2p LE
Super Skinny SUL lower spreaders
avia .180 (4.57mm) Spine
4mm Upper spreader
Original (3mm) Standoffs
Added leach line
Original turbo bridle
10g weight
I was eager for some low wind to try this conversion out. With winds down to 1 and up to a max of 3, today looked good, so we headed out this afternoon to give it a go.

Weighing in at 216g (with weight) it was immediately obviously lighter than the standard without losing much in terms of rigidity. On 100 foot of line it soared easily to the top of the window and once I got used to the slight over-rotation (compared to the standard on the team conversion bridle) in the turns I was getting some snappy squares and cool straight tracking lines in the lightest of winds.

3/4 Axels, as you'd expect (especially from a hack like myself) were not much different from the standard. Cascades however go on forever, just nailed to the sky flip-flopping back and forth... lovely. Slots and 540s easy as ever as long as you remember to give it a bit of power and forward momentum. It seemed pretty solid in the fade, given that I was walking backward to maintain it and backspins were there, but inconsistent, which was likely more down to poor technique than the kite, as there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Rolls up fairly easily on a turtle, especially with a double pop, and goes round in one on the flic (or is it the flac?) given enough slack. I'm not good enough to try any wrapped up tricks. Ladders were soft and floaty and I got my best ever on this, completing three rungs (downwards :( - but it's still three).

A lovely balanced fly-away makes regaining lost ground a piece of cake, even allowing a shuffling jog forward.

For a laugh as we packed up I stuck on 50' of line and it's something completely different again - most UnNirvanary... interesting. 360s were notably easy at this length. I'd like to try it again on the short lines to see what I can get it to do.

If you don't want to splash for a 'proper' N. UL. I'd recommend this reframe job on a second hand... cost me about £160 all in for the kite and the sticks. I'd like to compare it to a real one to see how different they are. I believe it weighs in somewhere between the UL and the SUL, although R-Sky only lists weights for the standard, and I reckon that's about 40g out (too light).
Last edited by Andy S on Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:59 pm

HUL (Hibbert Ultra Light) :lol:
Phew.................................glad it all worked out.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:28 pm

Andy, serious question for once (from me) given access to just one nirvana, and consider a dislike of high wind flying (above 10mph) is it worht converting a std to toi the "HUL" spec permanently as the default vana?
Given also the jim and I established that the Impact std and UL versions have naff all difference in the sail layout (the colour differences suggest an optically illusioned otherwise), and assuming that this may also be the case for the vana.....whats your thoughts....????

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:46 am

Can I answer? Well I will , I wouldn't recommend the conversion to 2p spars (maybe a bit too light) but maybe think about Skyshark 3pt allround if you want something a bit lighter than standard.

Zippy8

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:47 am

2p LE
Super Skinny SUL lower spreaders
avia .180 (4.57mm) Spine
4mm Upper spreader

I still reckon on that spine being too floppy. Isn't it bent into an S-shape ?

For the same(ish) weight I would have thought a P100 or Avia Excel UL would be far stiffer. But if it works for you, good luck to you.

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:51 am

Zippy8 wrote:

Not noticeably... It's hard to check it closely from 100ft, but it doesn't look like an SL7... I'll try and get someone down the other end. Looks like standard weather today anyway.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:21 am

Zippy8 wrote:

But, does it matter ?
If 4mm carbon is good enough for Roger T-G on the (no expense spared) SUL, then I would have thought .180 (4.57mm) would be fine, and a little stiffer.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:53 pm

SteveR wrote:
Andy, serious question for once (from me) given access to just one nirvana, and consider a dislike of high wind flying (above 10mph) is it worht converting a std to toi the "HUL" spec permanently as the default vana?
Given also the jim and I established that the Impact std and UL versions have naff all difference in the sail layout (the colour differences suggest an optically illusioned otherwise), and assuming that this may also be the case for the vana.....whats your thoughts....????

I'd say it probably wouldn't stand up to anything over 6mph very well... you'll want a standard as well. Try the static bridle mod for higher winds (10+) and see what you think... it's a quick in-the-field mod, less than 20 seconds once you've placed the knot.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:34 pm

thanks andy, will give it a try next time out with higher winds. To be honest, the onyl kite i ever really enjoy flying in winds above 12-15 mph is the phantom on monster lines, nary a flat spin or rotation in sight

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:01 pm

Had mine out this afternoon, and am very pleased with the result, was flying very nicely from 1 to 4 I'd guess. Started pulling a bit at 4 so unhooked the leech line, and back to noisey Nirvana, but did slow things down somewhat. A great "cheap" alternative to the elusive R-Sky SUL & UL duo. :thumbsup:

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:51 pm

How have you attached the leech line?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:09 pm

SteveR wrote:
How have you attached the leech line?

through the black material along the trailing edge.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:29 pm

but mines grey.....

Thanks craig, hadnt checked it and wasnt sure if its a "hollow" TE

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:40 pm

Out near the spine, three times round and back in again. Allows for a wee bit of adjustment.

jimothy

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:57 pm

Just reframed mine - 2p LEs with APA standoff connectors instead of LE connectors and 4mm upper spreader - rest as standard.

Tested today in zerowind conditions - flew well as long as you kept moving - balance point in turtle deep, but not too deep. Fade VERY stable, but couldn't get a backspin going (my technique, probably) . Ladders fine. V Nice cascades, cointosses, etc. Full axels and 540s showed typical symptoms of lack of weight, but a steadier, less "poppy" pull seemed to do the trick.

Definitely needs a leachline - got flutter whenever i ran too fast.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale