Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:53 pm

Yeah, it was your suggestion that spurred me to order the 2pt sticks for an alternate setting. Great suggestion in theory...but I haven't tested the pseudo SUL set up as of yet.

I will update the thread when I have something useful to say...which is hardly ever.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Mark E Mark

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Craig wrote:
Mark E Mark wrote:
2PT spreaders with a 3PT LE sounds a bit odd to me - or does it have 2PT ULE and 3PT LLE?

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
...and framed light in a LE of 2pt at the top and 3pt at the bottom

Oh right, hadn't really bothered to read it thoroughly - sorry.

nobbl2k

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Found the values: My SUL is 40 grams less than the UL.
I guess, they differ in more than the lower spreaders only.
Norbert

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Probably the spine weight, I doubt you save much using UL LE material.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:00 pm

nobbl2k wrote:
Found the values: My SUL is 40 grams less than the UL.
I guess, they differ in more than the lower spreaders only.

I asked Lam about the differences before deciding which version to buy - there are minor sail differences - but none that account for that sort weight difference.

As Craig has suggested the difference in weights mostly due to the weights in the spine ... the UL carries too much (by default) for my personal tastes.

-Frazer

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:18 am

Well, I have been playing about with my SD UL here in the land of zero wind (Lausanne CH)...and here's what I have been able to ring out.

Frazer is right...dissected the UL this past weekend. The UL had an "enormous" weight in the tail...and another something under the center T. Remove all that, and the bit outside the spine at the tail and it's nearly 25 grams of metal. I have now cut my own 8 gram brass rod that sits inside the spine at the tail. I don't know if this was "stock" as this kite was acquired second hand.

The kite as it is now then has 2ptULE, and 3pt LLE and spreaders, with the usual p200 spine. I haven't weighed the whole kite, but it is at least 18-20 grams lighter, if you just compare the metal changes I have made.

Yesterday night I had this kite out in barely perceptible winds (1-5km per hour), and it was everything it was before and more. I found it MUCH more floaty then in my previous outings (of course). I think I am finally getting it closer to what an UL should feel like (IMHO). My JL rungs were almost too slow (I had to make myself wait!), and my cascades were also slo-mo...real relaxed and behaved, less than half the speed of the standard.

The highlight of my day was an at first semi-accidental and then repeatable two-pop yo-yo. I hadn't tried this maneuver in a long while, and yesterday it was too easy. I was laughing out loud like a fool. It's so cool to fly wrapped and plunge to the ground, flare, and unwrap...what I have been missing! :cool: I wonder how easily this new trick will translate to other conditions....

One of those "forget about it for a while, and come back to it" trick revelations for sure. Learning more about this everyday.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Lam Hoac

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:50 am

Hi every one, I am back :) I was runing around for little while. I am ok now.

What about a kite with no weight at all and still do all those tricks. sound cool. :) You will see the fearless kite speak for it self. I wish you live close enough to try out my new kite. Oh well the video would help right?

Talk to you soon.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 am

Sounds like the Androgyn! :cool:

Lam Hoac

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:54 am

yes Boss :-). I will be in Northern France this weekend or next week, are you will be around to be able to go to France ? Let me know. Thanks JJay

For the kite you have to try it to believe it. 0 weight remember that, haha

Talk to you soon.

Lam

audiorob

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 am

Lam Hoac wrote:
Hi every one, I am back :) I was runing around for little while. I am ok now.

What about a kite with no weight at all and still do all those tricks. sound cool. :) You will see the fearless kite speak for it self. I wish you live close enough to try out my new kite. Oh well the video would help right?

Talk to you soon.

That sounds familiar... I bet it'd have a deep turtle and very light pull too? LS moved up, outter standoffs moved in, shorter upper spreader (maybe pulls the LE's in a bit?), perhaps trimmed the tail a bit...

Too bad you could never get anything like that before the fearless...

:lol: :P

good luck with the new kite lam, I'll be buying one :-D
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

tinez1

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:02 pm

:D Hi obijuan:
I´m from Argentina, and i cant find anyone here with a SD UL, wont you be able to tell me the dimensions of the bridles, are they the same of the STD?.

Please HELP!!!

thanks a lot
Rodrigo.
Rodrigo Daniel Martinez Silva.-
www.goodwinds.blogspot.com
have the best of the winds :-)