Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

jo
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:27 pm

Mr Wardley I think you are putting too much thought into it :shock: :lol:

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:02 pm

Ok, so I sent 2 big bangs and a big bang pro prototype.

It would be nice if you guys liked it, but more importantly for me, I like it, and it allows me to do tricks I had trouble with on other kites.

I've been going to our factory about 3 times a year now since we began it 4 years ago. Many improvements in quality have been done with the sport kites and suggestions for our single line along the way, so much so, that NTK Factoy offered me a new job and I took it, so I went from subcontractor designer, to Production and R&D factory manager.

One of the best parts of this new job is that I am responsible for all NTK qualtiy. I cant do everything, there are limitations of course, but i believe we are making positive progress.

About the issues raised with the spars and fittings. We use the same we used in the seduction, Skyshark P-200's and APA. So I am not sure what that problem was. I am not a huge fan of APAs, but I am a huge fan of Skyshark and both are very accepted and popular materials. I have not experienced those issues raised. APAs get cut. But the gliders have pretty much eliminated that problem.

The weight system consists of 3 10 gram milled weights exclusively made for the skyshark rod. They are held in place with rubber retaining rings which allow the user to simply slide them from the keel up to the just below the Center T for adjusting kite balance.

I have found that my favorite position is to use all 3, slid up to just below the center T for winds under 10mph. Over that, instead of adjusting my version of andy's active bridle, simply begin sliding them down.

Some, god forbid, are not big fans of that bridle. I am. But its simple to replace it with a turbo or straight bridle if thats your thing.

The yo yo stoppers are in the correct position, and they seem to catch almost everytime in a roll up. Precision in the rolled up configuration is there, and for me anyway, it flies around fine rolled up except for some stress on the trailing edge. There is no Cheat line. But there is a leech line in with dacron reinforements in the trailing edge and so far, there has been no wear and tear there.

The comete is possible on this non french style sport kite. I am getting better with it each time I go out and fly, not that I fly sport kites alot right now, but the few times a month I do get out, I am becomming more comfortable and more in tune with this kite. It just takes some bonding with the kite, time.

As with all of our new Tech kites, we have now switched to Jako style standoff fittings and have done away with the cheap clips we had used before. After this year, you will see no more of those nasty little things.

But, the first 2 shipments of Big Bangs did not have the standoff retaining rings glued along with the lower gliders and even LE connector retaining rings.

No directions either. And it needs them and will have them because this kite is designed to be fully adjustable, even the center T position, the LE connector positions for slightly changing the aspect ratio etc pitch angles, how it goes into turtles, etc, and all of this is also affected by the weights...

I have already written them and they will be with the next production run.

To clear my head, Ive been kitesurfing alot, and will go once more before I return to the factory for the month of September to oversee all NTK production. In China, I live near the beach and its my beach! I spend a lot of time there, and now, I have kite surfing friends to play with so I will be doing alot of that there this next time.

The 3rd production run of the Big Bangs will be done, the first of the Techno, and hopefully, the Techno Pro too..... oh yeah, and all of the single line kites and our new line of foils, Ballisitics....

Maybe soon there will be a review on the big bang and pro version (only diff is the pro is in polyester) and I just hope that you guys like it.

The other concern is price and availabilty in the UK.
I am working on that one.

I really miss my Flight Schools in the UK, it is where i started. Next year marks the 10 th anniversary of my Flight school tour (this year was the 10th anniversary of my training videos), and once this production stuff is together, I want to celebrate with a 10th year celebration tour, starting in the UK. Our distributor is not from BATH, but that is where my first oneI would like to start planning now if anyone is interested.
hope to come hang out with alot of you soon.

Sincerly
Dodd

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:12 pm

I just, uh, have my doubts about anyone ever receiving one of these 'review' kites.

your wish aint come true by the sound of it.

Hope you make sure the thread originator has a chance to fly it ;)

This (kite) might make an interesting change to listening how great our french friends are :P

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:49 pm

SteveR wrote:
This (kite) might make an interesting change to listening how great our french friends are :P

"interesting" will be the right word :shock:

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:39 pm

"Oh wow dudes, nice 风筝man" sort of interesting....:)

Phillip

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:58 pm

I don't suppose somebody could organise a sort of group review fly in? I thought recently that it might be fun to get together sometime (when there is plenty of time) and set up a load of new kites. Set it up sort of like speed dating, you all fly one for a while and then switch. That way you get to compare a number of kites directly with each other in quick succession.

I know it's not the same as living with a kite for a while to get used to it's quirks but it might be fun!

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:07 pm

Set it up sort of like speed dating, you all fly one for a while and then switch. That way you get to compare a number of kites directly with each other in quick succession.

I know it's not the same as living with a kite for a while to get used to it's quirks but it might be fun!

Can we do this with our partners too?

jo
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:17 pm

Well hopefully the recipient will give us all an informed review :cool:

Eddie Green

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:24 pm

I have flown the standard Big Bang a little.

jo
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:31 pm

Was that a review Ed?

Eddie Green

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:37 pm

Yes

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:53 pm

How charitable.

Eddie Green

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:58 pm

I am like that.

What do you want me to say?

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:02 am

the TRUTH, or alternatively something nice and "sunday morning".

Better still on sunday morning tell us just how shite it is if thats what you think, else tell us to get on our knees and face the west coast. You usually do, and thats why I value your opinion.

Eddie Green

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:14 am

Fine send me to coventry.