Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

I said I probably wouldn't but............

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:56 pm

I did anyway.

I am now the owner of a purple Fury, I'm not sure why I got one really, maybe as I've spent a fair amount of money on French kites over the past couple of years, I thought maybe I should fly what I would consider to be the most important 2 line kite to come out of the UK since the Gemini.

Anyway I took it out for a quick spin this afternoon, the wind was too high to get a proper idea of how it will perform, but it certainly likes straight lines, that's for sure, I wont say much more about how it fly's as I don't think it would be fair, however what I will say that this kite seems very capable and can Comete as easy as any kite I've flown !

A few things about the kite itself, whilst generally the build quality is top notch and the framing bullet proof, I do have a couple or three personal niggles, first off I want Yoyo stops, whilst I realise not everyone are doing Yo-yo tricks, this is a kite capable of doing them therefore I want them, I know it has a Yo-yo line on the end of very long bridle leaders, but in my opinion this is not good enough (sorry Mobius ) apart from the fact that it allows you to do only one Yo-yo, all this extra bridle line along with the Yo-yo line just gets you all tangled up.

Next, the TE has no extra protection apart from where the stand-offs attach, why not use some extra rip-stop or dacron on the TE like R-Sky and CdC use. There is a trick line that you can fit to protect it, but I don't want no trick line, it ruins the look of the kite.

Lastly the nocks are kept in place with electrical tape, I'm sorry but this ain't good enough, even the cheapest mass market kites have nocks that fit, or why not put a slither of tape on the spar instead (to pack it out).

As I say these are personal niggles and can be put right but why should I have to on a kite that costs £185 !

A couple of things I like about the Fury are the adjustable leech line, which works very well and the covered LE fittings again a very nice touch.

More will follow on how it flys.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:07 pm

Craig, am eagerly awaiting a hype free review which is what I'm sure you will do

Eddie Green

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:22 pm

SteveR wrote:
Craig, am eagerly awaiting a hype free review which is what I'm sure you will do

Oy, I did give it straight 5's, but the Nirvana got a couple of 6's.

:)

jad

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:51 pm

Is there any reason not to have te reinforcement?

Why would a builder leave it out other than it may save them a bit of money in construction?

Leave it out and people will complain with reason. I've never seen any post that says "damn, it has a reinforced te".

When I first read of this I figured it would be changed in the final kite. Covered le fittings are nice but there are easy after market fixes. Not so for the te which is more important as sail failure is a much (duh) worse problem.

Any kitestudio people on the thinking behind this?
JeffD

mmr11

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:47 pm

Jad, I had the same question as far as the leading edge protection and the reply was this
"I’ve just finished the trick line on the Fury. The trick line runs from the tail to the stand offs and then to the wingtips.
This protects the Trailing edge and keeps the Trailing edge adjustable, without the compromise of shudder on the lines from a heavy TE reinforcing."
This was the returned email I recieved from the workshop. If anyone has a problem with me posting this info please let me know and I will remove.
Thanks,

I still can’t wait to get the kite... :)

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:08 am

Oy, I did give it straight 5's, but the Nirvana got a couple of 6's.

Ed it goes without saying I take your reviews credibly, re my comments on a previous thread about Khite site and the videos getting me into this cheap hobby in the first place....one of the points ai made a while back was that to the beginner to serius kites, the reviews are most important when deciding what to get first or even seond, since you have a non existent or very limited reference point. The greater the number of reviews that you can read, the more informed your choice will be which must be a good thing.

jad

Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:45 am

mmr11 thanks.

That's a good answer.

Ed, what did you rate higher on the N than on the Fury?

Did you find tangle problems from the yo-yo line?

I join SteveR in appreciation for your reviews and info.

Though I have questions, I'm really looking forward to getting this kite. Once it gets some airtime I'm sure minor things will start to seem minor. As with the te explaintion, sometimes things can seem wrong or problematic at first and with experiance, make sense.
And then there's the part beyond the sense; do you like it?

I sure look forward to the electrical tape theory. :whaasup:
JeffD

Eddie Green

Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:17 pm

SteveR wrote:
Ed it goes without saying I take your reviews credibly, re my comments on a previous thread about Khite site and the videos getting me into this cheap hobby in the first place...

Sorry Steve. I get paranoid sometimes :)

jad wrote:
Ed, what did you rate higher on the N than on the Fury?

At the time the Nirvana got 6's for fade and wrap up type tricks. I am not so sure now. The whole rating system needs to be revised because kites are so complicated these days. :)

jad wrote:
Did you find tangle problems from the yo-yo line?

Actually as I fly on shorter lines which have a habit of going everywhere I think the yo-yo lines stop the flying lines flailing about so much and reduce tip wraps.

jad wrote:
I join SteveR in appreciation for your reviews and info.

Thank you. I can be an insecure bastard sometimes :)

jad wrote:
I sure look forward to the electrical tape theory.

It does a job. ;)

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:34 pm

Craig wrote
what I would consider to be the most important 2 line kite to come out of the UK since the Gemini.

Whilst waiting for the next flight instalment, apart from the Dot Matrix, what other British kites have there been since the Gemini :?
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:52 pm

apart from these : http://tinyurl.com/2vxrl only derivations of the Gem and Matrix.

Eddie Green

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:17 pm

Kites by British Companies / Designers

Dot Designs: Darkside1, 3 and Vent. Nitrik Pro. Elektron UL.

Mullin Kites: S4, Soniq and Abduction. Would like to fly them.

Flexifoil: Pulsar, Orbit, Atom. Still think the Pulsar is underestimated.

The Highwaymen: Phaser - a 6ft with a nice active bridle that was pretty cool.

Kites by British designers made elsewhere:

Dave Maddocks: Did some stuff, can't remember who for. GFAK?

Andy Preston: The Tribal for Eolo

any more?

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:25 am

John Taylor has a new kite built, so new it dont have a name... looks very area 51.... looked nice

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:45 am

Ah yes, I remember now. Anyone got views as to why these aren't important. Just to keep this going 'till we get Craig giving a bit more of the Fury review.
Jeremy

Stratford upon Avon

England

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:51 am

kHiTe wrote:
Kites by British Companies / Designers

Dot Designs: Darkside1, 3 and Vent. Nitrik Pro. Elektron UL.

Mullin Kites: S4, Soniq and Abduction. Would like to fly them.

Flexifoil: Pulsar, Orbit, Atom. Still think the Pulsar is underestimated.

The Highwaymen: Phaser - a 6ft with a nice active bridle that was pretty cool.

Kites by British designers made elsewhere:

Dave Maddocks: Did some stuff, can't remember who for. GFAK?

Andy Preston: The Tribal for Eolo

any more?

yeah they're around but I said:

"what I would consider to be the most important 2 line kite to come out of the UK since the Gemini"

and none of those are.

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:21 am

ERRRR there hasnt been one has there ????

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk