Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Sea Devil Mid Vent and sSUL

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 pm

I am not the best guy to review a kite. I haven't had that many, and those that I have had haven't had the work out they might have with another pilot. My tricks bag consists of figures, snappy half axels, endless cascades, flic flacs, single rungs of the JL, rolling susans, lazy susans, landings, and yo-yos. I am just starting...and I haven't even flown over snow yet!? Let me start by saying that more than three pilots have already been shocked at how wonderful the SD flies.

That being said, I have two SDs ( :oops: ). The standard is a wonderful kite, and it has taught me all I know. Build is top notch, no questions asked. It's also tough as nails...broke the spine ( :shock: ) on the second day I had it in way too much wind. That's been it. The weight provided is probably a bit light, but that's an easy mod. I fly with 15 grams on the tail right now. And it flies like a dream for me. It has great pressure at all times, and is very consistent through a nice wind range around 3 to 12 mph. It can be taken much higher (near 20) and a bit lower (2mph consistent wind), but it's priceless in the latter range. However, since the autumn and winter months bring stronger winds, I decided I needed a vented, but didn't want to lose too much of what the standard has.

Enter the mid-vent. From the start, I would suggest to anyone who doesn't have an SD and wants one to start here. I fly it stock, with 20 grams on the tail as Lam set it up. It's practically the same kite as the std, but with a wind range sweet spot far wider (somewhere around 7-20mph). It handles bumpy and gusty wind much better, and breaks out of flight with a lighter pop. I can't get enough of this kite. I put it on my lines whenever there is enough wind, even if the the std will also fly. Right now, anything above 10mph is a mid vent day. That's quite a luxury, but I could push it lower if I didn't have the std. I can pull beautifully sharp halfs, rolling susans, tight aggressive cascades, and instant fades in gusty 15-20mph without more than a step forward. I have been flying this kite a great deal lately, and I have nothing but awe for it. Furthermore, with the screens on, it's a beast capable of flying in even +25mph...although tricks are still awful tough then...even with this wing. At least one better pilot has also really rung this kite out in pretty stiff wind. It's just wonderful, and quite frankly better than the standard. If you must have only one...it should be the mid-vent.

Nevermind that mine is a custom black icarex sail, with red and white waves with green eyes and blue vents. It might sound a bit busy, but it's so sharp in the sky, it's not be believed (photos on web site below). I have a white standard, thus the black vented. However, I have seen vented white sails, and the stitching maybe stands out even better on them...very nice.

This is a tip top kite. Currently I am busy with getting flat 540s well in hand...lots of slack needed with this kite. The slot machine is also coming along...sorta the same trick family.

I just felt it was time for me to say how much I like these kites. If you are ever in Amsterdam...come fly them!

FA is your hook up for the Sea Devil...just so you know. :cool:
Last edited by ObijuanKenobe on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

nobbl2k

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:19 pm

Obi, thank you for the great review.
Now it's getting time for a SD SUL or UL! ;) :roll: 8)
Norbert

Lam Hoac

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:30 am

Hi JJay, Thanks for your nice words and good friend ship, I will try to make over there to see you and Norbert next year that would be so cool.

It is always good to hear from you my friend. Cool :D

I love the SD kite as much as you do. hopfuly make a new video this weekend. I hope the weather turn out good for the flight.

Have a great one :D

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, I got my hands on a sUL (sorta UL) SD two weeks ago. I have had a few times out with it, and I thought I should say something. Spent the bulk of the day flying, and went through the whole set today...MV, STD, and then sUL....

The problem with the standard SD is that it just has so much drive. We like it alot, but it has a very narrow sweet spot between 3.5 and 8 mph. Lower and it's a bit of work, and much higher and you need strength and speed galore. My mid-vent, as said previously, has really widened my wind range on the top end.

Enter the sUL. The sUL sail is lighter (light icarex)...and framed light in a LE of 2pt at the top and 3pt at the bottom, with 3pt blkdmd spreaders (I now also have a set of 2pt spreaders). All this translates to a kite that buzzes if you walk backwards. :shock: Tonight the wind was dead about an hour before sunset. This kite was amazing. It was tricking at the end of my 80kg 40m lineset without issue. I guess there was some wind, but my meter couldn't see it. I did my longest set (3) of JL rungs yet just tonight. That kicks ass.

