Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Zippy8
Topic Author

Literary review: The Joy of Kites

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:22 pm

I stumbled across this on my bi-monthly Amazon shopping spree. It popped up during a search for "kite" and was cheap so....

It's a very glossy, medium format hard-cover book of photography. It really does put into perspective some of the people out there that seem to think that a spendy digicam and a PhotoBucket account makes them photographers. They ain't; they are snappers and this bloke is a Photographer.

The book divides up into a few sections; historical and traditional kites to begin with, what looks to me like a Cervia promotional piece, Trépanier's kites flown over Tuscany, back to Cervia for a bit, then closing with a bit of a mixture. I think there's one pic. of duallies.

Despite the lovely pics. it's not an entirely lovable book. The prose is the kind of airy-fairy, "Pseuds' Corner" claptrap that The Artistic Community™ simply insist on spouting much to the annoyance of all right thinking people everywhere. Allow me to treasure you with an excerpt:-

"... to build a kite is to put art beyond the reach of stuffiness and heavy discourse... for a kite is the negation of academic attitudes, of a complacent culture. A kite offers no criticism. It just escapes. It is somewhere else entirely."

Well.... quite.

I do appreciate the index listing the kitemakers. For £11 it's a bargain. Just stick to looking at the pictures and don't read the text of, as the man himself puts it, "this poem in pictures." For some reason it has also been published as "Into the Wind: The Art of the Kite."

Mike.

dubster

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks for the review Mike, won't be rushing out to buy it for information sake, but it seems the photo's are pretty sweet.

That last one's a (bad) photoshop jobbie though, surely!
Jay.
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:49 pm

dubster wrote:
That last one's a (bad) photoshop jobbie though, surely!

I think not. The Trépaniers-over-Tuscany section look pretty genuine although I suspect that they were looking for The Shot™ rather than actually flying the kites as you or I might understand the term.

One for the coffee table.

Mike.

portley777

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Some powerful art-words indeed! When you pay big bucks for an art degree and they don't teach you skills anymore (because someone might get hurt or sued); they teach you how to papier-mâché’ a vacuous concept: well that's what they taught me at art college (Post-Modernism and all that). I'm still paying mine off (as I type~ tax time). At least when I fly my kites, "I'm somewhere else entirely...." :?
Thanks for sharing: nice pics!
Cheers,
Mike

p.s. in fact I just had to pay the equivalent of 5 x A-list kites for this year's instalment......ouch!