit of everything in there as well as many of my own thoughts.

I just looked at many different pictures and the spec sheet for the machine and came up with a few obvious differences.
Look at the TE, huge differences there. Look at the positions of the spreaders, again large differences. Aspect ratio is also much different. My standoff location is much different and my standoffs are a whole 1.5" longer. Do you want any more differences?

Also look at flight. The saber yo-fades and crazy-copters fairly easily (At least so I have been told, I am no good at these on any kite) While Ron says that the machine is very difficult. The saber will cynique, and Ron has said that the machine will not.

I think these are far from the same kite, although I do see where you are drawing a resemblance :)

The sail layout was not done purposely. I spent a few hours sitting there drawing lines and erasing them, slowly getting something I liked. I am sure that subconsciously a bit of machine did get in there, but I never thought of it while making it. A few minor tweaks later, I did notice a bit of a resemblance, but I thought it looked really nice and thus haven't changed it (Yet, there are some possible changes in the works...)

BTW I would really love to see a morph of a saber and a machine like you all did the machine and the NRG... That is something I have been curious about for a while but haven't been able to figure out how to do :oops:

ITBVolks

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Not to worry Will. Just looks very similar... ;)

Like I said, it's a nice flying kite for sure. I've enjoyed it quite a lot.

Freestyler it's not but it's a nice precision TP tool for sure.

Oh and to you Frazer!!!!

I'll have it known, I have yet to break one here at work. :fingers: :P

Zippy8

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 am

Will S wrote:
I would really love to see a morph of a saber and a machine like you all did the machine and the NRG...

This is the best I could whip up with a pic. of the Saber.

I've got no comment on the design/build of the kites but visually the presence of the two centre panel diamonds and the two at the wingtips move it from coincidence to c'mon now.

It is of great credit to Ron that he hasn't asked you to modify this. With fists if necessary. It really is just a bit too close for comfort. If you want the Saber to be viewed as your kite and not always have to first answer the (obvious) is it a Machine copy ? question then a quick sail redesign might be to your advantage.

Mike.

MikeLos

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:57 pm

3-pop cascade?
prokite.ru

The only russian site about stunt kites