I have some shorter lines for this kite, but I haven't gotten to see what it can do then as well. It seemed fine on the long set, so I never switched. I am amazed. :shock: I would love to lend it to one of you guys with an Akuji UL just to see if you are also impressed at all.

obi
Last edited by ObijuanKenobe on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:59 pm

OK, here's an update. The kite I have is a sUL (sorta UL). It's a bit lighter in the nose, with 2pt up there. But calling an sSUL was a misnomer.

Today, I had it in ZERO wind. Yesterday would have been something of a breath...let's say this, the wind had a detectable direction at times. Today...NOTHING. And this kite was very heavy. Pumping could get it to the top of my short 30m lines, but maybe I needed shorter lines even Still, I think I will try to drop the tail weight, or make a 4g version...it seemed just a bit too heavy for ZERO. Interesting for me, as yesterday I was astounded. Today, a bit humbled.

Don't misunderstand, still a great kite. But now I see how much a difference there still can be between a true SUL and an UL.

Having a BLAST with Lam's kites! I am guessing after my last few experiences, that everyone would agree that real ZERO wind dead wind tricking is for the master's only? With a breath of wind yesterday, I was laughing out loud. Today, I felt like a beginner again.

Nice to know there's plenty of room to grow.

obi

Infinitive

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:49 pm

I really think you might have more luck flying a SUL on less than 30m. Most people fly standard kites on less than that - I personally feel most in control on 25m, and on an UL about 15m. With an UL your lines make a huge difference - try flying it with just 15 of very fine line and you'll see what I mean.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

kaasplank

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:09 pm

Flying with such short lines makes your window very limited. I prefer lines about 40 meters, 30 on an UL.

flying indoors is a good way to learn to handle kites in zero wind.

nobbl2k

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi Obi,

there's still some difference between the true SD SUL and the UL.
I have both and the SUL has 2PTs in both the LE and the lower spreaders, less additional weight and a lighter nose than the UL. I don't know, if Lam saved more weight anywhere else too, but I weighed both kites some time ago and I found, that the SUL is quite a bit lighter than the UL (don't know the values currently anymore).

In flight the SUL goes down to almost nothing. The UL is much more difficult to fly in those conditions, because it has a lot more inertia with all that additional weight.

The SUL is a blast in the lowest wind, because it is the only SUL kite I have flown so far, which does one pop yo-yos, wapdoowaps and such without any problem. And it still feels like a SD. 8)

I have not flown an Akuji SUL though. It must be a very nice beast too.
Norbert

Bugly

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:26 pm

I think OB means 30 foot lines :-P, or at least hopes he does. :oops:

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am

Well...actually, I have nothing shorter than 30m right now...with two sets longer than 45m (for the XTs VV). And after a few more sessions, the UL Sea Devil on 30m is about right. You need some detectable wind, and then it's happy as hell on 30m. If I ever try this kite in zero (true no wind outdoors), I am sure you are all right about needing to shorten the lines.

The post should be named SD UL...it's not an SUL that I have. It only has 2pt in the upper leading edge...so it's a lighter UL is all. Still needs wind.

obi

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:30 am

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
The post should be named SD UL...it's not an SUL that I have. It only has 2pt in the upper leading edge...so it's a lighter UL is all.

I have a stock SD UL in my hands and it's framed with 2PT LE's and 3PT spreaders.

If yours has 3PT LLE's then it's heavier not lighter than the stock UL.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Ahhh....thanks Craig! That's helpful for sure. I have also 2pt spreaders with a 3pt LLE...so it can be a heavy SUL or a heavy UL...depending on the day. Thanks for the head's up.

obi

Mark E Mark

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 pm

2PT spreaders with a 3PT LE sounds a bit odd to me - or does it have 2PT ULE and 3PT LLE?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:02 pm

Mark E Mark wrote:
2PT spreaders with a 3PT LE sounds a bit odd to me - or does it have 2PT ULE and 3PT LLE?

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
...and framed light in a LE of 2pt at the top and 3pt at the bottom

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Craig wrote:
ObijuanKenobe wrote:
The post should be named SD UL...it's not an SUL that I have. It only has 2pt in the upper leading edge...so it's a lighter UL is all.

I have a stock SD UL in my hands and it's framed with 2PT LE's and 3PT spreaders.

Thats what mine has - with a 2nd set of 2pt spreaders to bring it closer to SUL spec.

-Frazer