Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Cosmic TC 'Ghost'

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm

The SUL version...

There's been some critical acclaim for this series, and some outstanding video marketting to help boost things along. Coupled with the ready availability through your freindly neighbourhood kite trader and there's really no excuse for not getting one. 'Well now' I thought, 'that there STD hit the spot - I will (get one)'

Out of the bag, the absolute quality of craftsmanship is immediately apparent.

It's quite simply divine.

I mean right up there. All (most) of the fancy design aspects you would expect from a modern 'top-end' competition kite are there (including decent yo-yo stops ;-) ) and the whole thing is put together with the same apparent care and attention as say... a Benson, JoE or BMK. It would be pretty easy to whittle on for a while about how good this thing looks, but 'nuff said me-thinks.

The sticks are an amalgam of Avia Skinny SUL (That's Strong UL, not Super UL) and 5mm structil, and the sail material is by all accounts, some new fangled light weight (Verbinder?) stuff that only comes in white. Whatever it is, 'Gossamer' springs to mind.

OK, so this is an SUL Competition kite - what would I expect it to be able to do? and can it do it?

I'm a big fan of low / no wind flying generally - much more soothing and chilled than duelling against a gale. Any kind of drive is nice as a bonus and the soft, floaty stuff should really come built in - and in this case, it does.

The 'Ghost' holds a line in the merest suggestion of a breeze, cuts a really sharp corner and holds a curve without having to fight it. Then smooth, controlled inputs give up gorgeous flat spins and axels; Velvety Taz's and Slots; And, because it's a Cosmic - and hence turtle freindly - there's some really satisfying slow lazy rotations. Elegant.

That should be about it, it's an SUL, soft, floaty tricks - precise, accurate flight and that's job done. Hang on though, I'm always slightly nervous pushing the limits with Avia sticks (what with them being a bitch to get hold of), but let's just try a bit more...

I'll cut this short just a bit but with some smooth, solid controls, nothing agressive - just authoritive, this gives up pretty much everything the STD version does. Different, but equally as impressive freestyle, and still definately a 'go to' TP kite. Love it.

There's a snippet of video here which really needs expanding on, but you'll get the gist.

Bryan

Sub

Ghost

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Bryan, I assume you've flown the Ghost a few times or more since February. Is there anything else you can add to your review?
Have you broken any Avia Skinny SUL yet? if you did what would you replace them with?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Ghost

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Sub wrote:
Have you broken any Avia Skinny SUL yet? if you did what would you replace them with?

Why would you want to replace them with anything else?

Sub

Re: Cosmic TC 'Ghost'

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:45 pm

I asked cos Bryan said the following;
bryan beasley wrote:
...I'm always slightly nervous pushing the limits with Avia sticks (what with them being a bitch to get hold of)...

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Craig wrote:
Sub wrote:

Availability? relative price?
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 am

Vee wrote:
Craig wrote:
Sub wrote:

Availability? relative price?

In case you missed it :D

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Just caught up on this...

... Nothing to add Emil, 'tis still a sublime SUL, and no breakages thus far. Not entirely sure what I'd use to replace the Avia if I had to, 2pt probably but our 'Kite Pusher' is just so damned efficient it wont be an issue. ;-)

Bryan

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Craig wrote:
In case you missed it :D

About 2 years too late for me, when I was paying upto £20 a stick!
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Sub

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:11 am

How would I choose between the Ghost or CTC UL?
Just some basic things to consider.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Ermmmm... don't, get both. ;-)

Bryan

ITBVolks

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Agreed...

I'd recommend the Ghost and the Std to cover your needs.

Aeri

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:07 pm

does it fly decently indoors?
Old school was a great school

ObijuanKenobe

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I have seen video of the Kitehouse guys flying the UL indoors! I guess that means the Ghost has a chance as well. Not sure where to find the video of hand, but if you go to their website, it shouldn't be hard to find.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

turbo23

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:46 pm

I just received my Ghost Wednesday and thought I would share my thoughts, especially since Im quite a new flyer. Ive had a chance to fly about 15 different kites over the past 4 months. Each has their own feel...you already know what Im talking about. My everyday kite is nothing special, just a new tech french connection II that I reframed. But it takes alot of banging to get the moves done.

Going from the FC to the Ghost was a complete change in style. As Brian said above, the kite will hold a line, cuts corners sharp but solid, is just effortless to control. The tricks as just slow and solid when done correctly. I think this is where my inexperience comes in since Im still working on getting the kite to fade correctly each time, the touch is just completely different.

I really am I in love with its first 3 hour light today. I do have a question on bridle settings. I did some messing with the settings today when the wind became low, but when the wind died it was difficult to keep her up without having to engage in a jog.. Any recommendations on settings? I did not mess with the center T bridle.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Don't mess with the bridle, I know it has lots of options, but don't bother. Light wind flying is all about touch, technique and practice.